Search for a replacement camshaft and valve lifters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MK96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
What do you guys think about ENGINETECH or MELLING camshaft and lifters? Are these durable? Seems I might need a cam sooner or later and I won't go for performance cam in the $800 range. I would prefer non MDS cam and Hellcat non MDS lifters. Also, the camshaft bearings don't need to be changed? I went through the DIY thread on the cam swap, but no info there.

My car sat a long while unused. Without oil changed, it threw a P0301 code and had some ridiculous tick. After the oil change I erased the code and it didn't show up again, the tick seems almost to disappear. I'm sending the sample to the Blackstone Labs and waiting for a container for a Motul 300V to send it for VOA to B.L., also.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Bearings are cheap in relation to the cam and lifter swap.

Just do new bearing to.

JMO.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

OP
OP
MK96

MK96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Seems I'll do it. Can anyone tell what quality can I expect from MELLING and ENGINETECH cams and lifters?

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Stated on AllData:

INSPECTION

The cam bearings are not serviceable. Do not attempt to replace cam bearings for any reason. If the cam bearings are damaged, the cylinder block must be replaced.

OP
OP
MK96

MK96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
OK, that is a good reason not to do it!

OP
OP
MK96

MK96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yep looked into this one. I'm trying to source parts on rockauto. That's why I am asking for non-OEM replacements.

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
if you want a non mds cam id suggest looking through the parts on a ram 2500 5.7 as itll be a non mds cam. I did it when i bought a motor that trashed the cam and lifter locked up. As far as lifters Id pick melling over enginetech... far more failures ive seen on fb groups with those compared to melling... alot of guys go oe hellcat, johnson lifters (more expensive).
Part number for 2500 OEM cam is 53022314AD... as stated by my tuner... slight drop in HP but more TQ as its meant for the 2500 for towing.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
if you want a non mds cam id suggest looking through the parts on a ram 2500 5.7 as itll be a non mds cam. I did it when i bought a motor that trashed the cam and lifter locked up. As far as lifters Id pick melling over enginetech... far more failures ive seen on fb groups with those compared to melling... alot of guys go oe hellcat, johnson lifters (more expensive).
Part number for 2500 OEM cam is 53022314AD... as stated by my tuner... slight drop in HP but more TQ as its meant for the 2500 for towing.

The 6 speed manual 5.7's in the Challengers also use a Non-MDS cam.

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The 6 speed manual 5.7's in the Challengers also use a Non-MDS cam.
It does but I dont think you'd wanna put that in a truck. Different prt numbers ...but I could be wrong as I know guys have put hellcat cams in trucks

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MK96

MK96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
They put Hellcat cam from a 5.7 or from a 6.2? That is interesting!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
They put Hellcat cam from a 5.7 or from a 6.2? That is interesting!

There is no such thing as a 5.7 Hellcat,they're all 6.2's.If you want a little more sporty stock cam,the 5.7 cam from the manual Challengers would be the one i'd go for,it'll make enough torque to still work good in a 5.7 1500 truck.The 5.7 2500 cam is pretty wimpy as far as cams go,great for a 3/4 ton,not maybe so great in a lighter 1500.If your Sask based Chris Zelinsky of Player 3 Performance tuning in Edmonton is TSP's dealer for western Canada,and has the TSP cams on sale for his cost yet.Might be worth tracking him down on his facebook page and talking to him about one of TSP's lower line of cams.

I'll message you his phone number

You can tell him you were talking to Rick Wildman,he knows me well,lol

https://www.facebook.com/player3performance/

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There is no such thing as a 5.7 Hellcat,they're all 6.2's.If you want a little more sporty stock cam,the 5.7 cam from the manual Challengers would be the one i'd go for,it'll make enough torque to still work good in a 5.7 1500 truck.The 5.7 2500 cam is pretty wimpy as far as cams go,great for a 3/4 ton,not maybe so great in a lighter 1500.If your Sask based Chris Zelinsky of Player 3 Performance tuning in Edmonton is TSP's dealer for western Canada,and has the TSP cams on sale for his cost yet.Might be worth tracking him down on his facebook page and talking to him about one of TSP's lower line of cams.

I'll message you his phone number

You can tell him you were talking to Rick Wildman,he knows me well,lol

https://www.facebook.com/player3performance/

I 2nd that. The 2500 cam would only be useful if you're pulling heavy day in and day out otherwise you're downgrading on power. The Challenger non MDS cam would be a better fit and those aren't light cars so it will still have plenty of grunt to get the Ram moving around. Since you'll need a tune either way a custom grind mind be the way to go depending on pricing. Typically the all inclusive package deals are the best bang for your buck since they'll come with new lifters, springs, pushrods, and the cam if you want to upgrade over the OE stuff.

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I 2nd that. The 2500 cam would only be useful if you're pulling heavy day in and day out otherwise you're downgrading on power. The Challenger non MDS cam would be a better fit and those aren't light cars so it will still have plenty of grunt to get the Ram moving around. Since you'll need a tune either way a custom grind mind be the way to go depending on pricing. Typically the all inclusive package deals are the best bang for your buck since they'll come with new lifters, springs, pushrods, and the cam if you want to upgrade over the OE stuff.
Interesting but good to know as far as the challenger cam being a better upgrade. Thanks for the info! And the tsp cam deals are a great price point compared to some

OP
OP
MK96

MK96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've decided to stay with stock non MDS. I like the truck as it is and don't need performance upgrades. Wow the stock Mopar non MDS cam from a 5.7 Challenger is at summit racing for something like $88 :-O ??? The Mopar truck cam is like $200-300 range. What a difference LOL

OP
OP
MK96

MK96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
At the end of the day, if the HD truck cam is aimed for the torque, it might be a better upgrade if you plan to lift the thing up and throw some larger tires. And it still might be a better upgrade for those who spend more time in the low rpm range. You get driveability due to increased torque but sacrificing top end power. I noticed hemi specs in HD truck: lower compression ratio and therefore lower power and torque. Driveability gives you better fuel economy. My personal logical assumptions ...

Interesting but good to know as far as the challenger cam being a better upgrade. Thanks for the info! And the tsp cam deals are a great price point compared to some