Power Wagons ... Post em up!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
Didn't realize you were lifting it. But as IRSmart said you might really want to look into using thuren stuff. They are pretty much the standard for PW suspension components. You could just do their 1.5" leveling springs and a +18 to +27 offset wheel and have 37's with no rub. Wheel the crap outta it and be confident crap won't break. Not trying to tell ya what to do, just giving you other options. Especially if you plan on doing any wheeling in the beast.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I didn’t know about thuren until now. Already have the rough country kit. I figure I’ll just go with that until something breaks and talk to thuren when it does. When I googled lift kits for the power wagon they never came up.

Btw I don’t consider ones advice or opinion as telling me what to do. I take what they say and research. I put an email into thuren with some questions after I read their tech sections and looked at everything they offer.

One would think that’s the entire reason we come together on these forums. Is for advice and another prospective, but sadly we all know that the ******* type personality of I know what’s best for you/you don’t know **** or what’s best for me is abound. I really do appreciate both your advice and IRSmart and anyone else for that matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
I didn’t know about thuren until now. Already have the rough country kit. I figure I’ll just go with that until something breaks and talk to thuren when it does. When I googled lift kits for the power wagon they never came up.

Btw I don’t consider ones advice or opinion as telling me what to do. I take what they say and research. I put an email into thuren with some questions after I read their tech sections and looked at everything they offer.

One would think that’s the entire reason we come together on these forums. Is for advice and another prospective, but sadly we all know that the ******* type personality of I know what’s best for you/you don’t know **** or what’s best for me is abound. I really do appreciate both your advice and IRSmart and anyone else for that matter.

Glad we can help out. I just like to let people know I'm not trying to be a know it all douche...lol There quite a bit of good info on here and power wagon registry as well. You'll here a alot of different opinions on lift options but I feel like alot of the PW guys steer towards Thuren, Carli and a handful go AEV.

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
Glad we can help out. I just like to let people know I'm not trying to be a know it all douche...lol There quite a bit of good info on here and power wagon registry as well. You'll here a alot of different opinions on lift options but I feel like alot of the PW guys steer towards Thuren, Carli and a handful go AEV.

I went the rough country route cause it’s a 4.5” lift and I couldn’t find anyone who did a larger lift kit. I really want a 6” but no dice.

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
I went the rough country route cause it’s a 4.5” lift and I couldn’t find anyone who did a larger lift kit. I really want a 6” but no dice.

That thing is gonna be huge with a 4" I can't even imagine a 6". I'm so short a level is almost to much for me [emoji23]

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
That thing is gonna be huge with a 4" I can't even imagine a 6". I'm so short a level is almost to much for me [emoji23]

I’m 5’6” but being former army I’ve driven everything but an m1. This includes wheel and track :)

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
I’m 5’6” but being former army I’ve driven everything but an m1. This includes wheel and track :)

I got an inch on ya...lol I used to drive cougars and MATVs in the Marines. Must be a thing with little guys and their big trucks[emoji38]

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
I got an inch on ya...lol I used to drive cougars and MATVs in the Marines. Must be a thing with little guys and their big trucks[emoji38]

Maybe but I’m not compensating like most [emoji38]

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
Tell you what, you buy these and then i will trade you for my pw radius arms LOL

https://pure-performance.biz/4_link..._pres_ram_3500_hd_4x4_front_pure_performance/

Actually, Michael Harpe will be replacing his radius arms with that rough country lift... get in contact with him!

I’m hoping I can help 22hemi13 out. I got a reply back from thuren btw. Since I like how the factory springs handle on the power wagon with their stiffness, thuren said I wouldn’t like their springs. However I can use their sway bar end Links. He did say with current setup, so I don’t know if that meant stock or after rc lift. Should I break and end link, I’ll find out lol.

And Hemi, just give in and get a pw. Personally I would have liked to get the 19 with the 8 speed auto. But I’m happy with Trixie :) (that her name. Read John ringo’s the black tide rising series to understand why.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I’m hoping I can help 22hemi13 out. I got a reply back from thuren btw. Since I like how the factory springs handle on the power wagon with their stiffness, thuren said I wouldn’t like their springs. However I can use their sway bar end Links. He did say with current setup, so I don’t know if that meant stock or after rc lift. Should I break and end link, I’ll find out lol.

And Hemi, just give in and get a pw. Personally I would have liked to get the 19 with the 8 speed auto. But I’m happy with Trixie :) (that her name. Read John ringo’s the black tide rising series to understand why.

Yeah the 19 8spd is nice. My trucks cheap lol and already have done mods. Thuren I absolutely love my stuff. Won’t lie. I like to see people’s faces when I table that long ole big rig out and they’re all “how’d you get that thing out here” haha

Last edited:

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L

People make “4.5” lifts” for Power Wagons because they’re 6” kits for regular 2500s.

For the 2014+ trucks Thuren only offers 2” and 3” options for the front (0.5” and 1.5” on PWs) and one rear setup that’s dead level with a 3” front, or gives a little rake with a 2” front. I wouldn’t count on any of his stuff being compatible with that 4.5” Rough Country kit.

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
People make “4.5” lifts” for Power Wagons because they’re 6” kits for regular 2500s.

For the 2014+ trucks Thuren only offers 2” and 3” options for the front (0.5” and 1.5” on PWs) and one rear setup that’s dead level with a 3” front, or gives a little rake with a 2” front. I wouldn’t count on any of his stuff being compatible with that 4.5” Rough Country kit.

Low_sky so your saying that with the rough country front springs, and 2” coil spacers in back, I’ll essentially have a 6” lift? That was my actual desire was a 6” lift. As for thuren products, the xhd sway bar end links are all that I can use.

As for his recommendation on replacing the rear track bar at 20k, I wonder if that’s general purpose recommendation or when using his lift? Did dodge not engineer it properly? I know when I “attempted” to consider installing the lift kit myself, I got the trac bar bolt off from where it mounts on the passenger side and when I realized I was in over my head and went to put it back I had to move the rear axle over 1/2” to the passenger side to get the track bar hole to line up. Is that rear end supposed to be under so much tension or is that why the track bar gets replaced?

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Low_sky so your saying that with the rough country front springs, and 2” coil spacers in back, I’ll essentially have a 6” lift? That was my actual desire was a 6” lift. As for thuren products, the xhd sway bar end links are all that I can use.

As for his recommendation on replacing the rear track bar at 20k, I wonder if that’s general purpose recommendation or when using his lift? Did dodge not engineer it properly? I know when I “attempted” to consider installing the lift kit myself, I got the trac bar bolt off from where it mounts on the passenger side and when I realized I was in over my head and went to put it back I had to move the rear axle over 1/2” to the passenger side to get the track bar hole to line up. Is that rear end supposed to be under so much tension or is that why the track bar gets replaced?

I don’t have any advice on a Rough Country kit beyond explaining why the same box of parts is called a 6” kit for 2500 and a 4.5” kit for a Power Wagon. A PW rides 1.5” higher than a factory 2500 thanks to taller springs.

The OEM rear track bar is poorly designed. Don’s bar has a bracket that bolts to the axle and improves the geometry. I know it works on factory trucks and those using his other suspension parts. I’ll defer to your communication with Thuren as to its compatibility with somebody else’s higher lift kit.

The track bar is what locates the axle laterally under the truck. If you unbolt it, the truck will settle to where it wants to balance on the springs and bushings holding everything else together. That’s normal, and why you do track bar replacements on level ground.

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
I don’t have any advice on a Rough Country kit beyond explaining why the same box of parts is called a 6” kit for 2500 and a 4.5” kit for a Power Wagon. A PW rides 1.5” higher than a factory 2500 thanks to taller springs.

The OEM rear track bar is poorly designed. Don’s bar has a bracket that bolts to the axle and improves the geometry. I know it works on factory trucks and those using his other suspension parts. I’ll defer to your communication with Thuren as to its compatibility with somebody else’s higher lift kit.

The track bar is what locates the axle laterally under the truck. If you unbolt it, the truck will settle to where it wants to balance on the springs and bushings holding everything else together. That’s normal, and why you do track bar replacements on level ground.

If unbolting the track bar allows the rear end to settle to where it wants, wouldn’t that be the desired outcome vs forcing the rear end to where you want it? I’ve never dealt with suspension geometry before and personally got a D in geometry in high school which was back in 1997. Haha! :)

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If unbolting the track bar allows the rear end to settle to where it wants, wouldn’t that be the desired outcome vs forcing the rear end to where you want it? I’ve never dealt with suspension geometry before and personally got a D in geometry in high school which was back in 1997. Haha! :)

Nope.

Time to start studying.

Fitzreefer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L

Pretty much everything you take apart on the suspension front or rear will often result in a shift in the vehicle. Usually, effective use of a prybar, elbo grease or a rachet strap will get it lined up to replace the bolt. Don't read into it too much. Also, don't get scared off by it to do the work on your own. Take a beer [emoji481] break and come back at it with a fresh look and you will figure out a way. Make sure you have a torque wrench that goes over 220 lbs for some of this stuff, a good long breaker bar and the tallest jack stands you can find (when/if you install a lift). Plenty of YouTube vids out there to review before you do the work.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Pretty much everything you take apart on the suspension front or rear will often result in a shift in the vehicle. Usually, effective use of a prybar, elbo grease or a rachet strap will get it lined up to replace the bolt. Don't read into it too much. Also, don't get scared off by it to do the work on your own. Take a beer [emoji481] break and come back at it with a fresh look and you will figure out a way. Make sure you have a torque wrench that goes over 220 lbs for some of this stuff, a good long breaker bar and the tallest jack stands you can find (when/if you install a lift). Plenty of YouTube vids out there to review before you do the work.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Tq wrench YES!!! Don’t impact wrench it and think it’s good. Installer used impact on mine. I had to go and tq everything and it all moved.

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
I never use only an impact. Especially when dealing with suspension and steering components. (Ok when I was dicking around with Honda’s I didn’t but hey, arm torque is about right for them lol).

As for why I threw in the towel, I can’t afford to wait more than a day to get it done and I don’t have all the tools needed. Plus I couldn’t get the emergency brake cable lose at the bracket point under the driver side [emoji22] so I figured I’d quit. It’s only 750 for the shop here in town to do it. And 75 for alignment. They do them all day long anyways.