Pro's vs. Con's of DiabloSport tune & PC module vs HPTuners?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wondering if there is enough data out there to support a convo regarding the pros/cons of getting HPTuners that has transmission tuning capabilities vs a DiabloSport tune/custom tune and the Pedal Commander?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You can move the shift points up,and quicken the shifts themselves with HP.My 8 speed shifts like an old mechanical tranny used to,and will bark the tires hard on a part throttle 1-2 shift.Be advised the HP program is fairly in depth,and probably not for an inexperienced tuner though.Jay is doing remote HP tranny tunes,they aren't cheap though,i think it adds almost 300 bucks over and above his standard Diablo engine tune.You can run both a Diablo engine tune and an HP tranny tune at the same time.

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
I am going on my 6th month of working with tech support and 3rd I2 that Diablo has sent me... still cant get mine to pair with the truck successfully so I might be making the switch to HP. Curious to see what others think.

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can move the shift points up,and quicken the shifts themselves with HP.My 8 speed shifts like an old mechanical tranny used to,and will bark the tires hard on a part throttle 1-2 shift.Be advised the HP program is fairly in depth,and probably not for an inexperienced tuner though.Jay is doing remote HP tranny tunes,they aren't cheap though,i think it adds almost 300 bucks over and above his standard Diablo engine tune.You can run both a Diablo engine tune and an HP tranny tune at the same time.

I owned HPTuners for 5 years (regret selling it!) and I did some tranny tuning to my 4L80E so I "had" a fairly decent understanding of how it worked; at least in that application....but in all honesty if I went the HPTuners route it would be for the ease of uploading files to the truck from an experienced tuner and monitoring but also because I could use it to upload programs to my Chevy's as well.

I don't agree with the idea of paying separately for an engine tune and transmission tune; they are usually both included in a tune and the transmission is only excluded when not available. That's a new one to me!

Without knowing either formats as it relates to the RAM, does one have an advantage over the other in terms of modifiable tables?

DesertWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the diablo tunes from Jay and Hemifever. They are both good, but i plan on hp tuners as I recover from my bad dyno purchase.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I owned HPTuners for 5 years (regret selling it!) and I did some tranny tuning to my 4L80E so I "had" a fairly decent understanding of how it worked; at least in that application....but in all honesty if I went the HPTuners route it would be for the ease of uploading files to the truck from an experienced tuner and monitoring but also because I could use it to upload programs to my Chevy's as well.

I don't agree with the idea of paying separately for an engine tune and transmission tune; they are usually both included in a tune and the transmission is only excluded when not available. That's a new one to me!

Without knowing either formats as it relates to the RAM, does one have an advantage over the other in terms of modifiable tables?

Generally HP is considered to have access to more tuning parameters then Diablo.I bought the HP program just for the tranny tuning,plus the fact it'll work on my wifes 2016 Challenger,once my cheap ass buys the unlocked PCM for it,lol.But I let my tuner do all the tuning,as he's been an HP tuner for 15 years,and i'm scared i'd screw up his handi-work.I've been HP tuned for well over a year,and i'm very happy with the tune-up,but the majority of that is my tuner,he's got close to 30 hours into both dyno and data log tuning my truck,helps he's a very good friend,and loves my wifes baking,as it hasn't cost me all that much for all his time invested,lol

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Generally HP is considered to have access to more tuning parameters then Diablo.I bought the HP program just for the tranny tuning,plus the fact it'll work on my wifes 2016 Challenger,once my cheap ass buys the unlocked PCM for it,lol.But I let my tuner do all the tuning,as he's been an HP tuner for 15 years,and i'm scared i'd screw up his handi-work.I've been HP tuned for well over a year,and i'm very happy with the tune-up,but the majority of that is my tuner,he's got close to 30 hours into both dyno and data log tuning my truck,helps he's a very good friend,and loves my wifes baking,as it hasn't cost me all that much for all his time invested,lol

That sounds alot more realistic to me in terms of getting a tune dialed in correctly. I had a similar story when I owned HPTuners with a buddy of mine....it was more of an evolution than a one and done scenario! But that was also dealing with supercharger and healthy cam, not to mention supporting mods.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That sounds alot more realistic to me in terms of getting a tune dialed in correctly. I had a similar story when I owned HPTuners with a buddy of mine....it was more of an evolution than a one and done scenario! But that was also dealing with supercharger and healthy cam, not to mention supporting mods.

That i'll agree with,it's been an evolution tuning my nitrous fed truck.There's about a 1/2 dozen hours just into the tranny tune alone,and we're still playing with it yet,damn beta mode tuning,lol.