Votes: 401 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 161 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 997 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 664 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So you are one for one? It is indeed mind blowing? A simple oil change stops so many knocks. Nobody else tried redline and it didn't work? Main thing, I'd say for about 1/2 people using it to kill tick give or take, it takes many miles for the EP additives to plate. That was the case with my truck for sure, I thought I wasted all this money on expensive oil and then 500 miles later it was quiet. Make sure you tell folks that upfront, it can be from 1 to 1,000 miles to go silant, and somewhere around 20% the ticks canot be quieted with lubrication. I have seen some threads at bob's when someone asks about an oil for a ticking hemi, and it seams like nobody suggests redline even though the regular "oil guys" at BITOG are well aware of many guys on this board and that board's success with this oil. These "true oil guys" (LMAO?) would rather hold-on to hangups on a brand then to actually help someone. They never embraced unbiased and random testing proving the stuff works. Many of us where kicked of boards or chased away, so in my opinion best policy is use a PM if you can. Point them to the threads here that are random guys in large numbers reporting when it worked and didn't.
Thats true i should be mentioning the time it could take. I tell people try redline what do you really got to lose? 100 bucks maybe? So what it dont work now you still gotta spent how much for cam and lifters??? Or maybe it does work now you just get more expensive oil changes but your tick free.
Ive tried asking a few questions on redline and hemi tick a few years ago on bitog and got chased away saying "super tech will serve your hemi well" "just change your oil at the manu recomended intervals with the correct viscosity and you will be fine" "oil wont cure a broken part" "your engine doesnt know the difference oil is oil" i gave up on that site i just go there to see if theres any interesting uoas or new voas once in a while

Rod Knock

Reaction score
I think those htfs numbers are correct. I just went threw gokhans list on bitog yesterday actually for htfs

Can you please post the link, I didn't have it handy last night. I was just typing from memory. Not only did I get the numbers from Gokhan's table on BITOG, but I used it to figure out HTFS for oils not in that table, like Valvoline Extended Protection.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I'll chime in on my former hard working 2500 6.4. What's hard working? How about going across the scales at 23,160 combined?

Always ran SRT filter. Ticked on PUP 0W40, sounded like a worn out thrashing machine on Amsoil SS 0W40(AZF), was quiet for a while(4-5K)on RL 0W40, and was quiet for 7K plus OCI's on RL 5W40. I did not try RL5W30, but that may also be a cure. My buddy has a 2019 6.4 and has been sticking to the RL5W40 with SRT filter for a bit over 40K miles now, his Hemi is happy on it.
im not far behind. full loaded im 18,255

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The lawsuit is an Internet myth, and like many others, it's amplified with every post. Add to that the fact that in the end, things worked out well for everyone, as not they can sell us any soup made of various base oil, hydrocracked or otherwise somehow synthesized, and they can call it synthetic. Short of selling us refined crude as synthetic oil, they can use that label on pretty much anything. And guess what: no one cares anymore. If it performs, then all is well, and if it doesn't, then don't buy it.

I'm curious to know what makes PUP better than Mobil 1, other than anecdotal evidence.

The lawsuit isn't a myth. It's readily google-able.

Rod Knock

Reaction score
The lawsuit isn't a myth. It's readily google-able.

I meant that it wasn't something of epic proportions, as the internet makes it out to be. And something like this was bound to happen, because so many petroleum products have to be sold somehow. And I have yet to see the perfect motor oil that's 100% synthetic as in made of only group IV and V base oils. So there is that...

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The small filter is only used on the trucks, not the SRT vehicles. Their excuse is that the big filter won't fit on the trucks due to the electronic power steering, which is BS. The small filter can starve the top portion of the engine of oil, which has poor lubrication to begin with.

Can you please elaborate on why a small filter would starve the top portion of your engine?

There are 2 royal purple oil filters recommended in this thread and other spots:
rp 10-48
rp 20-820

As far as I know, the only difference is size (and therefore how long you can run before needing to replace the filter).

Genuinely wondering, I use the smaller one as I understood us 5th gens can't fit the larger one recommended for 4th gens.

Rod Knock

Reaction score
Genuinely wondering, I use the smaller one as I understood us 5th gens can't fit the larger one recommended for 4th gens.

A smaller oil filter is more restrictive. The oil pump is powerful and was designed for the bigger filter, to begin with. The top of the motor was designed to be lubricated with a certain amount of oil, and when a smaller filter is that amount is severely limited. Anyway, you don't have to believe me.

I just met a guy today with a 2017 RAM 1500. He used M1 5W-20 and the small filter religiously. He works at the local RAM dealership. He said that using Mobil 1 will not void the warranty. Anyway, at 68K miles, a couple of lifters and his cam went bye-bye. He said it's a pretty common issue at the dealership. He also said that if he leaves the truck off for a week, it makes a lot of noise at startup. I told him to try the bigger filter, 0W-40, and Lubegard, or Red Line 5W-30. He actually thanked me. Then he proceeded to help me file a warranty claim for some clear coat damage on my truck. I found out that I have 3 days of warranty left on my truck, including today. I'm waiting now on Chrysler to approve it. I told the gentleman who filed the claim for me to tell Chrysler that they should be happy that I never bothered them for the past 5 years and that at least it's not a lifter/cam issue. He laughed.

Powered by a 6.4 gasser??

I used to own one of these a lifetime ago. It had a Cummins N14 that was tuned to 550HP from the standard 500HP and also had an Eaton-Fuller 18 speed. I loved that truck. I used to drive it from coast to coast. Without a trailer, it weighed around 18K lbs.

silver-bullet.jpeg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
A smaller oil filter is more restrictive. The oil pump is powerful and was designed for the bigger filter, to begin with. The top of the motor was designed to be lubricated with a certain amount of oil, and when a smaller filter is that amount is severely limited. Anyway, you don't have to believe me.

I just met a guy today with a 2017 RAM 1500. He used M1 5W-20 and the small filter religiously. He works at the local RAM dealership. He said that using Mobil 1 will not void the warranty. Anyway, at 68K miles, a couple of lifters and his cam went bye-bye. He said it's a pretty common issue at the dealership. He also said that if he leaves the truck off for a week, it makes a lot of noise at startup. I told him to try the bigger filter, 0W-40, and Lubegard, or Red Line 5W-30. He actually thanked me. Then he proceeded to help me file a warranty claim for some clear coat damage on my truck. I found out that I have 3 days of warranty left on my truck, including today. I'm waiting now on Chrysler to approve it. I told the gentleman who filed the claim for me to tell Chrysler that they should be happy that I never bothered them for the past 5 years and that at least it's not a lifter/cam issue. He laughed.

I used to own one of these a lifetime ago. It had a Cummins N14 that was tuned to 550HP from the standard 500HP and also had an Eaton-Fuller 18 speed. I loved that truck. I used to drive it from coast to coast. Without a trailer, it weighed around 18K lbs.

View attachment 250002

I used to drive a freezer truck, Cummins international 7 speed, it was 26k pounds empty, lol. It was built better then an armored truck, we freeze the plates and they stay cold overnight. No running cooler like on a fridgerated truck, we had those as well. I swear I loved that truck, spent a decade in the puppy. Scary on grades though, I'd **** people off because I didn't want to be out of 2nd gear on my worst grade. Once it got rolling past 3rd gear there was no stopping it, it would simply force you to gear up and top out until you were flat. Twice a week I did this grade, and thanks to the St. Christopher I never had a reason to stop on the bottom of the grade, because indeed if I had to I could not. When I first started the route I would risk it like a dummy, the longer I did it I could care less, I crawled down the mountain and I didn't care what people thought. When it would get tricky is if a rig was on my 6, then I would have to use my judgement based on what he was doing. I only had one back axle, so they have a lot more brake then me. I think many of them didn't understand what I was doing going so slow. Miss the truck, don't miss that grade.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

View attachment 250002

I appreciate the reply; but if the filter is too restrictive, then that would show up as too high(?) psi under the oil pressure gauge, would it not?

Losing lifters is somewhat common with the hemi, this is the first time I've heard someone link that to a "too small" filter, most theories believe it being either oil too dirty (which might be the real problem WRT to small filters and long oil change intervals), or oil too thin, poor quality control on the lifters themselves, or excessive idling.

Not saying your wrong, I just don't know how oil PSI can be unchanged when swapping in a smaller filter and yet be considered "too restrictive".

Rod Knock

Reaction score
I appreciate the reply; but if the filter is too restrictive, then that would show up as too high(?) psi under the oil pressure gauge, would it not?

Losing lifters is somewhat common with the hemi, this is the first time I've heard someone link that to a "too small" filter, most theories believe it being either oil too dirty (which might be the real problem WRT to small filters and long oil change intervals), or oil too thin, poor quality control on the lifters themselves, or excessive idling.

Not saying your wrong, I just don't know how oil PSI can be unchanged when swapping in a smaller filter and yet be considered "too restrictive".

If you want to run the small filter, then run it. It's you're engine, your money.

For one, it depends where oil pressure is measured in the engine. Oil pressure is affected by bearing / bushing clearance, and other factors, including the oil filter. The oil pressure in the 5.7 HEMI increases once you switch to a bigger filter. The increase is also amplified if you use a slightly thicker oil. I know this because I used both 5w-20 and 0w-40 width the small and big filter.

The bottom line is that with my current setup, which is in my signature, I don't have any issues. I can literally let the truck sit for a month and it starts up like I just turned it off. So take that for what it's worth.

In two days my warranty is up. Knock on wood, I made it for 5 years without issues. I thought about it and I am switching to Red Line Oil, I think it's worth the cost as added insurance. With two young kids and a bunch of other problems, the last thing I need to do is a lifter job.

Why Chrysler is allowing this insanity to continue is beyond me. The only explanation that makes sense is that they don't want these trucks to last for too long because that eats into their profits. SRT Chargers and Challengers, and R/T vehicles running the big filter don't really run into lifter issues.

A few months ago I met a guy who owned a 2015 Charger R/T. He got it new, and at the time I met him he had 145,000 miles on it and the engine sounded like new. We got to talking about maintenance and he told me that he ran the big Mopar filter and Castrol 5W-40 since he got the car.

Go to BITOG and look for Overkill. He's a long time bitoger and a pretty cool guy, though he doesn't think much about Red Line or the Moly plating theory. He runs 0W-20 in his HEMI and uses a big filter, the FRAM XG2. He tows heavy loads with it, and never has any issues. And while you will never catch me running 0W-20 in a HEMI, I am convinced that the small oil filter has a lot to do with lifter failures. Couple that with thin fuel economy oil that polimerizes at high temperatures creating dirt, sludge, and lakes on to dust about anything it can, and the fact that the HEMI is set to run too hot from the factory (it's a hot running engine to begin with), and wonder not why the lifters go bye-bye taking out your cam in the process.

Devildog8791

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
A little late with this part of the discussion, but I have done the AGS delete. I took the whole assembly out. but I kept the motor in and hooked up. Jay Greene deactivated the CEL for it. I also installed a Milodon High-Flow 180 degree thermostat under the recommendation of Jay Greene. In addition, I have taken out the mechanical fan and installed the V6 electric fan. Temps are constant at 185 degrees unless I'm sitting at idle for a few minutes. It then climbs up to around 195 to 199 degrees and the fan comes on.

I just did an oil change this weekend with Red Line 5w-30 and a RP 20-820 filter. I also emptied my catch can which was not too bad, but it still had some nasty stuff in there.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As @phoenixgenesys said the smaller filters are restrictive. The LS motors in the F body ran a small filter. Lots of them went boom on the drag strip. My 98 Z when I got it at 70k was holding lower oil pressure then I would like. The popular upgrade was a wix filter from the 5.3 truck engines. It was 3x the size. I believe at idle warm it was around 20 psi and cold 40. Switched to the truck filter and it went to 40 psi warm close to 60 cold.