Random Power Loss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brad Wissinger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0l EcoDiesel
Hey everyone. Got a 2014 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn 4x4 that is stock. I'm a diesel mechanic for the Navy (on submarines) and this is the 3rd diesel pickup I've owned, but my first Ram.

Anyways, I was driving from Virginia Beach up to Connecticut about 2 weeks ago and the truck was doing fine (cruising along at around 70-ish) until I got on the New Jersey Turnpike when I set cruise control up to 80. It was about 90 outside by this point and out of no where the truck just started to slow down and a couple lights flashed on my cluster (they were so quick that I couldn't see what they were.) So I pulled off on the shoulder and it shut off. I popped the hood, checked the oil level (normal smell and level.) Truck sat for about 5 minutes, nothing dripping, coolant level looked good. Started it up, and drove to the next rest stop where the truck sat for about 10 minutes. Got back in and drove the last couple hundred miles just takin it easy (max around 70.)

Got here to Connecticut, checked for codes (none present.)

I wasn't pulling anything when all of this happened, and had already driven about 200 per so miles over about 5 hours.

Any ideas from the group on what this could've been so I can start going down that rabbit hole would be appreciated.

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Hey everyone. Got a 2014 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn 4x4 that is stock. I'm a diesel mechanic for the Navy (on submarines) and this is the 3rd diesel pickup I've owned, but my first Ram.

Anyways, I was driving from Virginia Beach up to Connecticut about 2 weeks ago and the truck was doing fine (cruising along at around 70-ish) until I got on the New Jersey Turnpike when I set cruise control up to 80. It was about 90 outside by this point and out of no where the truck just started to slow down and a couple lights flashed on my cluster (they were so quick that I couldn't see what they were.) So I pulled off on the shoulder and it shut off. I popped the hood, checked the oil level (normal smell and level.) Truck sat for about 5 minutes, nothing dripping, coolant level looked good. Started it up, and drove to the next rest stop where the truck sat for about 10 minutes. Got back in and drove the last couple hundred miles just takin it easy (max around 70.)

Got here to Connecticut, checked for codes (none present.)

I wasn't pulling anything when all of this happened, and had already driven about 200 per so miles over about 5 hours.

Any ideas from the group on what this could've been so I can start going down that rabbit hole would be appreciated.

Is the truck stock or does it have any tune on it that you know of?