Squeaky front breaks? 24k mi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone else run into this problem .... my truck has 24k on it , 2015 cc1500 , front breaks are squeaking at low pressure slow speeds.... annoying as all hell.... plenty of pad left .... as I drive pretty easy and break easy as well.... I’m sure dealer will say it’s “normal” or tell me I need new pads and try to **** me for the labor. ... any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaftingDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Me too - exactly the same symptoms.

2017 1500qc, started at < 10K miles. Way worse when the brakes are warm, but even just short drives around town.

No advice from me - I had a local shop turn and de-glaze, didn't help. Pads all good. I'm at 14K miles now, maintenance schedule says brake inspection at 20K, I may take it sooner. I'd do it now, but my wife's 2012 Grand Cherokee just dropped its transfer case ($3500 balloons for that one), and that takes precedence. New year off to a bad start $$$-wise.

Will let you know what I find out.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Happened to my 2017 when I had like 12-15K miles on it. I pulled the pads all the way around, cleaned and re-lubed all contact points. I found very little lube on the caliper pins, etc. Anyway.. noise mostly went away.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
My 2015 didn't have an issue, but if these do, I will swap the PowerStop pads...worked perfectly on my 392 Charger.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try a different brand of pads. My passenger front brake squeaks like that from time to time. It hasn't yet annoyed me enough to change the pads.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Better pads with more sound deadening materials on the pad backings should help. To me the bigger issue is the lack of lubrication from the factory. You'll likely double the life of your pads and rotors if you pull pads, clean and re-lube just one time. I was alarmed at how rusted on the rotors were at only 12K miles on my 2017. I was able to knock them off and never seize between the rotors and hubs, but it was an additional pain in the A.

14Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Put this on the back of the pads. I use it all the time during brake changes and no problems. Havnt had this problem on my 2014 though. ae40fb715cad6f8c8cee24ab2ad00929.jpg

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
^ Yep. I use the same stuff.

The wording on the jar is very vague. It's really only for the backings on the pads.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Put this on the back of the pads. I use it all the time during brake changes and no problems. Havnt had this problem on my 2014 though. ae40fb715cad6f8c8cee24ab2ad00929.jpg

^^^ This ^^^

Or find some copper grease and apply it to the pad backing plates.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Anyone else run into this problem .... my truck has 24k on it , 2015 cc1500 , front breaks are squeaking at low pressure slow speeds.... annoying as all hell.... plenty of pad left .... as I drive pretty easy and break easy as well.... I’m sure dealer will say it’s “normal” or tell me I need new pads and try to **** me for the labor. ... any advice?

Im gonna post something up later, just finished a brake job. Wagner OEX they should change them to FMS instead of oex because they will Fix My Squeak. But you will want to be aware of something. Later, I'll post in exterior I guess.

14Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im gonna post something up later, just finished a brake job. Wagner OEX they should change them to FMS instead of oex because they will Fix My Squeak. But you will want to be aware of something. Later, I'll post in exterior I guess.

Why not go ahead and post here?

OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Why can’t u post here ? It pertains to this forum

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Why can’t u post here ? It pertains to this forum

It was just a time thing sorry Beast. I just took a second off on working on the vehicle today. Here is the issue, you either need to use the factory clips or use tin snips to make the clip even. If you don't, at about 15k miles early I imagine that clip with grind into your rotor. Look at the factory clip and then the clip that came with wagner, that will dig into rotor way early.

46106745274_0b33b79979_c.jpg

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
Mine have these exact symptoms. Im at 25k miles and it only happens under light pressure and slower speeds...

I think its really strange how quickly the rotors rust. I can wash my truck on a Saturday morning and by noon my rotors are changing colors. This is the first vehicle ive ever owned that the rotors begin to rust so quick.

14Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It was just a time thing sorry Beast. I just took a second off on working on the vehicle today. Here is the issue, you either need to use the factory clips or use tin snips to make the clip even. If you don't, at about 15k miles early I imagine that clip with grind into your rotor. Look at the factory clip and then the clip that came with wagner, that will dig into rotor way early.

OP is only at 24k miles. I couldnt imagine brake pads being worn that low that quickly. I am at 43k, tow frequently, and still have a good amount of pad life left. But it still could be the issue. Only way to know if for OP to disassemble and see.

Id still use some kind of “brake grease” on the back of the pad if I was disassembling it anyway to check. The permatex ceramic purple stuff that napa carries has always done good for me.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
OP is only at 24k miles. I couldnt imagine brake pads being worn that low that quickly. I am at 43k, tow frequently, and still have a good amount of pad life left. But it still could be the issue. Only way to know if for OP to disassemble and see.

Id still use some kind of “brake grease” on the back of the pad if I was disassembling it anyway to check. The permatex ceramic purple stuff that napa carries has always done good for me.

I can say changing pads is the easy way out then chasing the squeak, assuming the rotor is smooth. But I agree 100% with what you are saying. But if I'm gonna spend the day taking off tires and calipers, I'm gonna toss 80 dollars worth of pads on all 4 corners. So my wife's car all 4 corners with of course is 8 pads, every single shim and dust plate was loose. So I guess that would require some high temp glue or maybe anti seize in between all of those. But I found that kind of funny every single brake pad was falling apart.

I'm gonna do my Ram early just because of the dust I'm getting, I'm tired of dealing with it. H395 says he gets minimal dusting off these. I haven't looked but he also says the front and back brakes are nearly the same size, which is good because then you can split the job, Fronts should go first and many miles later worry about back. With these SUV's the backs are much smaller, so they sometimes even have the backs wear first. The middle one was my wife's car back at around 35k miles, mind you she has a light SUV and no towing etc. It is possible if OP tows at all those brakes could be worn.

Left new, middle back brake pad, right front brake pad at 35k rav4. It was time for fronts for sure, backs could have went longer if not for squeaking, but they would have been do soon as well.

39866754013_575f626949_c.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I verified as well with h395, these pads grab better. I was mistaking when I thought you couldn't get gain from anti lock system, you sure can. Some pads are better then others. Now, will these fade over time like when the factory pads are xx amount of miles, maybe. But the design is better with channels, and the pads are a different material, so maybe not as well.

14Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great point on if your taking it apart anyway, why not just go ahead and replace with something better. Thats what I would probably end up doing.

My reply about the grease was more concerned with those on a budget or those who are trying to get the most life out of the pads they already have.

OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Thanks brotha! That’s some good insight . Once the weather clears I’ll have to get it up and take a look.m at what’s causing this.