Relay and Fuel pump bad at the same time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShldveKeptTheFord

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well this is a fun first post here. My truck is a 2014 2500 Tradesman with the 6.4l Hemi. A few weeks ago I was having trouble starting it, it had the crank no start issue going on. I read up on forums and watched on Youtube about the fuel pump relay going bad, So the next morning it wouldn't start I tried heating up the fuse box a bit with a heat gun and it started right up and I drove it all day. That day I went to autozone and got the wires and fuses to make a bypass wire for the fuel pump relay and installed it and everything was good, I made sure I used the jumper wire to test and see if I could hear the fuel pump turn on and I could. This last week I again had the crank no start issue but I opened the hood and just wiggled the jumper wire and then the truck would start right up. Yesterday and today I can not get the truck to start. I tried wiggling the wire, making a new jumper wire, testing the fuses on the jumper wire, smacking the fuel tank with a mallet, and I cannot get the fuel pump to turn on. Ive tried searching forums and I haven't read anything about the relay and the fuel pump going bad at the same time, So is there anything else I'm missing or that I can check before I order a new fuel pump? I already ordered a new TIPM from TIPMrebuilders before this issue started this weekend. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
For sure a short in anything can foul a part like a fuel pump, in fact it is likely. So yes if the short is in TIPM it is very possible that a fuel pump will burn out and keep burning out until you fix the short. I had this happen once with a transfer case, had to replace it three times before we found out the short was killing the part.

So question, did you use a cig lighter relay to bypass the fuel pump? Because that replay only gets hot with the key, exactly what you need.

Have to ran codes?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So you cannot get fuel pump to turn on? Did you bypass it to a relay that allows to much amperage through?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The pump probably gave up the ghost, I would inspect the plug at the fuel pump also as those can go bad causing the pump failure.

OP
OP
ShldveKeptTheFord

ShldveKeptTheFord

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
For sure a short in anything can foul a part like a fuel pump, in fact it is likely. So yes if the short is in TIPM it is very possible that a fuel pump will burn out and keep burning out until you fix the short. I had this happen once with a transfer case, had to replace it three times before we found out the short was killing the part.

So question, did you use a cig lighter relay to bypass the fuel pump? Because that replay only gets hot with the key, exactly what you need.

Have to ran codes?

yes I used the cig lighter with the position thats on with the key, and I tested it with the position thats always on. The only code I had was for an O2 sensor that I think is from an exhaust leak.

OP
OP
ShldveKeptTheFord

ShldveKeptTheFord

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The pump probably gave up the ghost, I would inspect the plug at the fuel pump also as those can go bad causing the pump failure.
I used my test light on it once I got it disconnected and it had power to it, so fuel pump it is I guess. It just seemed odd to me for the relay and the pump to both go bad within less than two weeks.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You said Tradesman ....does your tk have a key? (switch). Those switches could be a common source of issues.

Have you wiggled the column shifter or put in N (in case it thinks it's in gear)?

Elvira

Reaction score
Yes, not an uncommon occurance to have them both fail. Usually one will cause the other to fault.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The engine cranks just doesnt run?

OP
OP
ShldveKeptTheFord

ShldveKeptTheFord

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You said Tradesman ....does your tk have a key? (switch). Those switches could be a common source of issues.

Have you wiggled the column shifter or put in N (in case it thinks it's in gear)?
yes its a tradesman and yes it does have a key. I haven't tried either of those but I'll try it tomorrow.
The engine cranks just doesnt run?
Right. I'll install that new TIPM whenever it gets here and the only other thing I've read being an issue like this is the pcm going bad and not sending the signal for anything else to turn on for the truck to run.

RangerWeaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L
Try contacting these guys, you can tell them what you've done and what the symptoms are, there customer service is great, and they sell reconditioned TIPMs

I recommend them as well. My relay failed and I purchased their

TIPM Plug-In Fuel Pump Power Bypass/Test System (Lite)

, I have not had any issues since I installed them.

JarrodN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Check your fuel pump reset switch. Most are on the passenger side inside the vekicle just below the dash

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm never a fan of just randomly throwing parts at something and hope you get lucky. Get a multimeter or even a test light and check for power going to the fuel pump. Check for power coming out of the TIPM and also at the fuel pump. Do a good visual inspection of the wires and connectors while you are there as there is always a good chance you will find a rubbed through wire or loose connector.

A couple good YouTube channels that cover trouble-shooting are Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics or South Main Auto. Both have tons of videos and should have several specifically showing how they trouble-shoot basic eletrical problems. I don't expect anybody to be as in-depth and detailed as these guys, and have access to all of the equipment and scopes, but they at least give you an ideal of what to look for. I've been working on cars for a long time and get nowhere close to this level, but at least a couple quick and easy tests can greatly narrow down what to look for. For example, if you don't have power going to the fuel pump then the pump is obviously not the issue. Visual inspection can also go a long way.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I remember a long time ago reading on this forum ...reports of key switches going bad ...back when the trucks that HAD keys were more discussed more commonly on this forum. Basically an intermittent no-start situation. You might do some searching of old threads. It's basically a switch anymore that tells the TIPMS to go into 'start mode' when ya turn it. Some GMs do the same thing when the key switch starts wearing out. It makes a lot of guys search off in many directions for the fault but often turns out to be the key switch, esp in Colorado/Hummer trucks. There's a few companies who sell a 'kit' (for the GM's) that include new key switch, keys and matching door lock cylinders. Shows how prevalent it is.

Ive noticed my Tradesman truck's key is starting to get sloppy in the switch. Been thinking about replacing it one of these days too.

OP
OP
ShldveKeptTheFord

ShldveKeptTheFord

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sorry guys, I was a bit busy yesterday and didn't get to try anything. I tried messing around with the ignition and also tried starting it in neutral, and I had no luck.

Check your fuel pump reset switch. Most are on the passenger side inside the vekicle just below the dash
I can not find an inertia switch if there is one
I'm never a fan of just randomly throwing parts at something and hope you get lucky. Get a multimeter or even a test light and check for power going to the fuel pump. Check for power coming out of the TIPM and also at the fuel pump. Do a good visual inspection of the wires and connectors while you are there as there is always a good chance you will find a rubbed through wire or loose connector.

A couple good YouTube channels that cover trouble-shooting are Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics or South Main Auto. Both have tons of videos and should have several specifically showing how they trouble-shoot basic eletrical problems. I don't expect anybody to be as in-depth and detailed as these guys, and have access to all of the equipment and scopes, but they at least give you an ideal of what to look for. I've been working on cars for a long time and get nowhere close to this level, but at least a couple quick and easy tests can greatly narrow down what to look for. For example, if you don't have power going to the fuel pump then the pump is obviously not the issue. Visual inspection can also go a long way.
I did use a test light and did a visual of the wires and connectors. I will try and watch their videos to see if I can find anything. The fuel gauge is reading correct on the new pump so I'm assuming it's not a bad pump also.

fulltimerart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had a customer (quite a while ago) that would drop off his truck with its key for an intermittent no start problem and never could find anything UNTIL he came in and I saw him take the key off a key ring loaded with keys and stuff---probably 2 or 3 pounds of goodies. The stuff was so heavy it wouldn't let the key press the tumblers properly for the truck to start. Unload key ring, problem solved!

Tjaytogo3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8
Well this is a fun first post here. My truck is a 2014 2500 Tradesman with the 6.4l Hemi. A few weeks ago I was having trouble starting it, it had the crank no start issue going on. I read up on forums and watched on Youtube about the fuel pump relay going bad, So the next morning it wouldn't start I tried heating up the fuse box a bit with a heat gun and it started right up and I drove it all day. That day I went to autozone and got the wires and fuses to make a bypass wire for the fuel pump relay and installed it and everything was good, I made sure I used the jumper wire to test and see if I could hear the fuel pump turn on and I could. This last week I again had the crank no start issue but I opened the hood and just wiggled the jumper wire and then the truck would start right up. Yesterday and today I can not get the truck to start. I tried wiggling the wire, making a new jumper wire, testing the fuses on the jumper wire, smacking the fuel tank with a mallet, and I cannot get the fuel pump to turn on. Ive tried searching forums and I haven't read anything about the relay and the fuel pump going bad at the same time, So is there anything else I'm missing or that I can check before I order a new fuel pump? I already ordered a new TIPM from TIPMrebuilders before this issue started this weekend. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
It took 4 months to find my problem 3 months by ram service!! Went to local guy and,,,,

Ebay sells the bypass relay kit $59. 90% sure, this is your problem. My South Jersey dealer charged my $750, $450, $900. Then they said all fuel injectors bad $2000! I towed my truck from there to a local guy. He installed the kit. No wire cutting!! These dealers know the problem (know the cheat fix) and rob us!!!! A crime!!! Get the news out $59!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452