PIN number question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmie Hensley

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hi I just recently had a key made for my 2018 ram 2500 I asked the locksmith if he had access to my pin and he said yes he needed to use it to program my key

I asked him for the pin knowing the dealers are now not wanting to give them out

Now to the question.. is this the same pin I would use to reset my tpms thresholds? I’ve heard there is a rotating/changing pin and a constant pin

thanks for the help

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
They usually are given a rotating pin. If your dealer is unwilling to give it to you, you have 2 options, either try a different dealer or use a app called Chrysler pin puller.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

Jendsley06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't know of the rotating pin for our trucks. I thought it was just the static pin. My wife's 200 has a rotating pin though. Just try your dealers parts counter. They should just need proof that it's your vehicle and give it to you. If you don't ask you won't know

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To the best of my knowledge the 4 digit pin is all thats needed. If you read through the ALFAOBD thread they give a pretty good explanation about the two types of codes. IIRC the 4 digit one is all we need for keys

EDIT from another thread

2019ram150057 said:
just wanted to see if someone could answer this for me. i got a pin code for the RFH and the dealer said that it is only good for 24 hrs. is that the truth or are they blowing smoke again. the code did work for programming the key tip fob. just wanted to know if it runs out some how

Ignorance runs ramped to dealers regarding this subject and your dealer is no different. There are some FCA vehicles that have a rolling PIN but our trucks aren't one of them. At least not yet.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
To the best of my knowledge the 4 digit pin is all thats needed. If you read through the ALFAOBD thread they give a pretty good explanation about the two types of codes. IIRC the 4 digit one is all we need for keys

EDIT from another thread

2019ram150057 said:
just wanted to see if someone could answer this for me. i got a pin code for the RFH and the dealer said that it is only good for 24 hrs. is that the truth or are they blowing smoke again. the code did work for programming the key tip fob. just wanted to know if it runs out some how

Ignorance runs ramped to dealers regarding this subject and your dealer is no different. There are some FCA vehicles that have a rolling PIN but our trucks aren't one of them. At least not yet.
The OP was given the PIN that his locksmith received for his truck. That means that the locksmith logged into techauthority with his license/credentials, and was given a PIN that expires. This is a different PIN than the one that the parts department at the dealership would give you.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't quite get the confusion. If you read the ALFAODB Thread I mentioned people there use the 4 digit pin I mentioned for the tire threshold . I don't know what the parts guy gives or anyone else . All I am saying is according to the ALFAOBD people are changing the tire threshold he is asking about using the the code you get by using the 4 digit permanent PIN that you can get from the Chrysler PIN puller. That number does not rotate , jump , spin around or do flips. Once you have it it stays with the vehicle . If I am still misunderstanding the question this thread should be the place to ask or find it alfaobd.123982

EDIT I do see their is a bypass cable (?) needed for a 2018 and newer and if thats the question I don't know the procedure but it is in the thread I just mention as thats where I just saw it .
alpha-obd-dealer-code.152886

page-353

Last edited:

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I don't quite get the confusion. If you read the ALFAODB Thread I mentioned people there use the 4 digit pin I mentioned for the tire threshold . I don't know what the parts guy gives or anyone else . All I am saying is according to the ALFAOBD people are changing the tire threshold he is asking about using the the code you get by using the 4 digit permanent PIN that you can get from the Chrysler PIN puller. That number does not rotate , jump , spin around or do flips. Once you have it it stays with the vehicle . If I am still misunderstanding the question this thread should be the place to ask or find it alfaobd.123982

EDIT I do see their is a bypass cable (?) needed for a 2018 and newer and if thats the question I don't know the procedure but it is in the thread I just mention as thats where I just saw it .
alpha-obd-dealer-code.152886

page-353

Starting simple. There are 3 (I believe) pin numbers

1- a permanent pin for the rf hub. Needed to program fobs or change anything related with the rf hub

2. A rotating pin number. Given to locksmiths that is only good for maybe 24 hour's.

3. A four digit pin with a letter ex. Either g1234 or 1234g, which if I remember is the code for the cut key in the fob.

Dealer's often confuse 1 with 2 but still give you the correct pin. Sometimes 3.

Ignore anything the dealer tells you about the pin being valid for 24 hour's. The only thing that maybe true is they are limited on how many pins they can access or give out in a day. A lot of dealers are unaware of the ability as owners we now have and need them less and less. Most parts and service people know the basics of the products. It's a job. Hell most salesmen only know what's in the brochure and know nothing more. Any time I'm at the dealer I use (which is rare now) I'm usually educating them on what's going on with ram truck's. The more they know the better their service will be for the next informed person asking about something out of the ordinary.

Edit. Apparently the 2019+ have a rotating pin every 12 hour's for the rf hub.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

Last edited:

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So has anyone successfully used Chrysler pin puller on a 2019? I tried it on my truck tonight, but no joy, want to know if it's just me, or if it doesn't work on the 2019's...

Trying to change my tpms threshold and eventually add a remote start fob