Truck completely dead ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

acolic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi

A week ago while at a friend place it refused to start. When I turned the key the truck was almost completely dead no electrical power. Besides the auto door locks working turning the key did nothing.

So I towed it home charged and tested the battery, fine, and it still wouldn’t start.

So it sat for a few days and I changed the starter and voila it worked.

Today we are back at square one. This time absolutely zero electrical power when turning the key. Nothing works. Took the battery to a mechanic who bench tested it and it’s fine.

I am going to recheck the ground but any other simple suggestions?

Thanks

Alexa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sounds like your ignition switch.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I gonna be known as the "Fuse Guy". I came home from work all fat dumb and happy. In the morning when I went to start it up it would unlock the door, radio would play everything normal but start. Then got braking errors. I have had issues with the radio not coming on a couple of times, steering wheel buttons intermittent, just some weird stuff. I took a voltmeter to the fuses to check them out and noticed that all the fuses were not seated properly. I pushed them all down and sure as snot, it started. Have not had any of the weird stuff either.

I didn't catch them sticking up at first by looking at them, this is while in the process of pushing them down.
full

If you check them and see some sticking up, give me a mention or quote and let me know.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Did you fix this? While it could have been a bad starter originally and then your new starter went, it sounds more like a cable and you might have moved it when replacing starter. But, I had a battery that tested good but I would have times with no activity when trying to start. Turned out being a bad plate in the battery that would sometimes move just enough for whatever reason and prevent the truck from starting. You could try replacing that also after taking main wires off and giving them a good cleaning and reinstalling. Good luck.

OP
OP
A

acolic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nope.

Changed the ignition switch and that did not help.

So battery, starter, fuses and ignition switch look good. Ground from the top looks good I will have a look below tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Those damn vibrating diesels will loosen fuses and teeth.
:)

I gonna be known as the "Fuse Guy". I came home from work all fat dumb and happy. In the morning when I went to start it up it would unlock the door, radio would play everything normal but start. Then got braking errors. I have had issues with the radio not coming on a couple of times, steering wheel buttons intermittent, just some weird stuff. I took a voltmeter to the fuses to check them out and noticed that all the fuses were not seated properly. I pushed them all down and sure as snot, it started. Have not had any of the weird stuff either.

I didn't catch them sticking up at first by looking at them, this is while in the process of pushing them down.
full

If you check them and see some sticking up, give me a mention or quote and let me know.

OP
OP
A

acolic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK so I took it to mechanic who got it running.

He says the issue was the battery terminal connections were loose.

Yes they were loose because I took the battery out to get load tested and then when I put the battery back into the truck I left things loose since it was going into the shop.

And the connections were tight the first time to try to fail.

So I doubt this is the real fix but I will keep you updated.