RL 5w-30 switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I sort of wonder if the EcoD spec change wasn't so much that the difference between 5W30 to 5W40 was the solution but it clarified the correct oil for them. There were countless number of people reporting the wrong oil being used during oil changes. Several engine failures were reported within 1000 miles of an oil change and on the opposite end of the spectrum several owners went over 100K miles running 5W30 oil.
Unless someone from inside FCA decides to be a whistle blower and spill the beans, we may never know the truth about the oil with the Hemi and/or EcoD.

They also changed the TCM strategy to keep from lugging the Eco D which some suspect was causing accelerated wear on the bearings with less cushion from the lighter oil. Also from what I've seen that VM diesel was specing 5W40 in non US markets which immediately makes me think it was some CAFE BS that lead to specing the 5W30 to try and squeeze even more economy out of it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Also from what I've seen that VM diesel was specing 5W40 in non US markets which immediately makes me think it was some CAFE BS that lead to specing the 5W30 to try and squeeze even more economy out of it.
The spec change happened in 2016. If my memory serves me correctly the 5W30 oil also didn't meet the 2017 oil API/ACEA changes. Going with 5W40 across the board resolved that issue also.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I sort of wonder if the EcoD spec change wasn't so much that the difference between 5W30 to 5W40 was the solution but it clarified the correct oil for them. There were countless number of people reporting the wrong oil being used during oil changes. Several engine failures were reported within 1000 miles of an oil change and on the opposite end of the spectrum several owners went over 100K miles running 5W30 oil.
Unless someone from inside FCA decides to be a whistle blower and spill the beans, we may never know the truth about the oil with the Hemi and/or EcoD.

warranties absolve them of any responsibility, **** that happens after warranty the gov't would just say well it is an old vehicle. it must have been real bad, stuff must have been happening under warranty for them to get all drastic with it.

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you notice improvement with RL, beginning at that late mileage?

I’m only about 500mi in to this oil being in the truck. But yes, even this early into the truck is much quieter (verified by drive through test - rolling down window when close to the building) and initial start up has much less “noise”. I’ve heard to give it about 1000 miles before finalizing opinion. But I have no regrets. Truck seems to like it. I also feel the engine is smoother on normal driving habits. That may be psychological

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That may be psychological

Redlinetitenitus? Engines run smoother, it isn't in your head, even before hemi tick and even before I ever posted in this forum and long long before I ever tried redline that is what the users at bob's where saying. I used to think they were full of **** too, lol. Now I'm one of them, and now you are one of them, and now 50 or so ram forum members are one of them. We all suffer from the disease of liking a quiet smooth running engine. If you want to cure yourself, just go back and run some other oil, CURED.

Please update syn thread to your experience when you hit 1,200 miles. Let us know if quiet stayed OR NOT, and if it got better, this is how we help each other as a group. Thanks Burla

Billyo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 ram 1500
Engine
Hi guys,
picked up a 2017 1500 express 4wd QC back in May18. went to RL 5/30 at 3k. This was my 1st oil change. I don't want to give it a chance at ticking after reading so many good things about red line here. i have 7k on the clock and it's super quiet.
For comparison sake, I had a 2015 which was a lease. traded back in with 27k. I did normal oil changes 5/20 at 3k intervals. It started ticking while hot at about 6k miles. I just lived with it. At about 20k not only was i getting a tick while hot, it was also ticking randomly on cold startup. Annoying and disappointing to say the least.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hi guys,
picked up a 2017 1500 express 4wd QC back in May18. went to RL 5/30 at 3k. This was my 1st oil change. I don't want to give it a chance at ticking after reading so many good things about red line here. i have 7k on the clock and it's super quiet.
For comparison sake, I had a 2015 which was a lease. traded back in with 27k. I did normal oil changes 5/20 at 3k intervals. It started ticking while hot at about 6k miles. I just lived with it. At about 20k not only was i getting a tick while hot, it was also ticking randomly on cold startup. Annoying and disappointing to say the least.

So it's safe to say you are in favor of the disease redlinetitenitus? If there is a cure you don't want it? Thanks the testimonial. Wow, post number 1? Where you lerking here, or hear about somewhere else?

Billyo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 ram 1500
Engine
Yes. I was a lurker here for quite a while and read a lot of informative posts. thank you kindly for the great topic discussions. much appreciated.
FWIW, my 2017 is my 3rd ram. Before i leased my noisy 2015 ram, I had an 04 QC since new. sold it with 172k. it was a good old non MDS 5.7. Besides normal maintenance and upkeep, it only needed wheel bearings, a PCM and starter. ran 5/30 penzoil dino oil at 3k intervals. it still ran solid when i sold it. When my 15 started making noise, i was so aggravated that a brand new truck sounded horrible compared to my old 04.
One thing i also forgot to mention about my 2015.
at about 6k and when it got cold outside, it had crazy loud piston slap until warmed up. it would clatter only between approx 115-150 degrees in gear. sounded like a diesel. its cold in NJ now, and my 17 makes no noise. I'm sticking with the 5/30 red line.

Taylor513

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my truck with 30K on it. It had a slight hemi tick that bothered me and it had just gotten the oil changed by the dealer so I didn't want to spend the money to change the oil. After about 2 weeks I was over it and bought some RL 5w30 from Nick on here and changed it out. After about 400 ish miles the tick is gone and its quiet. Still need to change the oil filter out to a Royal Purple like everyone suggest but I'll be sticking with RL 5w30.

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Redlinetitenitus? Engines run smoother, it isn't in your head, even before hemi tick and even before I ever posted in this forum and long long before I ever tried redline that is what the users at bob's where saying. I used to think they were full of **** too, lol. Now I'm one of them, and now you are one of them, and now 50 or so ram forum members are one of them. We all suffer from the disease of liking a quiet smooth running engine. If you want to cure yourself, just go back and run some other oil, CURED.

Please update syn thread to your experience when you hit 1,200 miles. Let us know if quiet stayed OR NOT, and if it got better, this is how we help each other as a group. Thanks Burla

Absolutely. Has been my intent the whole time. How do you think I knew to go RL 30w. I will tell my story to help others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Flea

US ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, I'm new to the whole synthetic oil thing, so bear with me.

I recently purchased a used 2010 Ram with the 4.7, and 80,000 miles. Now I've had a couple trucks with the 4.7, and they all make some noise on startup until the engine gets warm, but this one is noisier than my 2003. Anyways, after reading your testimonials, I'm convinced that I need to switch from conventional oil to Redline, for better lubrication, and to possibly quiet this engine.

My question about switching is, can the conventional oil be drained and then replaced with the synthetic, or, the new synthetic is put in, run the engine til warm, drain( to get remaining conventional out), and refill with synthetic again? If that makes any sense. And does the oil filter have to be a specific filter for synthetic oil, or can any filter be used?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
They are compatible, no reason to flush or whatever. You can use any filter, but I think Amsoil now makes one for your truck, it's worth it imo.

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I like the info you provide. Question, can you run redline on extended intervals like Amsoil SS? Next question, can the 5/30 be noisy on startup until circulation vs a 5/20? Also does the 5/30 help cool the engine a little better?

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the info you provide. Question, can you run redline on extended intervals like Amsoil SS? Next question, can the 5/30 be noisy on startup until circulation vs a 5/20? Also does the 5/30 help cool the engine a little better?
Can you run it for like 25K miles like Amsoil or until the OLM says to change it? I would absolutely run it until the OLM says to change it not to exceed the 10K mile/1 yr as required if you're still in the warranty period. There are several guys on here that put a lot of miles on it and their UOA says that they could still go quite a bit longer. Me personally since I switched to it I have NOT heard any tick at all whether it be at startup or after driving it 100 miles. Its been 100% quiet every time,all the time and I'm closing in on 6K miles. Yes it does lower the oil temps esp. when towing. If you have a tick its worth a look.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Every truck is different, the only way to do an extended interval on any oil is do a uoa at 10k miles and see the TBN and TAN level. In my truck my last uoa was 2 years and 10k miles and I had 3.2 tbn left, meaning if I so choose to I could run it longer. The prior UOA I went one year 5k miles and had tbn over 6, which is like new oil.

The only difference in start up viscosity happens in the extreme cold, other then that the difference in oil pressure is nominal between the two oils. The oil pump is the equalizer. When you read an operating viscosity that doesn't tell you anything except "dumb" viscosity. As in how the oil would flow w/o an oil pump, but we have an oil pump. If you are in the extreme cold, you change the winter rating not the weight. And yes, you can even go further if you like in a -30f area and go to lower weight. But, Redline is built for dry starts, so it kills ticks that your best 20 or 30 or 40 weight can't because of the base oils and additive package.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Two issues with ram and tick and redline's formula addresses them both. Worse problem, hot idle tick and redline formula built to with stand the high heat in that and additives and base oil to keep that area better lubricated then oils that do not have those features, and cold idle tick that the industry uses moly for, and redline has some of the highest levels around plus an oil that may leave some oil behind due to polarity of molecules. The exact effect we don't have an exact scientific answer for proven beyond doubt, only that it is happening. If you need a reason, good luck with that let is know when you find it, we have theories on what is happening but that's it.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Two issues with ram and tick and redline's formula addresses them both. Worse problem, hot idle tick and redline formula built to with stand the high heat in that and additives and base oil to keep that area better lubricated then oils that do not have those features, and cold idle tick that the industry uses moly for, and redline has some of the highest levels around plus an oil that may leave some oil behind due to polarity of molecules. The exact effect we don't have an exact scientific answer for proven beyond doubt, only that it is happening. If you need a reason, good luck with that let is know when you find it, we have theories on what is happening but that's it.

Doesn't hurt that it has a high level of ZDDP which has shown to have a synergistic effect with Moly and is proven to protect cam shafts.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This resembles an oil pumps internals, viscosity flow can only be judged by the force that forces the movement. If the fluid is similar in weight, like I said the difference when the oil first hits metal is nominal. Technically, their may be a small difference, but not worth worrying about. Now, when that fluid becomes so thick it is like molasses, then you should consider it. That is what happens at very cold temps.

unmodified-water-wheel.jpg

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for answering my questions gents.

Sounds like you can run extended interval. Yeah I would definitely analyze it if I made the switch. I do not have a tick, runs real smooth/quiet. I've been running AMS 5/20 SS for 10,000 miles, TBN was 4.7. I have 31k on the Ram.

Good to know what to get if I do get a tick.