RL 5w-30 switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
For everyone that switched to Redline 5w-30, how early did you start using it?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
10k and truck loved it.i was starting to get startup tick on dealer oil. Ran quiet afterwards

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Drove mine home from the dealer,put my drop kit on the following day,third day the truck was at the dragstrip,with less then 250 miles on it,drag raced it that night,the next day dropped the factory oil and filter and filled it up with Redline 10W-30 and RP filter,that was 41,000 miles ago,lol

Last edited:

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
I switched roughly around 36k miles. I am currently at 43k miles without issue and after this long trip I'll be do for another change.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I switched at 13,952 and am pushing 20K miles now. She's still stone deaf quiet with every start. Went with the Fram Ultra filter this first time but I've already picked up a RP filter for the next one. I'm going to go to probably 7-7500K miles and change it out so I can get that first UOA out of the way. I'm kind of anxious to get a baseline started.
Still trying to get the message out wherever I can but people are ******* hardheaded. Was talking to a guy on the Z week before last who actually started the thread off by saying how he was using 5W30 but then he preceded to bash me about how boutique oils and non OEM filters were a big part of the (cam and lifter) problem and how people who don't let their vehicle warm up and drive the hell out of them were also to blame. Personally I NEVER jump in a vehicle and go without at least 30 seconds of idle time and would never hammer the throttle on a vehicle that wasn't up to operating temperature. Hell I even baby it for the first mile or so to give the tranny a little time to warm up and start shifting normally.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This is the only place to discuss it, we tried Z, we tried Bob's, we tried hemi forums, we tried truck forums, they just don't get it. We all "thought" maybe we could spread the word and share having quiet engines, but it is worse then deaf ears over there you get bashed just for showing up. So I say forget them, it's our little secret and a benefit if you found ram forum. Glad that tick is gone. I lost count after around 20 to 30 rams quieted, yours came even after that.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I switched at 13,952 and am pushing 20K miles now. She's still stone deaf quiet with every start. Went with the Fram Ultra filter this first time but I've already picked up a RP filter for the next one. I'm going to go to probably 7-7500K miles and change it out so I can get that first UOA out of the way. I'm kind of anxious to get a baseline started.
Still trying to get the message out wherever I can but people are ******* hardheaded. Was talking to a guy on the Z week before last who actually started the thread off by saying how he was using 5W30 but then he preceded to bash me about how boutique oils and non OEM filters were a big part of the (cam and lifter) problem and how people who don't let their vehicle warm up and drive the hell out of them were also to blame. Personally I NEVER jump in a vehicle and go without at least 30 seconds of idle time and would never hammer the throttle on a vehicle that wasn't up to operating temperature. Hell I even baby it for the first mile or so to give the tranny a little time to warm up and start shifting normally.

Pretty sad we are still talking about rams 7 years older then mine and FCA has done nothing to deal with this.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
3500 miles, best I can remember anyways. Been running now since 2011 at least, maybe earlier. So running it 8 years anyway, with that RP filter too.
Burla, how many miles on the odometer now?

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Switched at 100k on my 11. Was running RP before and many others before that. Quiet as a church mouse now. About to do my 2nd change with RL 5W30.

I run the SRT fliter on my 11 and the RP filter on my 16. Both are quiet.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
Switched at 100k on my 11. Was running RP before and many others before that. Quiet as a church mouse now. About to do my 2nd change with RL 5W30.

I run the SRT fliter on my 11 and the RP filter on my 16. Both are quiet.

this makes me feel a little better. i bought my truck 2 weeks ago. she is at 68k and i want to make the switch to RL 5w30. im a little concerned this may cause issues switching.