P0750 Code - Safe to Drive Home

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KrisK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’ve got quite a predicament. My 2017 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi with 84k miles had the transmission go out about a month ago. Of course the powertrain warranty had expired, so I paid a good local shop to replace the transmission with a remanufactured Jasper 66RFE transmission. I picked it up two weeks ago with the new transmission.

Last Friday I hauled my 11k pound travel trailer 500 miles north to Pigeon Forge, TN for a vacation. The truck drove fine on the way up while hauling the camper. Yesterday, while not hauling anything, I was sitting at a stoplight and the gear selector displayed 4 and the check engine light came on. I thought I may have bumped the manual gear selector, but I could not change the gear and shifting from drive to park did not change anything. When I took off from the light it was obvious I was not in first gear. I pulled over, shut the truck off and restarted it. The transmission was fine until I stopped at the next traffic light. It has been acting similarly since where it will drive ok when first started the after a while show 4th gear selected.

I called Jasper since I have a 3yr/100k mile warranty, and they gave me the names of some local shops. I only found one shop who would even be able to look at it this week, but they can’t do any repairs or replacement before next week. Problem is, I have a camper setup here, and I need to get home by Saturday. I did have a code scanner with me, and the transmission is giving code P0750 which is shift solenoid A. From googling it appears to be a problem with the solenoid for shifting from first to second.

So, my question is, how big of a risk am I taking if I try to pull my camper home before the issue is fixed? My options are to leave my truck with the local shop, find somewhere to store my camper, rent a car to drive home, then come back to get the camper and truck when fixed, or I can try to make it home where I could take the truck back to the shop that did the install.

I really don’t want to leave the truck and camper here, and my hope is since I lock out my transmission in 4th gear anyway when towing the camper, that once I got on the highway and up to speed I may be ok. The tricky part is it feels like the transmission is starting in second gear when it throws the code, which with the heavy camper is going to be tough to get going. I’m hopeful I can restart the truck if it gives the code to buy me enough time to get up to speed. The drive home is mostly interstate, so once I get on the highway the only stops would be for gas.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've driven my truck home with the same problem and nothing bad happened on the 1000km drive, but I wouldn't do it with the camper.

OP
OP
KrisK

KrisK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've driven my truck home with the same problem and nothing bad happened on the 1000km drive, but I wouldn't do it with the camper.
Thanks for the input. What had to be done to fix the problem in your truck?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
But it's a trans reman shop so they'll probably just change out the bad solenoid and clean the body in case it was some loose gunk that caused the problem. Transmission doesn't have to come out for that so it's not a big repair.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
This is why I have my trans rebuilt by a reputable local shop if I can't get a certified manufacturer rebuild. Jasper sucks at pretty much everything they touch.

Ask me sometime about the 6.4 Powerstroke my FIL ended up with by Jasper. 3 different diameter pistons.

BBJYD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’ve got quite a predicament. My 2017 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi with 84k miles had the transmission go out about a month ago. Of course the powertrain warranty had expired, so I paid a good local shop to replace the transmission with a remanufactured Jasper 66RFE transmission. I picked it up two weeks ago with the new transmission.

Last Friday I hauled my 11k pound travel trailer 500 miles north to Pigeon Forge, TN for a vacation. The truck drove fine on the way up while hauling the camper. Yesterday, while not hauling anything, I was sitting at a stoplight and the gear selector displayed 4 and the check engine light came on. I thought I may have bumped the manual gear selector, but I could not change the gear and shifting from drive to park did not change anything. When I took off from the light it was obvious I was not in first gear. I pulled over, shut the truck off and restarted it. The transmission was fine until I stopped at the next traffic light. It has been acting similarly since where it will drive ok when first started the after a while show 4th gear selected.

I called Jasper since I have a 3yr/100k mile warranty, and they gave me the names of some local shops. I only found one shop who would even be able to look at it this week, but they can’t do any repairs or replacement before next week. Problem is, I have a camper setup here, and I need to get home by Saturday. I did have a code scanner with me, and the transmission is giving code P0750 which is shift solenoid A. From googling it appears to be a problem with the solenoid for shifting from first to second.

So, my question is, how big of a risk am I taking if I try to pull my camper home before the issue is fixed? My options are to leave my truck with the local shop, find somewhere to store my camper, rent a car to drive home, then come back to get the camper and truck when fixed, or I can try to make it home where I could take the truck back to the shop that did the install.

I really don’t want to leave the truck and camper here, and my hope is since I lock out my transmission in 4th gear anyway when towing the camper, that once I got on the highway and up to speed I may be ok. The tricky part is it feels like the transmission is starting in second gear when it throws the code, which with the heavy camper is going to be tough to get going. I’m hopeful I can restart the truck if it gives the code to buy me enough time to get up to speed. The drive home is mostly interstate, so once I get on the highway the only stops would be for gas.
What ended up happening with your trans? I have the same code with my Jasper. Did they give you a hard time with the warranty?

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Limp mode usually locks you into 1 and 4 so it would make sense that it's a 1-2 solenoid that's bad so you start in 2. I could see driving it that way but not hauling your trailer. The gearing on these things is steep and I often can't hold second with my trailer unless I'm well above 30MPH. I couldn't imagine trying to start in that gear. I think you'd quickly have even more problems. If it's any indication I heard that 2nd on the new 8spd is the same ratio as 1st on ours so you're effectively starting out in third on the new tranny.

There sure are a lot of valve body problems with these trannys all of the sudden. I knew Ram was never known for churning out great transmissions but this is getting ridiculous.