"Tesla Style" 10.4 Android Radio Information

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by mdifilippo, Feb 16, 2018.

1. XDA guy

XDA guy Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    4.7 L
    Last time I removed mine, it took me like 15 minutes to get rid of the Tesla unit and connect my stock one. Honestly, I think I can do it even blindfolded with the number of times I had to connect and reconnect just to figure it out what was wrong with the AC controls.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

2. SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.6 Pentastar
    I have had these swapped many times too (too many?)...

I actually pack my 8.4 and bezel in my truck for long road trips because I still don't really trust these radios.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

3. big daddys house

big daddys house Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Hey guys got a question for you. I have someone on my YouTube page asking a question that I cannot answer cuz I do not have an iPhone but I know some of you do have iPhones.
    He's asking if his iPhone can be mirrored to the Tesla style radio without buying any extra plugins or dongles.... Now I know it will mirror an Android phone but I am not sure about an iPhone.
    Thank thank you in advance sirs. you all rock!

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend likes this.
  4. SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.6 Pentastar
    I'm not sure but the CarlinKit Dongles are solid for CarPlay.

I've never been able to get the built in EasyConnected app to work (it always has licensing issues)...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

5. Tan Cai

Tan Cai Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0l
    I have a 2015 Ram 1500 and have put the Tesla style radio in it. I have upgraded it with newest software and everything seems to work but one thing. It will only tune a couple AM station some times and no FM stations. The couple AM stations that come in are also no the right station for the number set. I have tried several radio settings from North America, South America etc. with no solution. I also put the stock unit back in and the radio work great. Anyone have an idea?
    Thanks

6. Swissarmyknife

Swissarmyknife Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0L EcoDiesel
    Where did you get the HU from and are you 100% certain your antenna cable is seated? Others will chime in I am sure, but unless you give us a bit more info on your specific unit, there isn't much else we can offer.

I remember my first android HU for my Jetta was total crap! I could not get stations that were a few miles away and there was nothing in the settings that would make a difference. So it is possible that you just have a HU that has a poor receiver.

SitKneelBend likes this.
  7. Swissarmyknife

Swissarmyknife Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0L EcoDiesel
    Why no extra dongle? Did the person elaborate?

BTW, has anyone tried to use an USB hub that would allow to extend the # of available USB's. I know that works on regular tablets where you can hook up extra devices, but since these guys behave like appliances, not sure if it would work.

8. Swissarmyknife

Swissarmyknife Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0L EcoDiesel
    Of course, they attempted to deliver 10 min after my wife left the house at 2pm. So now I have a second delivery attempt and my signature on file for tomorrow.

This will be my first shot at taking the 8.4 out and the new one in. I doubt I will be anywhere near 30min or XDA guy's 15min... impressive.

9. XDA guy

XDA guy Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    4.7 L
    I had this issue when I upgraded my MCU version - it killed my radio signal. I had to roll back to fix it, when you say that you upgraded the software, what exactly did you do and which files you used from where?. Just trying to understand better.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend likes this.
  10. Tan Cai

Tan Cai Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0l
    I got it used but the guys said it was a Phoenix system. They won't help me as I dont have a order number. When I first got it the radio was working good but no AC etc so I got the newest software and mcu from Phoenix website. Everything works well now except the radio. It is not the newest hardware they put out as it says it is running android 6.0 but I think it is really 4.4.4. I also have checked both ends of the antenna connector a couple of times and they look good. I am an electrician so I should be able to figure out how to connect the antenna. Haha
    Thanks for any help :)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019