Performance Street Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T Jones

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any ideas on a mild to moderate performance build for the street? I have a 2014 Ram Express 5.7. It has the 6spd transmission and a 3:55 rear axle. I'm wanting something that will give me more performance in the low to mid range, although I wouldn't mind some top end power as well. For low to mid range will my stock cam be good enough, or maybe a 392 cam and intake with a larger tb? Long tube headers, etc...

RAM-3A.jpg

Last edited:

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
If it's not a posi rear that's probably the first thing to change. Your choice to keep the 3:55 (I would) or up it to 3:92 (requires reprogramming).
Then get a Pedal Commander & set it to Sport+ and have fun!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Any ideas on a mild to moderate performance build for the street? I have a 2014 Ram Express 5.7. It has the 6spd transmission and a 3:55 rear axle. I'm wanting something that will give me more performance in the low to mid range, although I wouldn't mind some top end power as well. For low to mid range will my stock cam be good enough, or maybe a 392 cam and intake with a larger tb? Long tube headers, etc...

RAM-3A.jpg

A 3200 to 3600 rpm convertor and 3.92 gears with long tube headers with a custom tune will wake it right up.If you want a bit more an aftermarket cam from Moes / Greene Racing /TSP will add a bit more,not worth doing a factory 392 cam,go right to one of the outfits that specializes in truck cams,and do the newer style lifters affectionally called the Hellcat lifters,but are pretty well the standard over the counter lifter available from your local dealer or online Mopar dealer now.You're tranny is the weak link in your truck,learn how to drive the truck to keep it alive,that means no wide open down shifts at highway speeds,always manually downshift it before mashing the skinny pedal to pass another car,no wide open runs in high gear/overdrive,but you're good to hammer it out of the hole from a stop.The RFE tranny in your truck was originally designed to go behind the little 4.7 so you need to learn how to drive the truck to keep the tranny alive for any length of time , if you starting putting some horsepower to the transmission,or else get good at swapping the transmission fairly often.Nice truck,i like it,looks really good.

Last edited:

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A 3200 to 3600 rpm convertor and 3.92 gears with long tube headers with a custom tune will wake it right up.If you want a bit more an aftermarket cam from Moes / Greene Racing /TSP will add a bit more,not worth doing a factory 392 cam,go right to one of the outfits that specializes in truck cams,and do the newer style lifters affectionally called the Hellcat lifters,but are pretty well the standard over the counter lifter available from your local dealer or online Mopar dealer now.You're tranny is the weak link in your truck,learn how to drive the truck to keep it alive,that means no wide open down shifts at highway speeds,always manually downshift it before mashing the skinny pedal to pass another car,no wide open runs in high gear/overdrive,but you're good to hammer it out of the hole from a stop.The RFE tranny in your truck was originally designed to go behind the little 4.7 so you need to learn how to drive the truck to keep the tranny alive for any length of time if you starting putting some horsepower to the transmission,or else get good at swapping the transmission fairly often.
How correct!! Learn to drive your truck, that’s a big key no one mentions. My 6 has done well, even against the 8’s cause I learned how to find my strong points. Beautiful truck, have fun modding!

OP
OP
T Jones

T Jones

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A 3200 to 3600 rpm convertor and 3.92 gears with long tube headers with a custom tune will wake it right up.If you want a bit more an aftermarket cam from Moes / Greene Racing /TSP will add a bit more,not worth doing a factory 392 cam,go right to one of the outfits that specializes in truck cams,and do the newer style lifters affectionally called the Hellcat lifters,but are pretty well the standard over the counter lifter available from your local dealer or online Mopar dealer now.You're tranny is the weak link in your truck,learn how to drive the truck to keep it alive,that means no wide open down shifts at highway speeds,always manually downshift it before mashing the skinny pedal to pass another car,no wide open runs in high gear/overdrive,but you're good to hammer it out of the hole from a stop.The RFE tranny in your truck was originally designed to go behind the little 4.7 so you need to learn how to drive the truck to keep the tranny alive for any length of time , if you starting putting some horsepower to the transmission,or else get good at swapping the transmission fairly often.Nice truck,i like it,looks really good.
Yeah, I'm not too fond of my 6 spd. I've always considered it the weak link in my truck too. I'd love to swap it out for the 8 spd. Even with my 5.7 bone stock ,and even staying with the 3.55s, I think the 8 spd. alone would make a world of difference in the way my truck performs. The way it is now you have to hit the throttle at the right time to wake up this 6 spd. It just doesn't have the hefty gearing that 8 spd has.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah, I'm not too fond of my 6 spd. I've always considered it the weak link in my truck too. I'd love to swap it out for the 8 spd. Even with my 5.7 bone stock ,and even staying with the 3.55s, I think the 8 spd. alone would make a world of difference in the way my truck performs. The way it is now you have to hit the throttle at the right time to wake up this 6 spd. It just doesn't have the hefty gearing that 8 spd has.

My 8 speed 4X4 started life as a 3.21 geared truck,but now has 3.55's in it. When FCA introduced the 8 speed in the MY 13's they did offer the trucks with 3.21's / 3.55's and 3.92's i'm not sure why they quit offering the 3.55's after that though,as i think alot of guys would of liked to have the 3.55 option as a middle of the road between the 3.21's and 3.92's. It's not like they didn't already have the 3.55's in the parts line,as the majority of the earlier 5/6 speed trucks came through with 3.55's,so to offer it with the 8 speed wouldn't of meant much cost wise to the bottom line of the trucks.
The 8 speed swap into the earlier trucks is becoming a little more common now that Russell at Sound German is offering a stand alone ecu for the swap.There's a thread on here talking about it right now.

T-Case help!! | DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

OP
OP
T Jones

T Jones

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 8 speed 4X4 started life as a 3.21 geared truck,but now has 3.55's in it. When FCA introduced the 8 speed in the MY 13's they did offer the trucks with 3.21's / 3.55's and 3.92's i'm not sure why they quit offering the 3.55's after that though,as i think alot of guys would of liked to have the 3.55 option as a middle of the road between the 3.21's and 3.92's. It's not like they didn't already have the 3.55's in the parts line,as the majority of the earlier 5/6 speed trucks came through with 3.55's,so to offer it with the 8 speed wouldn't of meant much cost wise to the bottom line of the trucks.
The 8 speed swap into the earlier trucks is becoming a little more common now that Russell at Sound German is offering a stand alone ecu for the swap.There's a thread on here talking about it right now.

T-Case help!! | DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums
I agree. I think the 3.55s would have made a good pairing with the 8 spd. Even with the 3.21s the 8 spd still gets a good launch off the line. The 3.55s would have been perfect for the 8 spd., imo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956