P0305 Cylinder Misfire, Flashing Engine Light @3k rpm HELP I tried a few things

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another thought when you cleaned the surfaces or when you pulled the heads off possible you bent any of the plugs? Ive done that for sure lol check compression and at least 1 plug on each cylinder its going to be something stupid.

OP
OP
SimonStu

SimonStu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Spark plugs? I replaced them all after i had heads installed with brand new OEM ones.

Spoke to a local dodge dealer mech. And he thinks possibly oil control valve, says they usually plug with worn cam. Could this be the culprit?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Spark plugs? I replaced them all after i had heads installed with brand new OEM ones.

Spoke to a local dodge dealer mech. And he thinks possibly oil control valve, says they usually plug with worn cam. Could this be the culprit?
Test compression before you do anything else if you dont have a tester harbor freight or any other auto store sells them cheap.

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Rooting for you bud. Don’t give up. You got this.

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Did you check oil pressure? I’m shooting in the dark but wouldn’t bad oil control valve show low pressure?

OP
OP
SimonStu

SimonStu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ordered a compression tester, maybe find out next weekend what's going on.
Truck will have to be on the back burner for a while, have guests coming next Sunday and gone to camp all week, and no $ to throw at it right now. My luck.

I have no oil pressure gauge on dash, no idea.
Will be back in touch once I test compression, else will throw this truck away for nothing, too much time and $$$ wasted in just 3 months.

Tho I definitely appreciate all the help and answers from everyone.

OP
OP
SimonStu

SimonStu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Double and triple check push rods the most common cause of misfire after cam they can appear to be clicked in and one wont be all the way. I do this literally almost every time I rebuild a 5.7 never fails Also you may wanna check the VVT solenoid easy to break when pulling the cam.

Hi there, I am back after collecting myself, only took 3 months lol.

YOU were 100% right! The issue was the VVT SOLENOID, and an unseated exhaust pushrod on cyl 6 causing a misfire.

Previous owner of truck got ahold of me and mentioned he has replaced the VVT solenoid 2x already, that's when I realized I haven't actually checked that yet, as when you mentioned it in this post I mistaken it for the crank sensor which I did replace.

Ran 80% better instantly but then unseated a push rod right after, throwing a P0306 code, misfire in #6.

Changed plugs out with 4 different ones, switched fuel injectors, changed coil pack, checked wiring and still misfire, also smoke coming from injecting hole when I pulled it from the intake, when lead me to believe exhaust valve not opening. Pulled valve cover and sure enough exhaust pushrod was just laying there for cyl #6.

Seated all rods on that rocker arm again and checked for straightness on #6 on a glass table, rod is straight and appears undamaged.

Started truck and now runs and sounds smooth. Took it up and down the road and seems nice!

Only thing it is smoking a bit white still, maybe water in oil from ripping timing cover off second time when I already had coolant in it? Can't see water on dipstick, or on oil cap yet, no bubbling in radiator when truck is running, and doesn't look like I'm loosing coolant. Maybe too early to tell until I take it for a real drive and get it up to temp good.

Tho I did take special attention to installing the headgasket, so hope that's not the issue.