Tires: time for new ones

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diceuf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I need to replace my original Firestone Transforce on my 2013 2500 Cummins 4x4. I'm at 37k miles (yes, it hasn't been driven much). I live two miles down a gravel road and haul a horse trailer sometimes. We have mild winters, but the occasional snow and ice. What handles well in all conditions?

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
All-Season tires ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Tons of tire threads on the site. Grab a beer and hit that search feature up there and read away.... :)

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
As per DK. Mountain snowflake...technically called All Weather though, not All Seasons. An All Season doesn't have the snowflake symbol and is not rated for as severe conditions as All Weather. That being said, maybe All Seasons are sufficient for you if as you say, occasional snow and ice and mild winters, unlike where DK and I are from. Heavy snowfall, ice often in winter.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
+1

Michelin Defender LTX M/S

Doubt you will find a higher rated tire and they are not cheap either.
If there were any issues, people would be shouting about them , from the rooftops.

FWIW, My Son-in-Law works for Firestone, as a Mechanic.
I can get any Firestone tire, I want, at the Double Rabbi Discount.
I pay Sam's Club, practically twice the money, for the Michelin's.

Been running the same tire for almost 20+ years. They just renamed it.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Falken Wildpeak AT/3W have the snowflake and so far the best AT or all-season tire I have used. Great in the heavy rains.

My brother also has them on his Cummins 3500 and they have proven to be the best tire we have used elk hunting in the Oregon Cascades. Super gripping on the logging roads and on snow or ice.

They have great reviews and are cheaper than the others.

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Falken Wildpeak AT/3W have the snowflake and so far the best AT or all-season tire I have used. Great in the heavy rains.

My brother also has them on his Cummins 3500 and they have proven to be the best tire we have used elk hunting in the Oregon Cascades. Super gripping on the logging roads and on snow or ice.

They have great reviews and are cheaper than the others.

I just put these on my wife’s jeep GC. They look good and might consider them for my rebel. I live in the mountains of NEPA and they don’t take care of the roads. The snow symbol is one of the reasons I got them.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
The snow symbol is one of the reasons I got them.

That's exactly why I got them also. I go to Oregon every year elk hunting with my brothers. We have often encountered snow where Oregon requires chains or the snow symbol to proceed. The Ram 1500 cannot use chains so I began the snow symbol search and found the Falkens to be one of the best rated and priced right. The ratings have proven true over and over, very satisfied.

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That's exactly why I got them also. I go to Oregon every year elk hunting with my brothers. We have often encountered snow where Oregon requires chains or the snow symbol to proceed. The Ram 1500 cannot use chains so I began the snow symbol search and found the Falkens to be one of the best rated and priced right. The ratings have proven true over and over, very satisfied.

Why can’t rams use chains???

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
The brake parts are too close to the wheel. No room for chains of any type on the front. Your owner manual states no chains on the front. The rears have a bit more room and can accept the cable chains if they fit tight enough. I have a set of cable chains but they nearly touch the brake lines. I would only use them in an emergency. Would be afraid if they broke they would separate the brake line.

andyhollin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
It seems like an exaggeration to say the 1500 can't accept chains when it's really only true of the front. If you need chains on the front you probably shouldn't be driving.

Thorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
There are lots of good tires out there, so it kind of depends on your budget and expectations. an 80K mile tire will rot on the wheel before you drive the tread off of it at your current rate of use. That being said, my go to tire for trucks is the goodyear duratrac. but it's as expensive as the michelin LTX. Discount Tire has some tires made specifically for them that would meet your needs well and not break the bank. I'd suggest a trip over there and a look around

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
It seems like an exaggeration to say the 1500 can't accept chains when it's really only true of the front. If you need chains on the front you probably shouldn't be driving.

To make such rash statements you are obviously not familiar with chains and you've never been in a situation where chaining the front wheels is mandatory if you want to proceed in a straight line.

Here's a statement from a professional:
Vulcan Tire says (in caps): IT IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU APPLY TIRE CHAINS TO ALL FOUR WHEELS NO MATTER WHAT YOUR VEHICLE'S DRIVE CONFIGURATION TO OFFER THE BEST TRACTION AND MAINTAIN THE VEHICLE'S NORMAL HANDLING PROPERTIES.

And you are obviously not familiar with Ram 1500.
Here's from the manual:
Please follow the table below for proper tire size, chain type etc.
1500 Models Rear Only P265/70R17 S Class

Note that chains are ONLY okay for small tires on 17" rims. That's why I say the 1500 can't accept tire chains.

Now that you know, do you still think I'm exaggerating?

andyhollin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
...you've never been in a situation where chaining the front wheels is mandatory if you want to proceed in a straight line.

This is true. In the several hundred miles I've driven in the snow and during active storms I've always had 4x4 and Blizzaks. In my region they almost always shut down the roads before requiring 4x4's to use traction devices (CalTrans R3). I've seen it once in the last 8 winters.

Thank you for enlightening me on rim size and chain compatibility.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Got to say, if snow is your worry Blizzaks are great., used them on my Wife and daughters cars, for years, until thye learned to drive, well enough, i trusted them with Defenders, year round.

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We have the Defenders on my wife's Explorer. It's only front-wheel drive. Last Christmas, we were in the mountains and had a rapid snowfall of 24" in one day. We had recently replaced the factory Goodyears (which had horrid traction, even in dry conditions) with the Michelin Defenders. Granted, I grew up driving in snow and didn't push the limits of the vehicle... but, we had no issues getting through deep snow, and even packed snow. They work well off-road, unless you need serious off-road tires. Plus, they are dead quiet and smooth. Totally worth the money, IMO.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Anything with this symbol is best is ALL conditions

77f50326edd292315c7a99604b3ac147.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This is not true, this logo is on dedicated winter tires too, and using a true winter tire in warmer weather will wear it out fast. So that wouldn't be best for all conditions.

As per DK. Mountain snowflake...technically called All Weather though, not All Seasons. An All Season doesn't have the snowflake symbol and is not rated for as severe conditions as All Weather. That being said, maybe All Seasons are sufficient for you if as you say, occasional snow and ice and mild winters, unlike where DK and I are from. Heavy snowfall, ice often in winter.

the mountain snowflake is called Severe Service , not all weather.
Now saying that, all "all weather" carry the logo, but not all tires with that logo are "all weather", as I mentioned above regarding dedicated true winter tires.

Now to the OP, I would suggest the same as Buddy mentioned, a good set of all weather tires, not all season. my personal choice are Falken Wildpeak AT3W, inexpensive, long tread life, and truly are great in all weather
a few other examples are
bfg ko2
gy duratrac
kuhmo at51
hankook dynapro atm
pirelli scorpion at plus
general grabber at