Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brownie289

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That truck should haul that trailer no problem. Like others have said you need to get it dialed in. I have a 1500 and hauled a larger heavier trailer.

OP
OP
Jukebox64

Jukebox64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m a bit confused guys, this is a hitch I have and I do not see how it can be hooked up any other way. So I really do not understand how I could dial it in to my truck? I am very new to pulling an RV or anything of this magnitude.

EEFB6811-4E55-4B6A-9D2A-75B6D4F4F57C.jpeg

BruceMorgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

try watching this video for help

OP you need to adjust your WDH to work with your particular truck, per that video. That's what people mean by "dial in" your WDH. The best way to do that is with measuring your truck's squat with a ruler, and using a CAT scale at a truck stop. Search for threads on that; there are plenty.

Ram 1500s tend to squat a bit with load because of the coil spring suspension. They will squat too much (and 3" is too much) if the tongue weight is too high and/or the WDH is not adjusted properly. A lot of people think you can "fix" excessive squat with airbags, but you're just treating a symptom (squat) without fixing the problem. See this video for more details. This thread also shows weighing and measuring, which you can do at a CAT scale easily enough.

OP
OP
Jukebox64

Jukebox64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you guys this helps considerably. Now I know how to and what it means to dial in my weight distribution hitch. Mine is somewhat different but I get the jest and believe I can do this now. Once again thanks for all the info since I am very new to pulling an RV and using a weight distribution hitch I needed this information.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Thank you guys this helps considerably. Now I know how to and what it means to dial in my weight distribution hitch. Mine is somewhat different but I get the jest and believe I can do this now. Once again thanks for all the info since I am very new to pulling an RV and using a weight distribution hitch I needed this information.
A little more information on dialing your WDH from a towing guru with these Ram 1500 trucks. VernDiesel has over 500K now on his '14 that he tows TTs for a living.
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/looking-at-the-numbers.123099/

sequoia464

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have to agree with the suggestion on the Tufftruck 1211 springs. Very happy with mine.

RAM DRVR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Same type of question with ZERO help from local dealer or dodge corporate.

2017, crew cab, 5.7 hemi with 3.9.2. trans with tow package. 17,500 miles on truck Truck is rated to tow 10K lbs.

I spoke to the dodge ram product "experts" at a show I attended regarding pulling a trailer.
They assured me the 1500 would be able to pull a 7,000 lbs. GVWR trailer with no issues at all.

I purchased a 2018, 7' x 16' dual axle trailer with a trailer weight of 3500 lbs and a total GVWR of 7,000 lbs.

I also purchased an adjustable hitch that also measures tongue weight. (https://www.weigh-safe.com/) to ensure I was within the 10% -15% of trailer weight.

Now my question.
With very little inside the trailer and 11% on the tongue, my truck sags 3". Yes, 3 inches to the rear.

Folks, Dodge corporate refuses to address my questions. The "experts" indicated no worries, the local dealer says don't worry about the sagging, just buy our air bags.
I am wondering who the hell knows the truth. More importantly, I am looking for advice on a correct fix before I go on a long trip with this truck and trailer.

I have a 7x16 enclosed trailer, loaded it full to the top (~7,000lbs total, 700-800lbs tongue weight) and towed it from Oregon to South Carolina. I have air bags (45psi) and it worked very well. Your WDH and/or bags would solve your issue.

RAM and trailer3.jpg

Last edited:

Arctic RJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup. Weight distribution hitch and 1000 lb Air Ride air bags for the rear. My last 3 trucks have been Ram 1500’s and this is a simple fix every time. Smooth ride is maintained when empty but towing capability is also there. Towing to max weight is never a good idea. Up to 75% of max is a good rule of thumb.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same type of question with ZERO help from local dealer or dodge corporate.

2017, crew cab, 5.7 hemi with 3.9.2. trans with tow package. 17,500 miles on truck Truck is rated to tow 10K lbs.

I spoke to the dodge ram product "experts" at a show I attended regarding pulling a trailer.
They assured me the 1500 would be able to pull a 7,000 lbs. GVWR trailer with no issues at all.

I purchased a 2018, 7' x 16' dual axle trailer with a trailer weight of 3500 lbs and a total GVWR of 7,000 lbs.

I also purchased an adjustable hitch that also measures tongue weight. (https://www.weigh-safe.com/) to ensure I was within the 10% -15% of trailer weight.

Now my question.
With very little inside the trailer and 11% on the tongue, my truck sags 3". Yes, 3 inches to the rear.

Folks, Dodge corporate refuses to address my questions. The "experts" indicated no worries, the local dealer says don't worry about the sagging, just buy our air bags.
I am wondering who the hell knows the truth. More importantly, I am looking for advice on a correct fix before I go on a long trip with this truck and trailer.
Did you actually get the trailer weighed? My friend just ran into a similar problem on his F-150, sagging. Trailer specs said it was within tongue specs, but when he had it weighed it did NOT !!!!! Check to see what your dealing with really before doing anything !!!

davie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2017 1500 with same engine. I pull an 18 footer with no problem at all. I invested in an "equalizer" hitch which distributes the weight evenly.

Walt2137

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The rear sags mostly because our coil springs on the rear that give us the superior ride the answer for the sag is as has ben posted a weight distribution hitch.
I have towed a dual axle dump trailer loaded with chicken manure wet as much as i could get on the trailer apr 20 miles one way weight estimate at +10,000 with 3.21 axle in hilly country more than once and the truck handled it with no problem but i think i will start to locking 8th gear out next time.
I went from a 2013 CC f150 with a 5.0 with a 6 speed trans to the Ram 5.7 and the Ram did handle better and smother as the Ford would viberate over 50 mph pretty bad and ford would never address the problem that was probaly caused by the rear springs torque more than the drive shaft could stand on most of the 11 to the 14 F150 .

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I have a weight distribution hitch. Supposedly the trailer weights 5300lbs but the title say3000.
I’ve searched everywhere for the true weight, but still not sure.
I was under the impression that my truck could tow up to 8400lbs.

Is your trailer a 2008 Forest River Sandstorm 24SKSPL?

17crewram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I Pull a 30' Keystone Passport with a 7500lbs gvw. I use an equalizer WDH and the truck only sags 1". Since I also pulled it with my '08, it took a few dry runs to get it dialed in. Don't go by the brochures. Use the sticker on the door as a starting point. Then have it weighed. I see no reason for air bags personally. If you need them, my opinion is you need a larger truck.