towing 5th wheel with 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
If you get pulled over no matter what you say or tell them what you have done to the truck your overloaded! Ticket time. You will stick out like a sore thump. Your insurance won't be worth a dime is your involved in an accident. This would be a foolish thing to do, besides wrecking a truck that works pretty good as is.

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
He already said he has no money so.....go for it.....if something happens and he goes to court...he has nothing to lose......I just hope he stays in NH.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My point here is that, while yes, we all make fun of minivans, some of them can actually CARRY more weight than us (which makes sense - they are designed to carry 7-8 adults). They just can't pull that much weight.
I live in Hawaii part time but still maintain somewhat of a residence on the mainland (my truck and 5th wheel at a family member's that I live in). So, I had our 2008 Honda Odyssey shipped over here. It was mainly my wife's car as the kids were growing up but it's my daily driver now and I couldn't be happier. Honestly, it's the best overall vehicle I've ever owned. Visibility is great, easy to get in/out of, nice ride and just the right size to park and maneuver. It's amazing what I can haul in that things with all the seats down - 4X8 plywood, doors/windows, furniture, etc. The reliability is incredible also. 14 years and 120K miles and the only things it's ever needed are brakes and oil changes and a couple tail lightbulbs. Wish my truck was like this. 2014 at 120K I'm on my third transmission and it's currently sitting in the dealership getting the engine replaced due to some bearing failing (Max Care warranty thankfully!).

This thread made me curious and I just checked the payload on my minivan - 1322#. I guess with seating for 8 that makes sense. Yeah, I'm not going to pick up any women as a 50 year balding man driving a minivan but I suppose that's best in the long run :)

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
No matter what you do, as I understand it, is make that 1500 pull that trailer. That was the question. Lots of suggestions, to modify the truck, lots of good suggestions, I personally would not do any of these mods. It still may not be safe, and it will sure be illegal.
Not my kind of drive, wondering what happens with a hill, cross wind, sudden braking or a swerve maneuver, but each to his own.
The other day I had a bear run across the road, we were so close to hitting it, the bear "voided" ( pissed to be crude ) himself while sprinting across the road. I jammed on the brakes and swerved, at 65 mph, my 1995 Dodge handled it with no problem. You never know when you have to do a sudden lane change or maneuver..
Be safe.. ask someone to tow it, pay them, rent a truck to do it with the money you are going to spend, trade the truck for another one, there are options.

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I would suggest buying my 22 Silverado 2500. I will sell it to you for what I paid for it.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mentioned above, those tow dollies are conceptually interesting, but practically could be as much trouble as overloading a truck. Adding that dolly puts a 5th wheel pivot point about 8' back with now a second pivot point in-between. And overall length of a rig could be in semi territory. I can imagine people getting stuck in gas stations and tight campground roads. And for the added cost it might just be better to buy a 3500.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I didn't read all the posts for this article, so this may have been mentioned by another poster.
Check this out: https://fifthwheelst.com/automated-safety-hitch-system.html
Interesting item. I'd never seen that before.

The website definitely makes it seem like this is geared for the 3/4- ton diesel market (the Suburban pictured is on a 2500 chassis) to lower the payload to make use of the GVWR.

Even with this the OP would be well over GVWR.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mentioned above, those tow dollies are conceptually interesting, but practically could be as much trouble as overloading a truck. Adding that dolly puts a 5th wheel pivot point about 8' back with now a second pivot point in-between. And overall length of a rig could be in semi territory. I can imagine people getting stuck in gas stations and tight campground roads. And for the added cost it might just be better to buy a 3500.
I'd want to watch someone back that thing up to see how it works.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 79169 miles

smittyd174

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
All the replies I've read are correct , a 1500 will not safely or legally tow a 5th wheel that size . Even the new 2500 will be almost maxed out for payload . I have a Sierra 330 5th wheel with a pin weight of 2350 which puts it at the max for a 2500 . That's why I had a 3500 and it handled it with lots to spare .
People say use airbags , heavier tires better brakes and sure your truck will pull it , but can your truck control it , NO . You have a trailer controlling the truck and when you can't make a panic stop and crash , the insurance companies will walk away because you will be way over your GCW, axle weights and every other spec for that truck .

jimspencer741

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Truck is too small for a 5th wheel to be legal and safe while towing.

Just say you were in a car wreck, someone actually hit you and you know its their fault and they would pay for it. Well guess again, since you are over weight and not safe to begin with, you would be held responsible for it ALL. And insurance will not back you up since, again, you were over weight.

I've traveled full-time rving in over 27 states, cross country from west coast to east coast and went down east coast once for winter and back up to north east coast. I've done quite about of research on this.

Another thing, a cop can have you pull over to a truck weigh station to be weighed, so if your over which you are, you'll get a ticket and what towed? Impound?

Move on, get a bigger truck or ask someone for help with a bigger truck since its a short trip. Or hired a transporter.

OP
OP
O

oldguy2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A friend and I bought a 2017 2500 that had rolled over for $6500. He put up $3500 for the engine and trans and I put up the other $3000 for the complete chassis. I talked him into taking my engine and trans since they only had 24000 miles and that way I didn't have to mess with swapping engines. I sold my wheels and tires for $500, complete chassis with rear axle for $1500 and bed with t-gate, liner and cover for $2000. I bought materials for a flat bed for the 5th wheel hitch for about $500 and spent about another $500 for mis. parts. As you can see from what I bought and what I sold I broke even. To register the new truck I took the wrecked truck's title and my truck's title to the DMV and after having the VINs and the construction inspected I was issued a new VIN and a salvage title. The truck is legal and safe and I have what I needed with little or no expense. I didn't just "doctor up" my truck. Most of you said it wasn't possible to make it safe and legal but were wrong. Long live hot rodders.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
A lot of people go to
Stretch My Truck
&
Long Bed My Truck

Those businesses legally cut the trucks frame, so the vehicle can be used for more than it was designed for

1670309436401.png

1670309610186.png

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
A friend and I bought a 2017 2500 that had rolled over for $6500. He put up $3500 for the engine and trans and I put up the other $3000 for the complete chassis. I talked him into taking my engine and trans since they only had 24000 miles and that way I didn't have to mess with swapping engines. I sold my wheels and tires for $500, complete chassis with rear axle for $1500 and bed with t-gate, liner and cover for $2000. I bought materials for a flat bed for the 5th wheel hitch for about $500 and spent about another $500 for mis. parts. As you can see from what I bought and what I sold I broke even. To register the new truck I took the wrecked truck's title and my truck's title to the DMV and after having the VINs and the construction inspected I was issued a new VIN and a salvage title. The truck is legal and safe and I have what I needed with little or no expense. I didn't just "doctor up" my truck. Most of you said it wasn't possible to make it safe and legal but were wrong. Long live hot rodders.

So you've got a truck that will pull your fifth wheel, but CANNOT be fully insured - you can only get liability on it.

That doesn't sound safe. Legal, yes. Not safe. If and when the monstrosity you built comes apart or is involved in an accident, you will likely be on the hook for all damages.

I mean this is a dead horse. We weren't wrong when we told you that you couldn't make your 1500 safely and legally pull your fifth wheel.

You combined two vehicles to create a new one that I wouldn't hitch that big of a trailer up to, that you really can't sell to someone for any kind of value, and that if you're in an accident with won't be covered by insurance.

Seems to me like you purposefully chose the short straw here, because in the end you could have made different choices and been further ahead.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
He basically did what was recommended several times in prior posts - upgrade the chassis to a 2500 drivetrain. Kudo's for the work involved. he's much safer than trying to hook it up to the 1500.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
.... Most of you said it wasn't possible to make it safe and legal but were wrong...
What is the new truck "NAME" on your Title?
1500 pr 2500?

I do not care if your took your old body and slapped onto a 6000HP A/C Locomotive.
If its listed as a 1500, guess what every insurance company is going to go by?

You did not make your 1500 safe.
You turned a Crusher Bait 2500 Chassis into an actual truck that is Road Certified with a 1500 body on it.

Keep that VIN number of the 2500 chassis. Get all the info for that VIN you can, while you still can, Payload, Towing, etc.
Might need it, if your Insurance company fails to cover a Claim, when you take them to Court.

Ask for a Jury trial and try to get some Blue Collar guys on it.

Oh, BTW, what you did is not Hot Rodding.
Glad you saved a truck, from the Crusher, but if it says Salvage on the Title, it's Junking.

OP
OP
O

oldguy2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You guys are really a pain in the butt. How is the truck not safe? All that was changed was sheet metal. The complete chassis and drive train remained intact. The brakes. steering and suspension remain as they came from the factory. Nothing added. Nothing taken away. The truck is now registered as a 2500. I feel sorry for you guys that are so narrow minded. Hey gofishn the way you see things all people that build street rods or restomods are "Junkers". I would be careful where you say that.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
So you've got a truck that will pull your fifth wheel, but CANNOT be fully insured - you can only get liability on it.

That doesn't sound safe. Legal, yes. Not safe. If and when the monstrosity you built comes apart or is involved in an accident, you will likely be on the hook for all damages.

I mean this is a dead horse. We weren't wrong when we told you that you couldn't make your 1500 safely and legally pull your fifth wheel.

You combined two vehicles to create a new one that I wouldn't hitch that big of a trailer up to, that you really can't sell to someone for any kind of value, and that if you're in an accident with won't be covered by insurance.

Seems to me like you purposefully chose the short straw here, because in the end you could have made different choices and been further ahead.
Bull, he's got truck that can do what he wanted and needed to do.
So what if it only has liability insurance on it. Since when did having comp and collision become a damned requirement.
Why in the he!! would it come apart.

OP
OP
O

oldguy2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you LouM! I worked for a company for a short time that did almost nothing but rebuild vehicles that had been totaled by insurance companies. All totaled means is that it would cost the insurance company more money to fix the vehicle than it is worth. My first car was totaled when it got lightly hit in the rear and needed 2 tail lights and a trunk lid. My friends Bonneville was repaired even though a very large tree fell on it lengthwise during an ice storm. The entire roof down to the body and all the glass had to be replaced plus major water damage to the interior had to be repaired. It wasn't totaled because even though it cost a huge amount to fix it did not exceed the value of the car. Which car would be less safe after repair? You are also wrong about insurance. Maybe some companies won't cover repaired vehicles but not all. My sister in law has been driving a repaired salvage for several years now with full coverage. I don't know why some of you are so upset about this.