REAR WINDOW FRAME CRACKED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eforce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone! Our team would like to inform you that as of November dealer part inventory has been changed. STAR S2023000005 online has been updated and our dealer stock has been purged of all outdated parts. Should future incidents arise or if current service is required, we would be happy to assist in getting this updated repair completed alongside your dealer. Feel free to follow up with us in a private message if you have any additional questions!

Kathryn
Ram Cares
What is the Newest Part Number for the window???
I think Mine may be Cracked again, after being replaced in January of 2020.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
What is the Newest Part Number for the window???
I think Mine may be Cracked again, after being replaced in January of 2020.
Hi there, we are sorry to hear this! Please send over a private message with your VIN once a dealer appointment is in the books. We would be more than willing to get a case escalated on your behalf for support!

Kathryn
Ram Cares

Pocketfisherman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l eTorque
Add me to the club. 2020 June build quad cab 2WD. Mine cracked sometime during the last 3 days of abnormally cold Texas weather. Got down to 7 degrees 2 days in a row. Truck was not used during that time so it looks like the temperature changes caused the crack.

BTRKY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
5.7L HEMI V8
Mine is going in for back glass #3. Why has this not been a recall? Both my 2019 Laramie and 2020 Limited have cracked and been replaced.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It wil
Mine is going in for back glass #3. Why has this not been a recall? Both my 2019 Laramie and 2020 Limited have cracked and been replaced.
lt will never be a recall, recalls are mostly for safety. They will continue to replace until out of warranty, then it's on your dime. Hopefully there are enough failures to generate a redesign, which in this case it looks like it has. That's how the auto industry works. If enough people get ticked off and file complaints, maybe a class-action, but that takes years and really the only one who wins on that is the lawyers.

Last edited:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Depending on your states lemon law, you may have basis for a claim. You apparently reported the issue while it was under warranty and the repairs have failed to remedy the issue.

Most states that have a strong lemon law do not allow the manufacturer to simply make multiple repairs pushing the issue past the warranty period. GM tried that with me and the arbitrator disabused them of that idea by reading them the text of the law. The arbitrator I had was great. In MD at the time the arbitrators were ordinary citizens who volunteered to work in the program.

Last edited:

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Depending on your states lemon law, you may have basis for a claim. You apparently reported the issue while it was under warranty and the repairs have failed to remedy the issue.

Most states that have a strong lemon law do not allow the manufacturer to simply make multiple repairs pushing the issue past the warranty period. GM tried that with me and the arbitrator disabused them of that idea by reading them the text of the law. The arbitrator I had was great. In MD at the time the arbitrators were ordinary citizens who volunteered to work in the program.
If you go that route, make sure they are closing the warranty claim after each repair. Some dealer will leave it open, that way when you bring it back if it's not fixed, it continuing the same repair and not a new repair. They are getting crafty to get around the lemon laws.

Spiritual boulder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone have a copy of the service bulletin for this issue? I am bringing mine in tomorrow and the service dealer said he has never heard of it

Mfjhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Took mine to the dealer today. A couple of miles outside the 36k warranty. Just noticed the cracks today. I sure hope they take care of the problem since it’s a known issue.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Hello everyone! Our team would like to inform you that as of November dealer part inventory has been changed. STAR S2023000005 online has been updated and our dealer stock has been purged of all outdated parts. Should future incidents arise or if current service is required, we would be happy to assist in getting this updated repair completed alongside your dealer. Feel free to follow up with us in a private message if you have any additional questions!

Kathryn
Ram Cares

Does anyone have a copy of the service bulletin for this issue? I am bringing mine in tomorrow and the service dealer said he has never heard of it

Here's a link to the Star Case describing the issue...
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10187092-9999.pdf

** Noticed my 19 Laramie 1500 DT doing this during a heavy rain today (both sides). Glad I stumbled on this thread and took a closer look...

I'll be stopping by the dealer Tuesday I guess4156819048cfd34ebc24188956fcef8f.jpg

M² Mods.
(via Tapatalk App)

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Here's a link to the Star Case describing the issue...
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10187092-9999.pdf

** Noticed my 19 Laramie 1500 DT doing this during a heavy rain today (both sides). Glad I stumbled on this thread and took a closer look...

I'll be stopping by the dealer Tuesday I guess4156819048cfd34ebc24188956fcef8f.jpg

M² Mods.
(via Tapatalk App)
I keep my 2019 parked in the garage, but I parked outside so my son could work on his car. It rained that day and when looked after the rain had stopped, I had a bead of water in the same place as yours. Called the dealer today and have an appointment next week. They said they are going to do a water intrusion check as they have seen it come from the third brake light and the rear window. Of note, my frame is not cracked. The bead of water look exactly like your picture.

Saz01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Add me to the list. Found that I have this dreaded cracked rear window frame leak issue as well in my 2019 Laramie. I only found it because my kids were riding in the back and they noticed the water leaking in while driving in the rain. I have no idea how long it has actually been leaking. Called my dealer today, my truck is out of warranty and the only estimate they could give me is $1,005.00 parts cost for the new power sliding rear window plus labor. Going to look into what I can do with black silicone so seal it up myself. Good luck to us all who are out of warranty!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Add me to the list. Found that I have this dreaded cracked rear window frame leak issue as well in my 2019 Laramie. I only found it because my kids were riding in the back and they noticed the water leaking in while driving in the rain. I have no idea how long it has actually been leaking. Called my dealer today, my truck is out of warranty and the only estimate they could give me is $1,005.00 parts cost for the new power sliding rear window plus labor. Going to look into what I can do with black silicone so seal it up myself. Good luck to us all who are out of warranty!

Contact @RamCares via message along with the Star Case document linked above and see if they can get to some traction on getting it covered... Especially since it's mentioned on the NHTSA site.

M² Mods.
(via Tapatalk App)

Saz01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Contact @RamCares via message along with the Star Case document linked above and see if they can get to some traction on getting it covered... Especially since it's mentioned on the NHTSA site.

M² Mods.
(via Tapatalk App)
OK thank you for the advice, I'll give it a try!

TheBigGuy2021

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2019 Ram 1500 with 47k miles, leaking just started. Dealer states its from the cracked frame that appears extremely common based on this thread but MaxCare won't cover it, $1800 is what the Dealer wants. Moral to the story, check out those frames cause if you are out of warranty it's gonna cost you big and don't expect MaxCare to cover it.

JF19Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque
..makes me not want to keep it past the 3yr / 36k.

If you are capable of removing the backseat yourself, just call safelight directly, might save you some $$$.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
2019 Ram 1500 with 47k miles, leaking just started. Dealer states its from the cracked frame that appears extremely common based on this thread but MaxCare won't cover it, $1800 is what the Dealer wants. Moral to the story, check out those frames cause if you are out of warranty it's gonna cost you big and don't expect MaxCare to cover it.
Why won't Maxcare cover it?

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
..makes me not want to keep it past the 3yr / 36k.

If you are capable of removing the backseat yourself, just call safelight directly, might save you some $$$.
Put some good glass coverage on your insurance and break the window