True Dual exhaust/ possible X pipe or H pipe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WamBam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone here with a 5.7 done a true dual setup on their ram? I currently have the factory dual setup with no muffler and the resonators still in place but was considering do true dual with an x pipe or h pipe and taking the resonators off but I don't want to lose low end torque. Does an H pipe have better benefits for lower RPM range or rather an x pipe? let me know please!

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I used a x pipe no low end loss. Those that claim a loss are the ones that think bigger is always better. If you stick with stock size pipe you are good if your mostly stock. If you full bolt on stock size in this set up will still be more than enough but bumping to 3" would benefit. Exhaust is all about proper sizing and keepi g the highest velocity as possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Fyi it is LOUD especially if you tow heavy lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Agree with all of the above. I have true dual exhaust, x-pipe, catless 1 7/8" ARH headers and with 20" mufflers and no resonator it's LOUD.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Has anyone here with a 5.7 done a true dual setup on their ram? I currently have the factory dual setup with no muffler and the resonators still in place but was considering do true dual with an x pipe or h pipe and taking the resonators off but I don't want to lose low end torque. Does an H pipe have better benefits for lower RPM range or rather an x pipe? let me know please!

Sounds like you still have the stock exhaust manifolds on yet,if you do,you're just wasting your money putting any kind of dual set-up on it.It won't go any faster or get any better milege,as the cast iron manifolds and factory Y pipe are the biggest choke points on a Hemi. Even with headers you're not going to gain much in the way of power with a true dual set-up.Once you get to full bolt-ons with a fairly big cam,even then you're not going to notice much in the way of a power increase from true duals. Save the money it'd cost you to put a mandrel bent true dual set-up on for a set of long tube headers and a good midpipe. Most exhaust shops aren't set-up to do mandrel bends,so there's a good chance to get a decent set-up,you'll have to buy a bunch of mandrel bends for them to build you a good set-up out of stainless steel.Stay away from any shop who tells you crush bends and aluminiumized pipe are good,they aren't,the pipe will rust out in a couple years,and crush bends restrict the exhaust flow

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sounds like you still have the stock exhaust manifolds on yet,if you do,you're just wasting your money putting any kind of dual set-up on it.It won't go any faster or get any better milege,as the cast iron manifolds and factory Y pipe are the biggest choke points on a Hemi. Even with headers you're not going to gain much in the way of power with a true dual set-up.Once you get to full bolt-ons with a fairly big cam,even then you're not going to notice much in the way of a power increase from true duals. Save the money it'd cost you to put a mandrel bent true dual set-up on for a set of long tube headers and a good midpipe. Most exhaust shops aren't set-up to do mandrel bends,so there's a good chance to get a decent set-up,you'll have to buy a bunch of mandrel bends for them to build you a good set-up out of stainless steel.Stay away from any shop who tells you crush bends and aluminiumized pipe are good,they aren't,the pipe will rust out in a couple years,and crush bends restrict the exhaust flow
I agree with this I wouldnt do this it as a "performance mod" especially not as a first however if you want it for sound imo it's worth the money depending on how cheap your shops are. I have less than 200 in parts and labor in mine and sounds amazing. O and mileage does change it drops significantly once you can actually hear the hemi at least until you get used to it [emoji1787]

OP
OP
WamBam

WamBam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
haha yeah this is more of a sound gain here, I would love to do long tube headers but for the headers and a tune it just adds up

OP
OP
WamBam

WamBam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
at one point one of the welds on the exhaust underneath the cab disconnected and the exhaust was dumping under the cab rather than through the resonators and out the back and when it was just dumped I lost an absurd amount of low end torque which is my only worry getting rid of the resonators and doing true dual. I just dont want to spend money on a setup like that and then have it drive like a ****.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
at one point one of the welds on the exhaust underneath the cab disconnected and the exhaust was dumping under the cab rather than through the resonators and out the back and when it was just dumped I lost an absurd amount of low end torque which is my only worry getting rid of the resonators and doing true dual. I just dont want to spend money on a setup like that and then have it drive like a ****.
An exhaust leak is different than doing an exhaust you lose velocity with a leak. Hints losing power.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
thats more what I was curious about, I would like to find out if doing an H pipe would have more torque rather than high end gains.

Get a shop to re-do your midpipe in mandrel bends and run the stock system behind it,as a decent Y pipe into a 3" pipe to a single in/dual out aftermarket Magnaflow or some other straight through design muffler will keep your bottem end torque and flows more then enough for a stock 5.7,avoid chamber'd mufflers. A lot of guys don't realize a Y merge into a 3" single pipe will flow more then enough to keep even a bolt-on engine happy,as a Y merge creates good scavenging from both cylinder banks

bran101010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 R/T
You can buy welding stuff and all the materials you need to do it yourself. That is what I did. 2.5 pipe, a welder from home depot, and watching some videos on how to do it. Dual from cats to an H-pipe I made, and then dumped with a X-pipe as a muffler right before the rear axle. I got the X-pipe as a muffler from someone else on here. It is the sound that took me 8 years and 6 mufflers to find, but without the x-pipe it is more quite than the stock with a flow-master 10 muffler or mufflers. It cost me about 500$ total.

Last edited:

Magnaflow

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
X pipes will give you more of the exhaust scavenging effect that improves power. You typically do not see the same gains with an H. Each has a slightly different sound. For what its worth, we tend to use X's on almost all of our cat back exhaust kits.