"Tesla Style" 10.4 Android Radio Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadpooly6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have tried to search the thread and I’m getting no luck before anyone jumps down my throat. I have a 10.4 running 7.1 in my 2015 ram 1500. I have a few issues but the biggest is that my hazard lights button doesn’t function and the provided usb and factory usb don’t work. Does anyone have a diagram of where things are supposed to be plugged in etc?

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I have tried to search the thread and I’m getting no luck before anyone jumps down my throat. I have a 10.4 running 7.1 in my 2015 ram 1500. I have a few issues but the biggest is that my hazard lights button doesn’t function and the provided usb and factory usb don’t work. Does anyone have a diagram of where things are supposed to be plugged in etc?

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
RamCares

Deadpooly6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t think it’s a dealership issue it’s an issue with the way I have the unit hooked up. Does anyone know where exactly the USB gets connected? I tried to contact Phoenix and they won’t help me.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
This thread is designed to provide hands on feedback and information to the forum regarding the 10.4 Vertical Android Radio "tesla style". This is built upon the "Any tesla radio installs" thread which has grown to over 40 pages. I am not sponsored nor have any relation to any brands, companies, or sellers. All of the information in this thread is for educational purposes only and I will not be held responsible for any damages or issues should you decide to follow any of the information in this thread. Posts will be broken down in a somewhat categorical way and I'll provide as much information as I can. I welcome other's who own the unit to contribute but please keep the information in a concise manor.

Unit Options and Where To Buy:
  • The unit itself is a 10.4 inch vertical touch screen device running android version 4.4.4. This is the ONLY version of android these units run and will ever run. If you see it advertised as higher version it is false (some companies "fake" the android version on the unit to read at version 6.0) The unit is not technically an android tablet but an android appliance, this along with the processor installed in the unit is the limiting factor to being able to upgrade the android version.
  • There are two versions available for purchase; 1/32 and 2/64. 1G of Ram and 32G of flash OR 2G of Ram and 64G of flash. Any other combination is false advertising and again can be "faked" on the unit itself.
  • I have personal experience purchasing from both Espony-cargo.com as well as PhoenixAndroidRadios.com. These units can be found on ebay, alibaba, as well as other sites.
  • Espony-Cargo.com as of 2/16/18 has a note that the unit is 1G of ram 32G of flash HOWEVER in the hardware parameters it is listed 2G ram 32G flash. I believe this is in response to multiple buyers (myself included) reporting them for falsely advertises the unit as 2G of ram. Espony-Cargo also offers minimal technical support all of which is through email.
  • PhoenixAndroidRadio.com offers both version and I can vouch that the 2G/64G is correct and verifiable via 3rd party apps. Phoenix also offers support via their Facebook page, email, and has a California based support telephone number. They are quick to offer up help.
  • To the best of my knowledge these are the EXACT SAME units no matter where you buy them from so long as the specifications (ram and flash) are correct.
Link to buy it on PhoenixAndroidRadio and Espony-Cargo. Both sellers have a few discount codes floating around, all I'll say is take a look on their facebook pages and a quick google search should get you some results.
Some stock photos of the units, real photos will be posted in other sections of this thread.

WeChat_Image_20170815234522_1024x1024.jpg TB2uvemXYMlyKJjSZFlXXbMoFXa__2222177650_1024x1024.jpg
The last picture in this post show the board where the ribbon cable is plugged in for the hazards. It's a flimsy connection, try to re-seat that cable.

The USB plug on the back of the radio is the only plug that can be placed into the wrong hole. Make sure it's in the correct spot.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Deadpooly6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah that’s the problem I don’t know where is the right plug. I have tried moving it around and it has never worked. I don’t really care if it works all the time, but it would be nice to update the unit.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yeah that’s the problem I don’t know where is the right plug. I have tried moving it around and it has never worked. I don’t really care if it works all the time, but it would be nice to update the unit.
There is only one plug that is exactly the right size for it. I'd take a picture to show you but I don't have it readily available.

Wayne Stella

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Here is one for you. I sent Phoenix an email about my steering wheel audio control issue and they replied setting up a tech call, which happened Friday night. During the video call we tried a few changes to the settings with no luck. So Chris said he would email me some files so I could do a factory reset and basically start from scratch. Since I have been having problems getting the USB I had connected in the center console to read a flash drive I needed to pull the radio to switch the connections which I did yesterday. Today I did the factory reset using the settings menu on the radio with Phoenix's files on the flash drive. Look what happened....... Everything is upside down and the picture is out of focus is the best way I can explain it. Things work, yes, if you can figure out what all the settings are and read it upside down. But guess what doesn't work? You guessed it.....the steering wheel audio controls! Needless to say I'm waiting for a reply from the tech who said I could text him using the number we used Friday. More to follow I'm sure.

20201117_124217.jpg

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Here is one for you. I sent Phoenix an email about my steering wheel audio control issue and they replied setting up a tech call, which happened Friday night. During the video call we tried a few changes to the settings with no luck. So Chris said he would email me some files so I could do a factory reset and basically start from scratch. Since I have been having problems getting the USB I had connected in the center console to read a flash drive I needed to pull the radio to switch the connections which I did yesterday. Today I did the factory reset using the settings menu on the radio with Phoenix's files on the flash drive. Look what happened....... Everything is upside down and the picture is out of focus is the best way I can explain it. Things work, yes, if you can figure out what all the settings are and read it upside down. But guess what doesn't work? You guessed it.....the steering wheel audio controls! Needless to say I'm waiting for a reply from the tech who said I could text him using the number we used Friday. More to follow I'm sure.

View attachment 227739

Are the screen touches accurate or does it press somewhere else on the screen when you press too?

Wayne Stella

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Are the screen touches accurate or does it press somewhere else on the screen when you press too?

Yes they are accurate. I even tried updating the firmware like we had tried before and I get the same result. Its like the graphics card blew up and decided to stand on Its head.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yes they are accurate. I even tried updating the firmware like we had tried before and I get the same result. Its like the graphics card blew up and decided to stand on Its head.

There is a setting to change that. Change whatever current value is set for "screen rotating" and "bit depth" to the opposite of what is currently set... 3050a458bdba4b745bb96b9a55c254a8.jpg

Wayne Stella

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There is a setting to change that. Change whatever current value is set for "screen rotating" and "bit depth" to the opposite of what is currently set... 3050a458bdba4b745bb96b9a55c254a8.jpg

Thank you. About the same time I got a reply from Phoenix folks on the Tesla fb page said the same thing as you. I was able to get it fixed so it's usable but still no audio controls

JustLovett0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L 8cyl
Thank you. About the same time I got a reply from Phoenix folks on the Tesla fb page said the same thing as you. I was able to get it fixed so it's usable but still no audio controls

No audio controls, or sound just doesn't play? Does your vehicle have the ALPINE audio system, or the more stock audio package?

Wayne Stella

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
No audio controls, or sound just doesn't play? Does your vehicle have the ALPINE audio system, or the more stock audio package?
No audio controls using the buttons on the steering wheel. Stock audio system. It used to work. I had an issue with the backup camera and took out the Phoenix radio and put the oem radio back in to eliminate the radio as the issue. Stock radio audio controls worked. Since the camera issue was not the radio I put the Phoenix radio back in and that it when the audio controls stopped working. I did a tech call with Phoenix and tried a few settings changes but no luck. They sent me for files to put on a flash drive and connect it to the radio usb and do a factory reset. That created a while bunch of other problems. You may have seen the pictures I posted yesterday. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Lol

JustLovett0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L 8cyl
No audio controls using the buttons on the steering wheel. Stock audio system. It used to work. I had an issue with the backup camera and took out the Phoenix radio and put the oem radio back in to eliminate the radio as the issue. Stock radio audio controls worked. Since the camera issue was not the radio I put the Phoenix radio back in and that it when the audio controls stopped working. I did a tech call with Phoenix and tried a few settings changes but no luck. They sent me for files to put on a flash drive and connect it to the radio usb and do a factory reset. That created a while bunch of other problems. You may have seen the pictures I posted yesterday. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Lol

Not sure about the Steering Wheel Controls. Their system is very different than the radios I work with. I was hoping I could fix it with wiring. What's the name of the files they gave you? Is it "PX6.zip, Factoryset.xml, mainlogo, bootlogo, and touchkeycfg.xml?"

Ryanhoelzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone using these with 2 phones? If you have them both paired, will either ringing connect to the system? Or do you have to have it set to a preferred phone or something?

makiavelic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 57
Good estimates, excuse my English but I am Chilean, can someone help me update my tesla style radio that is not from Phoenix but from China and the firmware that the current one was 20180824A_1024x768_ROOT.img which worked well but then I wanted to try with 20180914A-Ver1.0.1 .chwy-EN-1024_ROOT_HYBRID.zip and it produced this problem of screens I have reinstalled the previous firmware but I have not been able to solve it

Image.jpeg

Image-1.jpeg

Image-2.jpeg

Image-13.jpeg

Image-14.jpeg

JustLovett0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L 8cyl
Good News for 2019-2020 Ram owners. Linkswell is releasing a 12.1" Radio for those new trucks. Attached to this post are a few photos of it, and we haven't installed it in a truck yet, and we plan to begin testing next week, (12/7/20 - 12/11/20), but this unit includes all wires needed for install in ANY trim 2019-20 (and probably 21) ram trucks. MSRP is $1,295.

It's not on our website yet, but I plan to add it to the website in the next week or two. If you placed an order through a Linkswell retailer, they are able to order this new product from us.

Link to more photos:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gjozmdxiq8b1zv3/AAB350jWZpt0J478lHeRec1Ra?dl=0

Front2.jpg

Right Side.jpg

StartupScreen.jpg

Climate Control.jpg