The 6.4 HD Hemi Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Here is my input. I have a 2014 2500 4X4 CC and I have ran a few tanks of fuel thru it so far. I am at 900 miles on it in just over a week. On mid grade fuel with ethanol that's winter grade, I am averaging about 11mpg. On 91 octane fuel without ethanol I am getting 15mpg. Big difference there. But the non ethanol fuel is ¢. 40 more per gallon. Not sure on the benefits of the gains yet. Haven't took a trip yet, all my miles have been on city, backwoods, and some 4 lane highways here in the mountains of West Virginia.

On the power. Well yes it does have a lot of get up an go. The Ford 6.2 can't even compete. And well, the Chevy/GMC 6.0 isn't even worth mentioning. When you punch it. Yes even with the traction control on it will break the tires free very easily. And when the traction control is off, wow. Lets just say it will do donuts in a heartbeat. "WORD OF CAUTION HERE" if you are on wet roads, do not turn off the traction control and then punch it. Lol. It's a handful... And will go sideways and spin around on you in a blink of an eye.

On towing. With a 12,000lbs load got right at 10mpg. No squat in the rear and I had about 800lbs of tongue weight. No problem going from 0 to 75mph on a 9% uphill grade. And going down the same hill was just as easy. No complaints on the breaking. I love the fact that I can pre-program towing settings for 4 different trailers. And the power adjust mirrors are great.

Now for my cons... I hate the big ass floor console in the middle up front. Sometimes I need to use my middle seat up front. And with the console in the floor, it is a real pain. My son hates it and my wife really hates it. On the back seat. Why did they cut out the middle seat part in the back seat. Definitely not liking that either.

Cupholders. Lol. You have 6 up front and then only 2 in the back. Lol. Doesn't make much sense there.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II...
I agree completely with the center console down low, it takes up a lot of space for nothing. I was at an auto show this weekend and boy is that console with the sliding centerpiece on new trucks sweet. I'm wondering if I would be able to figure it out because I have the 4-wheel drive lever on the floor, kind of look like it would fit if I modified the console. Something to think about in a year or two. And why there are so many cup holders up front is just nutty.

But so far so good with the engine and the rest of the truck. Really like it, and I got a great deal on it back in October.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
And why there are so many cup holders up front is just nutty.

Clearly you have never had a water, coffee, soda, Gatorade, and spit cup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
The cup holders! Lol.

3 on the floor.
3 in the console.
And the foam inserts in the doors at 2 each.

For my regular cab.
If I had a drinking "problem", I still don't need that many cup holders.

ddown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Are the making 6.4s different? I had looked in 15 and 17 at them both knocked when cold. Just bought 2019 3500 quiet no ticks even @-5 out Happy Man

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Did anyone change out their battery? What battery do you recommend? (6.4L)

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Deka AGM. The O'Reilly Platinum(?) is a Deka AGM, also.

"Deka 9A94R (H7/L4) Intimidator AGM Automotive Battery (Group 94R) 12 Volt 800 CCA" this one right? How long have u had it?

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
"Deka 9A94R (H7/L4) Intimidator AGM Automotive Battery (Group 94R) 12 Volt 800 CCA" this one right? How long have u had it?

I sold my gasser when I got my dually. The OEM battery made it roughly three years, so it was maybe a year and a half old at that point, but I have used Deka batteries for a long time, and sold them when I was in the powersports business. When my OEM batteries sputter in this truck it will get a pair of Dekas for sure.

Last edited:

Cpap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Did anyone change out their battery? What battery do you recommend? (6.4L)
The best one they had in stock at Walmart. IMO can't beat Wally world for batteries; good price, good warranty, they are everywhere and you don't need a receipt for the warranty.

Clark Kent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Love the space of the mega cab, hate that hemi tick its had since day one. Granted, I only hear it once the windows are down, but it still annoys me.

dclaspill

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My fan worked perfect until about 1,500 miles, now on ALL the time. Not sure why yours would do the above. I've looked and dealer researched and the 6.4 fan is manual only-no hook up to computer. They started a Chrysler trouble ticket as they have had three 6.4 with clutch fan issues. Ordering a new one for me and we'll see what happens. It is an issue on this fan but Chrysler has not issued any bulletin yet. 5.7 doesn't do it so may use a 5.7 fan??? Ideas?

OK I hope you can help me with this issue. I noticed my electric fan run's all the time and the only way to get it to stop is to pull the fuse. Has anyone found a solution to this? I did notice that there appears to be 2 temp sensors on the trucks with the 6.4. One on the pump and one on the thermostat housing. My thinking is that the one on the thermostat housing is the one that controls the fan and the sensor went bad but i'm not sure because i cant seam to find anything about it anywhere. My temp gauge works fine and my Trinity T2 reads the temp increase with no problems. and it appears that the one on the pump is the replaceable one and the one on the thermostat housing has to have the whole housing replaced. any information on this is greatly appreciated. Thank you

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The one on the thermostat housing is not a temp sensor, it heats the thermostat to give the pcm better control of the engine temp.
I couldnt find in service information the theory of operation of the electric fan. im guessing engine, trans temp. AC pressure will dictate when the fan comes on.

dclaspill

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The one on the thermostat housing is not a temp sensor, it heats the thermostat to give the pcm better control of the engine temp.
I couldnt find in service information the theory of operation of the electric fan. im guessing engine, trans temp. AC pressure will dictate when the fan comes on.
Ok thanks I guess ill just cut and splice a switch in-line to it and when im stuck in traffic or it starts to heat up ill just turn it on that way. Thank you for looking into it some more for me.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

AlexC2350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey just bought my 6.4 a few months ago. I’m really liking the truck other than i miss the big horn options i had in my 1500. I’m at about 50% until the I’m due for an oil change. I just rolled 10,000 bought it at 7500 miles. There is an Amsoil sticker under the hood, I haven’t looked at the filter yet but I’m assuming this truck has Amsoil in it. Ive always heard once you go with Amsoil you can’t start using anything else. Is this true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey just bought my 6.4 a few months ago. I’m really liking the truck other than i miss the big horn options i had in my 1500. I’m at about 50% until the I’m due for an oil change. I just rolled 10,000 bought it at 7500 miles. There is an Amsoil sticker under the hood, I haven’t looked at the filter yet but I’m assuming this truck has Amsoil in it. Ive always heard once you go with Amsoil you can’t start using anything else. Is this true?

Not true at all. OE oil is 0w40 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and it is a good oil. I would change it if you don’t know exactly what mileage it was changed at.

AlexC2350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thank you, that’s what I was hoping to to hear. I ran the penzoil in my 1500 and it ran great with that. Also Amsoil is a little more difficult to get

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Amazon between $8 and $9 a quart.

I’m not sure if your referring to Amsoil being 8-9 bucks a quart on amazon or Pennzoil? You can definitely find pennzoil on amazon but you will not find Amsoil 0w40 on there and if you do it won’t be that cheap.

You can only get 0w40 in the signature series and it’s about 13.50 quart. If your a preferred customer you can get it for 10 bucks a quart and that’s directly thru Amsoil or a dealer.

I just went thru this myself between pennzoil and Amsoil and ultimately choose Amsoil. I can tell you my truck feels and sounds better than it did before the oil change. Maybe it’s just me so who knows. Some trucks like pennzoil better and some like other brands it seems so really it’s a matter of what your truck likes.