T-Case help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Do you mind me asking how much this set you back roughly? I'm in Canada as well. You can PM if you'd rather. Thanks!

You guys should keep it out here,as there's a few guys interested in this swap and what they'd be looking at for cost in Canada or State Side,taking it to message doesn't do anybody else any favours,and it's not like it's a big deal knowing the costs on a swap of this nature.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Yes please keep info here.......I'm considering 6 to 8 swap on my 2014

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys should keep it out here,as there's a few guys interested in this swap and what they'd be looking at for cost in Canada or State Side,taking it to message doesn't do anybody else any favours,and it's not like it's a big deal knowing the costs on a swap of this nature.

Yes absolutely, I agree. I always feel weird though for some reason asking someone what they paid for something, lol.

OP
OP
M

matt0313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 with 8 speed swap
I picked up an engine and trans off facebook from a guy in Toronto, for $500 the engine was shot needed to be rebuilt ( which I'm doing slowly) plus $1,500 ($1,100 us) from Russell at sound German Automotive. I also sent him me ecu for him to flash it to run properly. The rams have a 4 plug ecu, the plug closest to the engine (4th one is green) controls the trans , what he had to do was flash it so everything else work but that 4th plug. Then he tuned it for proper fuel trim and timing. Everything else is honestly direct bolt on. The bell is the same bolt pattern the only thing I had to do was elongate the trans mounting cross meamber holes other then that nothing is different but for my 09 I have to change the Tcase because the wiring will not work but I was told by Russell that he did his truck with the 8 speed and they plugged right in. His is a 2010 . So I can't tell you forsure it will work but the difference in performance and fuel milage is noticeable right away.

The trans cooler needs to be changed from the 5 or 6 speed trans as it's not big enough if you can find the a/c condecor from a truck with an 8 speed the trans cooler is built into it as far as I was told. I just had an aftermarket one on its way for something else. Anymore questions let me know if be happy to help the best I can , if any of you guys are in the hamilton area then I'd be willing to swing by if possible.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I picked up an engine and trans off facebook from a guy in Toronto, for $500 the engine was shot needed to be rebuilt ( which I'm doing slowly) plus $1,500 ($1,100 us) from Russell at sound German Automotive. I also sent him me ecu for him to flash it to run properly. The rams have a 4 plug ecu, the plug closest to the engine (4th one is green) controls the trans , what he had to do was flash it so everything else work but that 4th plug. Then he tuned it for proper fuel trim and timing. Everything else is honestly direct bolt on. The bell is the same bolt pattern the only thing I had to do was elongate the trans mounting cross meamber holes other then that nothing is different but for my 09 I have to change the Tcase because the wiring will not work but I was told by Russell that he did his truck with the 8 speed and they plugged right in. His is a 2010 . So I can't tell you forsure it will work but the difference in performance and fuel milage is noticeable right away.

The trans cooler needs to be changed from the 5 or 6 speed trans as it's not big enough if you can find the a/c condecor from a truck with an 8 speed the trans cooler is built into it as far as I was told. I just had an aftermarket one on its way for something else. Anymore questions let me know if be happy to help the best I can , if any of you guys are in the hamilton area then I'd be willing to swing by if possible.

You should start a seperate thread on swapping from the earlier 5/6 speed RFE to the 8 speed down in the performance section.I already own a 8 speed truck,but even i'm interested in this swap.
Rick

OP
OP
M

matt0313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 with 8 speed swap
You should start a seperate thread on swapping from the earlier 5/6 speed RFE to the 8 speed down in the performance section.I already own a 8 speed truck,but even i'm interested in this swap.
Rick
I will do that, I wish I took pictures while I was doing it . Never thought of that damn it haha

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That doesn't sound too bad all then, doesn't seem anywhere near the $10K+ I kept seeing tossed around. Maybe I should kibosh the 4.56 gears and attempt this instead, lol. Only ****** part is my truck is my daily so I'd have figure some way to send my ecu.

Edit: @matt0313 Do you have column shifter or console shifter and were you able to retain that?

OP
OP
M

matt0313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 with 8 speed swap
That doesn't sound too bad all then, doesn't seem anywhere near the $10K+ I kept seeing tossed around. Maybe I should kibosh the 4.56 gears and attempt this instead, lol. Only ****** part is my truck is my daily so I'd have figure some way to send my ecu.
The swap took me a day to do, but I also got lucky that I found the engine and trans for that cheap , you'll also need the starter the flep plates are different from 5 or 6 speed flex plates. The tuning is honestly really easy he explained it to me but to get the software to do it isn't cheap so I didn't bother to do it but other then the TCM and the tuning everything else is only a weekend project . You can pm if and when you start your project if you need help. I'd be willing to give out my phone number to people if needed for quick response but people can be jack asses so lol

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The swap took me a day to do, but I also got lucky that I found the engine and trans for that cheap , you'll also need the starter the flep plates are different from 5 or 6 speed flex plates. The tuning is honestly really easy he explained it to me but to get the software to do it isn't cheap so I didn't bother to do it but other then the TCM and the tuning everything else is only a weekend project . You can pm if and when you start your project if you need help. I'd be willing to give out my phone number to people if needed for quick response but people can be jack asses so lol

I'm not a jack ass...I promise, lol. Thanks though man, I appreciate it. A buddy of mine runs a PartsUPick so I may plant the bug in his ear to keep a look out. Probably isn't something I'll be doing right away, as I dropped some coin last year on a new valve body/channel plate, etc. so I may just run this thing into the ground first. But it would be nice to have a game plan and everything needed when that day does eventually come.

OP
OP
M

matt0313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 with 8 speed swap
Haha let me know when your thinking about doing it and I'll let you know what you'll need ( it isn't much)

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haha let me know when your thinking about doing it and I'll let you know what you'll need ( it isn't much)

Awesome man! Not sure if you noticed my earlier post before I edited it, but did you have to install the 8 speed dial or were you able to keep your current shifter?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
you have to install the 8 speed dial or were you able to keep your current shifter?
The 8 spd transmission is shift by wire, the shift dial must be used.
You could possibly make some linkage to turn the knob via your shifter but getting it to index correctly will be a challenge.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The 8 spd transmission is shift by wire, the shift dial must be used.
You could possibly make some linkage to turn the knob via your shifter but getting it to index correctly will be a challenge.

I think Hellraiser has managed to adapt the Jeeps 8 speed console shifter into an earlier RFE equipped truck when they did a Hellcat engine and 8 speed swap on a 2013 truck awhile ago.It's a totally differant console shifter then what's in the earlier trucks though,but if you do want a console shifter it is possible. I think i've even seen it mentioned that Russell has put paddle shifters into a few of his 8 speed swaps.You can add paddle shifters to the factory 8 speed equipped trucks,as they've been in my truck for 5+ years now.

IMG_4034 (2).JPG

IMG_4039.JPG

OP
OP
M

matt0313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 with 8 speed swap
I used the dial shifter , to be honest I wish I used the console shifter out of a charger or the jeeps . Onle because I ended up installing a center console and the dial shifternlooks kinda stupid there lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I used the dial shifter , to be honest I wish I used the console shifter out of a charger or the jeeps . Onle because I ended up installing a center console and the dial shifternlooks kinda stupid there lol

Did you put the dial in the console or in the lower corner of the dash (aka: factory location) Matt.

OP
OP
M

matt0313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 with 8 speed swap
Did you put the dial in the console or in the lower corner of the dash (aka: factory location) Matt.
I had everything to put in the lower part of the dash but I'd have to cut the Das to make it fit plut re wire for the new style of heater controls . Which could be done but I didn't want to take the time to do it so I bought a center console and put it in there. Just so I could drive it now I'm going to 3d print or buy the console shifter out of a jeep or charger (new style ) to make it look and fit better. Don't mind the mess it's still my work truck haha

20210228_095834.jpg

OP
OP
M

matt0313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 with 8 speed swap
The two plugs you see there are for the tuning and code reading for the trans tcm again not pretty but not finished with the clean up job just yet lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The two plugs you see there are for the tuning and code reading for the trans tcm again not pretty but not finished with the clean up job just yet lol

Function before looks Matt,if it works that's all that matters,lol.
Don't quote me on this,but i seem to remember Charles at Hellraiser saying the Jeeps shifter was a better fit in the trucks console then the cars shifter is,i don't remember why though.
Rick

OP
OP
M

matt0313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 with 8 speed swap
Function before looks Matt,if it works that's all that matters,lol.
Don't quote me on this,but i seem to remember Charles at Hellraiser saying the Jeeps shifter was a better fit in the trucks console then the cars shifter is,i don't remember why though.
Rick
You might be right but I already had this kicking around so I used it just wish I had the one out of the jeeps