Ticking in the engine...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Burla Thanks for that. Would Redline 5W30 help with the tick?
The reason I ask is because since I bought the truck, I’ve been running Redline 5W30 and now my engine is still having some sort of tick. My mechanic is saying that it’s a mild lifter tick since every other possible reason (header bolts, etc.) has been ruled out.
It seems that Redline did really prevent the tick from happening.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Your mechanic now recommends redline 5w30 for hemi tick should tell you yes it should properly cushion that tick, but apparently didnt. So the only move is to go thicker because viscosity may be the answer. But as I said, I don't hear what you hear, guys like us get sensitive to hemi tick because we know the bad of it. If you can find a uoa lab over there you can check the wear metals, see how the engine is wearing and if there is an issue. The only thing left is thick heavy additive oils. I have no idea what would work if redline 5w30 didnt, maybe a 15w40 diesel oil is worth a shot. Or try recommended oil 5w20 and see how much of a difference between that and the 5w30 redline.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your mechanic now recommends redline 5w30 for hemi tick should tell you yes it should properly cushion that tick, but apparently didnt. So the only move is to go thicker because viscosity may be the answer. But as I said, I don't hear what you hear, guys like us get sensitive to hemi tick because we know the bad of it. If you can find a uoa lab over there you can check the wear metals, see how the engine is wearing and if there is an issue. The only thing left is thick heavy additive oils. I have no idea what would work if redline 5w30 didnt, maybe a 15w40 diesel oil is worth a shot. Or try recommended oil 5w20 and see how much of a difference between that and the 5w30 redline.
Thanks for that.. so you’re saying go thicker? I’m thinking 10W40 and the only really good one available is Castrol Edge.
You think that would be good?

We don’t have labs here in the Middle East that test for such things. There’s only the route of using the best stuff and hoping for the best. Learn from the mistakes and move on. lol

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I think that would be real good, but of course you are going thicker then factory recommends with mds, but that is what I'd do. Good luck

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Agree with that kind of track record, Redline is worth giving a shot.
I visited the workshop today and got a good look at the issue. One of the lifters is completely missing a roller.
Also the mechanic has a friend that works in the main dealer who said that any vehicle that comes in, they always use SAE-5w20 or SAE-5w30 and that this roller issue is just a common fault with the engine. It cannot be prevented in any way.
So that dealer contact suggested that we use SAE-5w30 for all the oil changes and there are a number Dodge HEMI vehicles running on it without a single issue.

My preference with the recommendation from @Burla is to still use Redline 5w30 as the oil of choice just for my own peace of mind.

View attachment 220491

Your mechanic retrieved the busted roller and needle bearings from your engine? I missed that if it was noted, however if not and doing a cam/lifter replacement isn't going to matter, your going to have some serious issues soon, probably what is causing your concerns what your having now?

I don't understand why your mechanic didn't retrieve the metal out of your HEMI ... at least could have dropped the oil pan and clean it out?

Maybe I missed something. Good luck.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@JHoward Yeah.. You did miss something.. LOL
The broken roller was on my previous truck. The pieces were removed and the mechanic did a thorough job in rebuilding the engine. We then started using Redline 5w30 for every oil change since - until the day I wrote the truck off by being an idiot.

I had my previous truck from new. The current truck I bought used. Looking at the history, the previous owner alternated in between 5w30 and 5w20 Mopar brand engine oil.

@Burla let me try that and see what happens. Does anyone know what is the difference in between Castrol Edge and Castrol Magnatec?

Last edited:
OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Burla What do you think about using Motul 300V 5W40 if Redline is not available? That was one of your recommendations when we had issues getting Redline some time ago.
motul-109518-huile-moteur-300v-power-5w40-5l.jpg
In addition.. It appears that Toyota brand oil has quite a bit of Moly as well. Perhaps that is the secret to their top rating in reliability. LOL

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I came across a thread suggesting that HPL was similar to Redline.
HPL.JPG

While doing some online reading about eliminating the tick, I came across this post.
HEMI tick finally cured.

The post talked about using adding "Seafoam" to the oil and driving a couple of miles for the tick to disappear. After that change the oil to something high performance.
Sounds like an idea.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I came across a thread suggesting that HPL was similar to Redline.
View attachment 509567

While doing some online reading about eliminating the tick, I came across this post.
HEMI tick finally cured.

The post talked about using adding "Seafoam" to the oil and driving a couple of miles for the tick to disappear. After that change the oil to something high performance.
Sounds like an idea.

I've read about HPL posted in the synthetic oil thread. A lot of folks are considering HPL to be the new HEMI honey or alternate for Red Line.

I might just give it a try on my HEMI'S next oci and see how it performs.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have no answers for all of those, we just dont have data. You may have to try a couple things see what sticks.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why don't you try PUP (Pennzoil Ultra Platinum) full synthetic W Lube Gard Biotech 15oz most places have this oil, and you can get the Lube Gard at Amazon, @Burla is much too busy dealing with all of the Hemi Problems.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why don't you try PUP (Pennzoil Ultra Platinum) full synthetic W Lube Gard Biotech 15oz most places have this oil, and you can get the Lube Gard at Amazon, @Burla is much too busy dealing with all of the Hemi Problems.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I don't like in the US. I live in the Middle East. Some of the stuff that you guys mention isn't readily available here. That can be remedied. Just have to order it online and wait a couple of weeks. Sometimes Amazon has what you need and you don't have to wait long. I just feel it would be better for me to find a solution that is easily available at a local dealer.

P.S. @Burla I do apologize if I disturbed you with the number of questions.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I was serious, we don't have the data for those oils. We have no group info on that, as in zero or perhaps one forgettable trial in the body of work here. It will be trial and error for you, go thick will maximize the likelihood of success. HPL would likely be the bets choice, but I kinda doubt you can get that there. Motul 300v might work but we have no examples here either way.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Burla... thanks for that. I have an update that happened just a few seconds ago. My mechanic located a dealer here in Dubai that has Redline 5W40. So that is good news.

The main plan right now is to find a good budget solution using stuff that is easy to obtain locally. There is a dealer for HPL here in the United Arab Emirates, that is why I brought it up. It would be easy to get if Redline is not available.

In my mind right now is to try the advice in the link I posted - about using the Seafoam And then change the oil after about 20 miles of driving. I was thinking of using Castrol Magnatec 10W40.
I was a bit of reading and it seems that one reason the tick appears, is on vehicles that do a lot of short 15 or 20 minute trips in traffic; where there is quite a bit of idling. That pretty much describes quite a lot of my daily driving and usage.
Reading online, it seems that Castrol Magnatec was developed for that usage case and so that is why I'm thinking of giving that a shot over Castrol EDGE. If that doesn't work, I will change it and put in Redline 5W40.

If this plan works, and the Castrol Magnatec 10W40 does assist in eliminating the tick, I continue using Castrol Magnatec and but slowly go down to a 5W40 and then to a 5W30 - adding seafoam before every alternate change.
But that is a big IF. I'm willing to be a guinea pig in this test.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You are putting sea foam where? Gas tank, oil, or vac line? Personally, I only would use that in vac lines as there are better choices for fuel tank, and in the oil it doesnt make a lot of sense other then an occasional flush. But, if the system's pcv is operating as it should, there is very little reason to use it in oil and many reasons not to. It is a solvent and will likely wipe off EP additives that plate. The only way it works is if it can clean some carbon that might be making some noise, but it offers to advantage to lowering the coefficient of friction. Maybe I am missing something, but I'd be careful with that strategy and dont be afraid to come off it quick if it doesnt work.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are putting sea foam where? Gas tank, oil, or vac line? Personally, I only would use that in vac lines as there are better choices for fuel tank, and in the oil it doesnt make a lot of sense other then an occasional flush. But, if the system's pcv is operating as it should, there is very little reason to use it in oil and many reasons not to. It is a solvent and will likely wipe off EP additives that plate. The only way it works is if it can clean some carbon that might be making some noise, but it offers to advantage to lowering the coefficient of friction. Maybe I am missing something, but I'd be careful with that strategy and dont be afraid to come off it quick if it doesnt work.
When I talk about Seafoam, I was talking about this stuff.. I was putting it in the oil.
B877801B-EFE7-4E55-9D00-75A2A5098D14.jpeg

I just tried it on the truck. The tick has quietened down a lot. According to the bottle of Seafoam, it should be driven a 100 - 300 miles and then the oil should be changed. I’m not going to wait that long before I change it.

I would run maybe another 50 miles and then change the oil out for the Castrol Magnatec 10W40
If the strategy works, great. Otherwise I’ll just put in Redline 5w40

In terms of an oil change, what is the average distance or duration I should wait before deciding to change the oil again? How long should I wait to give an oil a chance to do its thing..

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
That can of Seafoam best I could find is the same as the Red can of Seafoam, but I suspect that it contain fewer solvents or would hope so, also the solvents in it can Dry out gaskets and seals, IMHO that is another good reason not to use it in your oil..

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found a good You Tube video about using additives to oil to clean the engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thszl7visBU
Scotty makes some sense.. I don't know if what I did would be counted as an oil flush though.

As an update, after putting in the 8oz of seafoam, the tick hasn't complete vanished, but it is sounding so much more quieter.
The next course of action is to do an oil change with thicker oil. I'm leaning towards the Castrol Magnatec 10W40.
Some say that Magnatec is not a full synthetic and as a result will be really compared to the usual full synthetics that we use, but the description of what it is supposed to do and that it being designed for start stop functions makes me think that it is a good idea. It could be just marketing, but I'm willing to give it a shot. If this helps sort out the tick or eliminate it, I think we may have found our alternative to Redline.
I know that Redline also has a 10W40 and I think the dealer has it in stock here. Maybe I should go with that instead of the Castrol OR should I keep that as the 3rd choice in case Castrol doesn't work.

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Scotty makes some sense.. I don't know if what I did would be counted as an oil flush though.

As an update, after putting in the 8oz of seafoam, the tick hasn't complete vanished, but it is sounding so much more quieter.
The next course of action is to do an oil change with thicker oil. I'm leaning towards the Castrol Magnatec 10W40.
Some say that Magnatec is not a full synthetic and as a result will be really thick and the usual full synthetics that we use, but the description of what it is supposed to do and that it being designed for start stop functions makes me think that it is a good idea. It could be just marketing, but I'm willing to give it a shot. If this helps sort out the tick or eliminate it, I think we may have found our alternative to Redline.
I know that Redline also has a 10W40 and I think the dealer has it in stock here. Maybe I should go with that instead of the Castrol OR should I keep that as the 3rd choice in case Castrol doesn't work.
I think trying Castrol Magnatec 10W40 is a good choice, being it can also be used in diesel engines I would think it would hold up well in your Hemi...