Possible lifter/cam failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MAC830203

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 408
Burner might be to something. Before going nuts, do a compression test on all cyl. I have an adj TPS and what a mess when it’s bad. O2 go bad too. New hemi’s do have cam/ lifter oil fiascos. If you endure traffic jams, that causes a lifter lube issue. But, the cost to replace is nuts. But, doa compression check first. You’ll know what direction to go. PS, if you do decide to rebuild, check on a lifter oil spray tube.

OP
OP
W

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI

passenger side of the motor where I was getting the misfire code.
Don’t have time to pull the valve cover now I had to drive to Phoenix for a job this morning. Figured I’d try to figure out how to post a video though

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
How long has the tick be there? Lets start there. Burla knows his stuff. I got the tick for a little bit around 63k and I did seafoam in the crank case for 100 miles at 60mph followed by switching to Castrol edge with a puralator boss filter. I am at 140k and never again has it returned. Oil pressure is excellent and it pulls so well. Lots of power in that motor.
When you say you did seafoam in the crankcase I'm assuming you added half a can of seafoam motor treatment to your oil? I switched to Castrol Edge full synthetic and it made idle quieter with Mobil 1 extended performance filter. I would like to try the treatment.

Last edited:

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4X4 Crew White/Chrome
I keep seeing this recommendation to replace the bottom end, but almost everyone including folks on this forum over the years, just swaps cam and lifters and goes on about their day without issue...motor swaps just seem so excessive lol

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I keep seeing this recommendation to replace the bottom end, but almost everyone including folks on this forum over the years, just swaps cam and lifters and goes on about their day without issue...motor swaps just seem so excessive lol

It depends if failure progressed to the point of putting metal chunks into the engine.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
It depends if failure progressed to the point of putting metal chunks into the engine.
One hopes to catch the cam eaten up to the point where only the lobes are worn to the point of throwing a CEL and just need to replace the lifters and the cam and nothing else. but even that is a major *****.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963