Rattle front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello I have a 2017 Ram 1500 with a 4” superlift along with bilstein 6112. I am getting a rattle from what sounds like the front end and it only happens when I hit bumps on the passenger side. Going down the road hitting multiple potholes it clunks followed by a rattle. Almost sounds like a running board was loose or something. Now when hopping a curve only on the passenger side when it drops there is a single clunk. It sounds like it’s coming from the passenger front side. I am thinking it is the strut mount possibly? I’m not sure but here is what I checked...

-sway bar with endlinks
-lower and upper ball joints
-tie rods
-body mounts
-running board bolts
-vibration dampers (heard they have clunked for people)
-things rattling in the engine bay
-wheel bearings
-brakes

I have even had my buddy shake my truck when I was under it and cannot hear anything it’s quiet as can be. Seems like it only does it when it really hits a big bump. Has anyone had this issue? It’s hard to see the top of the strut mount but it’s center as can be not sure what could be clunking and ratting like that.... I attached a picture of the strut mount on the passenger side. It looks normal to me but the truck has 55k miles on it.

30F878F3-FCF0-4EFB-90E0-94A329E77C4B.png

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Hello I have a 2017 Ram 1500 with a 4” superlift along with bilstein 6112. I am getting a rattle from what sounds like the front end and it only happens when I hit bumps on the passenger side. Going down the road hitting multiple potholes it clunks followed by a rattle. Almost sounds like a running board was loose or something. Now when hopping a curve only on the passenger side when it drops there is a single clunk. It sounds like it’s coming from the passenger front side. I am thinking it is the strut mount possibly? I’m not sure but here is what I checked...

-sway bar with endlinks
-lower and upper ball joints
-tie rods
-body mounts
-running board bolts
-vibration dampers (heard they have clunked for people)
-things rattling in the engine bay
-wheel bearings
-brakes

I have even had my buddy shake my truck when I was under it and cannot hear anything it’s quiet as can be. Seems like it only does it when it really hits a big bump. Has anyone had this issue? It’s hard to see the top of the strut mount but it’s center as can be not sure what could be clunking and ratting like that.... I attached a picture of the strut mount on the passenger side. It looks normal to me but the truck has 55k miles on it.

View attachment 235253

Check your axle. From what you describe look for grease flung around the passenger side area.

Put it in 4hi and see if you get a more consistent noise.

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check your axle. From what you describe look for grease flung around the passenger side area.

Put it in 4hi and see if you get a more consistent noise.

Just checked both axles and it looks to be in great shape. No issues or changes in noise in 4wd as well.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Something is loose or worn, just need to find it. You said you checked everything but you may need to get under there with a crow bar or something to put some leverage on joints etc.. Just grabbing by hand and shaking may not be enough.

Did you jack the truck up and get the front end off the ground and check as well? Get the load off everything

One thing I did not see listed was exhaust, did you check that? Could be something lose and banging around.

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Something is loose or worn, just need to find it. You said you checked everything but you may need to get under there with a crow bar or something to put some leverage on joints etc.. Just grabbing by hand and shaking may not be enough.

Did you jack the truck up and get the front end off the ground and check as well? Get the load off everything

One thing I did not see listed was exhaust, did you check that? Could be something lose and banging around.

I did shake exhaust I forgot to mention it but I do have a broken manifold bolt...only one that I can see I have to make an appointment with the dealer for that. I did take a praybar and start praying on all the bushings and found no movement on anything that was abnormal. I jacked the front end by the axle sides to keep the load off of everything I got no movement from the ball joints or anything. I did get some movement left and right on the driver side but I’ve posted about it In the past I didn’t know if it was normal but that movement is something in the rack. If I take my hand when it’s parked and shake that inner tie rod next to the rack it moves a little bit but I tried that same thing on my friends 2019 classic ram at the time and it did the same exact thing so I’m assuming it’s normal. I did have a clunk that was felt in my brake pedal for months I couldn’t figure it out eventually it went away not sure if the two are related though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank