Timing Chains and Sprockets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Newton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l

I need help. I downloaded a Haynes manual in stead of buying a paper one. I'm replacing the head gaskets. I removed the timing chain cover before lining the harmonic balancer to TDC because the online manual was a little confusing. It's also unclear whether I need to remove the oil pan or not but I plan to do that to be safe. I need advise on where to go now so I don't spend the next 72 hours trying to time my motor. Thanks in advance and for not harassing me over the mistake.

OP
OP
Sam Newton

Sam Newton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
I'm replacing the head gaskets on my truck. My manual that I downloaded was pretty vague about some stuff and jumped around a lot. I removed the timing cover on my 4.7L 04 Ram without lining up the TDC on the harmonic balancer. I'm unsure where to go from here because I have pretty much everything but the heads and oil pan removed. I'm unsure how to find the right position for the pistons now since I an't just put it back on and have the harmonic balancer re-align itself to where it was before I took it off. I really need help and not harassment at this point. I'm even willing to message my phone number or video hat with someone if it will help communicate faster. I have three days until I have to return to work after having skin cancer removed and this is my only vehicle. I'm scared I'm screwed. Somebody please tell me I'm not.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
TDC is #1 cylinder at the top of its stroke. This is the old school way of putting an engine at TDC with the heads on, pull the spark plug out of the head corresponding to #1 cylinder (drivers side front of the engine), next CAREFULLY insert a long screwdriver or rod and slowly rotate the crankshaft CW until the screwdriver is as far out as it can go. If the screwdriver starts to go back into the sparkplug hole, stop rotate it CCW until the screwdriver is again as far out as it will go. Your engine is now at TDC, now all you have to do is make sure your cams are at TDC. A word of warning, wrap the rod/screwdriver end that is going into the cylinder with tape to avoid scratching the piston or cylinder wall.