The 6.4 HD Hemi Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tunaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the point completely blew over your head @Tunaman

You are completely missing the point and chosing the sections that help your case.

But I am ok with that. You do what feels comfortable for you. And I will continue to give information for someone to find their own comfort zone.

Everyone should go buy a ranger and a 5th wheel and tow away. I saw a guy do that once. Looked completely safe and I could tell he was in full control.

As far as the lawn care guys with the diesel 2500. The ones around here have a 2500 because they need a crew cab and an 8 foot bed. They choose the diesel for all the miles they put on.

I think the purpose of what @dhay13 said is because you...or someone in this thread thought payload was only what you put in the bed. It is everything you put on or in the truck. A new vanity SUPER TRUCKER license plate to lights on the rear bumper...to that xtra large coffee to the passengers and their luggage.

That is what he meant.

And nor sure which guy you are...but rhe one guy has about 4 inches of drop in his rear and is clearly light on the front axle. His truck manhandles the rig...but imagine how well it would tow it if the weight was distributed back properly. The astronauts sure would appreciate it if the guy tows at night.

People who have toeing experience can take all our discussion with a grain of salt.

But, the new guy who got lied to by a car salesman and a trailer salesman...they need to be shown the basics, what the numbers mean and how to get to them, and what is safe and unsafe.

Some of this comes from experience and some from reading comprehension.

And since this is the 6.4l HEMI thread...I have noticed those lawn care guys that run RAM trucks. They have made the switch to the 6.4l. Because it is a good choice against the Cummmins.

Tunaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok DevilDog, I get it. It’s best to buy a 2500 hd, 8’ bed to haul a sheet of 8’ plywood twice a yr. And what dealership do you work at?? LOL

Campincatfish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I purchased a 2016 Ram 2500 with the 6.4L Hemi a couple weeks ago. It has hi miles (125000). I. Excellent condition inside and out. However when I hooked my 8,000 camper too it this week I had a terrible mis in the engine. Check engine light came in and flashed for a little. After shutting off and restarting it went out but continued to miss sometimes. I feel a very small mis once in a while when not towing but not much. It has new coil packs a plugs. Any ideas? I did post this in the towing forum but didn’t get a lot of replies. Hoping the 6.4 forum will find something else that had this problem. Thanks.

Tunaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This sounds like a fantastic setup and you clearly know what you’re doing. Haul away... /sarcasm

It sounds like your truck and trailer has escaped the clutches of inter-state weigh stations where fines are routinely handed out for over-weight rigs. I’ve seen state police and highway patrol chase down half-ton truck and trailer drivers that looked overloaded and have them run the scales.

In my experience as a professional owner / operator hauling heavy coast to coast, I’ve seen it all. The worst accidents I’ve seen involved overloaded half-ton trucks and trailers driven by over-confident operators.

I wish you well...
Thanks, I appreciate the good will. In all my years ontheroad, and trust me they are many, I have never...not once seen a travel trailer in a weigh station. Not saying it has never happened but I have never see it.iveseena lot more “inexperienced, over confident” big rig drivers, especially in the last 5 yrs I wrecks than travel trailers. Good luck to you to my friend.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I purchased a 2016 Ram 2500 with the 6.4L Hemi a couple weeks ago. It has hi miles (125000). I. Excellent condition inside and out. However when I hooked my 8,000 camper too it this week I had a terrible mis in the engine. Check engine light came in and flashed for a little. After shutting off and restarting it went out but continued to miss sometimes. I feel a very small mis once in a while when not towing but not much. It has new coil packs a plugs. Any ideas? I did post this in the towing forum but didn’t get a lot of replies. Hoping the 6.4 forum will find something else that had this problem. Thanks.
A couple things come to mind, are you using correct weight oil? And maybe it was coincidentally tied to bad gas, might have had water or contaminates in it. Also did you use 89 grade fuel? Run your truck close to empty, fill up at different station with 89 fuel, maybe add a bottled of injection cleaner as well, and try towing again. If still a problem then at least you have eliminated a couple areas that could be a problem. Good luck

Last edited:

KLook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I decided not to read 465 pages.....sorry. I would like to ask if anyone has come up with an oil compatible with the Penzoil. I just brought home a 2014 3500 with 6.4.

Kevin

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I decided not to read 465 pages.....sorry. I would like to ask if anyone has come up with an oil compatible with the Penzoil. I just brought home a 2014 3500 with 6.4.

Kevin

I run Amsoil. 0w40 signature series. It can be had for 10 bucks a quart if your a preferred member which is 20.00 for a year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Has anyone done the 2-Lo mod on their 6.4/66RFE?

ddown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Shaeffers, AMSoil, Valvoline, and Pennzoil, Redline all meet requirements --Mopar requirements

ddown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Kevin
Redline, Amsoil, Schaffers, Valovoline, Pennzoil all meet MS-1263

Kawphe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I also only read a few pages. I'm sure I'll wade through them at some point and find some good stuff.

I've had my 2016 2500 6.4 4x4 for about 6 months. I've had many gen 2s and was never impressed with the Magnum engines. I had a 05 Silverado HD and a 2011 Denali HD, both 6.0L with very high miles and no issues. But I still felt like they lacked the guts to pull my enclosed trailer. I got this Ram, and while it doesn't have a ton more rated power, it feels like it because it is so smooth and quiet.

The center controls are far better than even the 2019 Denali HD 6.6L I borrowed while searching for mine. I like sitting up higher with no lift. My 2011 Denali was leveled and rode like crap.

One of the few concerns I have is the ridiculously small fuel tank. It's like 31 or 32 gallons compared to the 36 I had in the 2011 GMC. Mileage seems about the same, maybe a hair better, but range still sucks with the small tank.

I get a lot of compliments on the truck, it just looks good, has much more rear seat space for the kiddos/tools, and the sound system kicks nicely with the factory sub under the rear seat.

Lilbxl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Do you have valve train noise? Ticking?

TxReezen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking at a used 2018 ram 2500 6.4 CC 4wd tradesman with 77k any advice or certain things to look for. They want $34k for it great shape 2 owner

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Looking at a used 2018 ram 2500 6.4 CC 4wd tradesman with 77k any advice or certain things to look for. They want $34k for it great shape 2 owner
Well, according to KBB that is a good price with standard equipment and in good shape. I have same truck, I totally love mine. Bought new in 2019, did a few upgrades and have exact truck I wanted. Good luck.

thomas5853

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

I have a 2018 with 77k Laramie. The only issue I have had is the radio getting replaced and the cruise control switch. Not sure if the price is good or bad. See if they can through in extended warranty and free oil changes.

TxReezen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, according to KBB that is a good price with standard equipment and in good shape. I have same truck, I totally love mine. Bought new in 2019, did a few upgrades and have exact truck I wanted. Good luck.

Yea standard tradesman with tow mirrors and rear back up sensors cloth seating and floors

TxReezen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2018 with 77k Laramie. The only issue I have had is the radio getting replaced and the cruise control switch. Not sure if the price is good or bad. See if they can through in extended warranty and free oil changes.

One of the things I’m trying to work in the deal is extended warranty. Glad to hear you got the same mileage and little issues thanks for the response

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
That is funny. My son has a 2018 2500 SLT Outdoorsman with almost every option available. He tried to trade it in with about 80,000 miles on it and they were only going to give him $25,000 but when I checked KBB it said trade in was about $35,000-37,000.

He has about 90,000 miles on it now and not a single issue. I have the exact same truck with 22,000 miles on it and so far the only issue is my rear rotors pitted real bad so I had to replace the pads and rotors at 20,000 miles and warranty wouldn't cover it. The only other issue is I have the 8.4 nav touch screen and the GPS was way off but they replaced that under warranty.

$34,000 doesn't sound too bad and these are great trucks. Prices are up right now. My step-son was looking for one like mine and my sons with most options and no matter the miles couldn't find one under $40,000 so if it looks good then I say go for it

TxReezen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is funny. My son has a 2018 2500 SLT Outdoorsman with almost every option available. He tried to trade it in with about 80,000 miles on it and they were only going to give him $25,000 but when I checked KBB it said trade in was about $35,000-37,000.

He has about 90,000 miles on it now and not a single issue. I have the exact same truck with 22,000 miles on it and so far the only issue is my rear rotors pitted real bad so I had to replace the pads and rotors at 20,000 miles and warranty wouldn't cover it. The only other issue is I have the 8.4 nav touch screen and the GPS was way off but they replaced that under warranty.

$34,000 doesn't sound too bad and these are great trucks. Prices are up right now. My step-son was looking for one like mine and my sons with most options and no matter the miles couldn't find one under $40,000 so if it looks good then I say go for it

Appreciate the response and I’m leaning heavily to pull the trigger. I had a 18 Cummins but things changed and traded it in!!! Now I’m kinda regretting it as you stated use prices are way up and there are limited rebates and deals to be had with the shortages of new trucks