Unhappy with 1500 towing. Need Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IvoryHemi

Reaction score
That's not been my experience at all. And to be honest in terms of braking I feel very little effect of the trailer since the trailer should be stopping its own weight.

Trailer brakes aren’t active <15 mph with the OEM brake controller

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

You're really grasping at straws here. Remember the context of this discussion, towing at highway speeds. And if we're not talking highway speeds anymore, my truck has zero issues stopping my 7000 pounds, and A) you're probably not able to pull much more than 8000 pounds due to payload even with 3.92 and B) at that point just do it right and get a 2500 which is the reason they exist.

I'll have to double check my trailer next time I tow as I never felt the brakes cutting out at low speeds. Not saying you're wrong in this aspect, it's just a nothing burger as I never even noticed that on my truck to date.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
I've read about this being an issue for people; not a very good "feature" and Ram doesn't seem to think it's an issue. The manual slider to apply the brakes still works, I use it every time I hook up my 5w for a tug-test.
I have noticed some "surges" in the past that this would explain, but I didn't attribute it to this as I didn't know it was an issue at the time.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You guys talking about the gear ratio .... it's frustrating to see that come up because it has no effect. It just means he is in 5th instead of 6th but the power and rpms are the same at those 2 points in otherwise identical trucks.

@392DevilDog you are probably correct about revving the hemi high, but on the other hand very few have the stomach to do that. For a start it's very loud, very exhausting, and uses a metric ton of fuel.

IMHO if I can't tow my trailer at < 2500 on straight level ground with a small/moderate headwind, then my truck isn't big enough.

Below is a comparison video just released yesterday. It compares a hemi vs Ford Hybrid vs Toyota vs GM 3.0 diesel. I think the outcome of that video is so obvious; the hemi is "screaming away", the two turbos are cruising at 2300 or less and the diesel takes the crown. It's why I want that diesel so bad.

OP, my suggestion, try a diesel (either the GM or the Ram's ED, but keep payload in mind!!) if you end up ditching your truck for something else. I tow with a 3.21 and sit in 6th at 2300 RPMs, which is comfortable for me, but I probably wouldn't be happy sitting at 3000 forever:
After reviewing the video, a couple of comments:

First, I think the Rebel was disadvantaged due to its heavier, oversize tires, which probably impacted the fuel consumption test quite a bit.

I also noticed that during the test the rear seats were in the upright position. I have tested this myself with a Db meter and the rear seats in the down position help damper the sound coming through the rear cab vents. I'm not sure, but I believe on top of that the Rebel comes with different (presumably louder) mufflers.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 066221 miles.

evolizzee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone tried to see what the addition of power does to help with towing? I know gearing is more effective, but what about tuning and engine mods? I’m at about 50 or more hp/tq over stock. Surely, that bump in power, in a 1500, will make towing a TT , not so much a disappointment.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
After reviewing the video, a couple of comments:

First, I think the Rebel was disadvantaged due to its heavier, oversize tires, which probably impacted the fuel consumption test quite a bit.

I also noticed that during the test the rear seats were in the upright position. I have tested this myself with a Db meter and the rear seats in the down position help damper the sound coming through the rear cab vents. I'm not sure, but I believe on top of that the Rebel comes with different (presumably louder) mufflers.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 066221 miles.

That was a Rebel GT so I believe it comes with the louder exhaust yes. But I was just pointing out the high revving nature of the hemi, like all N/A engines it's going to scream when making power and that is probably disconcerting to most people who are new to towing.

I'm certainly not going to pull a devildog and park my truck in 3rd gear/4000+ rpms for hours on end. Going up a grade for a few minutes is one thing, sustained towing - not a chance.

OP
OP
Bricknhank

Bricknhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Crew Cab,
IMO:

Ford

Pro: best gas powertrain combo with 7.3L V8, 10-speed auto/4.30 axle and 34 gallon tank.

Con: hard plastic interior materials everywhere, rough ride

GM

Pro: independent front suspension gives decent ride, 36 gallon tank

Con: old 6-speed automatic with the 6.6L gasser and only 3.73 axle, average interior quality

Ram

Pro: coil or air suspension, best interior quality, ZF trans, 4.10 axle

Con: 31 gallon tank, smallest interior space with old 4th Gen cab
So, after spending many hours both surfing the web and visiting the dealerships I’m in concurrence with IvoryHemi’s assessment on the pros and cons. So far the F-250 seems to offer the most truck for the money. I’ve already posted that I don’t want to go diesel. The Ford offers the 7.3 with the 10 speed but 3:55 gears or 4:30. If I wanted the 3:73 I would have to go with the 6.2 and the 6 speed or an F-350. 4:30 is way too steep of a gear for me. That’s for really heavy duty stuff or drag racing in my opinion. One of the “cons” for me is that the Ford is about 18” longer. That’s big enough for for non trailer-pulling parking problems including in the garage. I’ve got a decent sized garage but my vehicles have to share it with a lot of my woodworking machines, one of my many hobbies. And, the Ford is pretty damned tall with about 1-1/2” to spare height wise. Comparably equipped the Ford seems to be priced the best, at least the way I have been building them online. I do like the F-250 towing mirrors. Power retractable, telescopic and heated. No need to flip them 90 degrees like the Ram mirrors I’ve been looking at. No doubt many here will be touting the Ram 2500 and I really like the 8 speed transmission/gearing combinations but as I mentioned before I am having difficulty getting past the fact that it’s made in Mexico. I know that no matter where it’s assembled it could have foreign parts from various countries and ultimately Ram/FCA is in charge of quality control but I just like to see vehicles assembled here by American workers.
Nothing is going to happen real fast because there’s not much out there to purchase unless I get lucky so once the weather breaks I’ll still be using my lovely Longhorn but staying within the flatlands. Thanx
Hank

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The GM interior is not "poor quality". In fact it's probably the other way around, due to use of harder materials it will probably last longer than the Ram. It's very functional and very durable, it just looks plain and simple. If you can ignore the looks, it will last long and serve you well.

It has probably the best towing electronics at this point, it's camera system is really well advanced.

I'd also trust the new 6.6 over the Hemi 6.4, I'm not sure I ever want another hemi again.

It does have the worst transmission, definite con, but I haven't towed with it so its hard to say just how noticable those 2 gears are compared to the Ram.

The only Ford I'd get is the 7.3, can't stand the looks of the exterior. Apparently that 7.3 is something else when it comes to pulling but you also do appear to pay at the pump.

The absolute last thing I'd ever care about is where its assembled. Buy what works for you, all kinds of Americans are benefiting from any truck purchase you make, whether or not they do the final assembly.

Last edited:

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
the gm 6.6 HD trucks are an ok option and I know people that own em but the weak link is the 6 speed tranny. I've had one and they just dont ever seem to be in the right gear unlike the 8 speed tranny in my ram. it is night and day better. there do seem to be a few more chevys on the lots to pick from right now tho.

Last edited:

slbenz600

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L
So then tell us…. If what you say is so true then why is it the 3.21-geared trucks have a lower trailer tow rating than the trucks equipped with the 3.92 gears? Why is it the general consensus of the people that tow with the lower gears have a lot more of a pleasant towing experience than the people who tow with the trucks that have a higher rear-end gears? Hell even the OP in this very discussion created a thread about this very thing that I’m talking about… LOL.

Take any kind of oval track racing as an example; explain to me why race car drivers try to get their gear ratio exactly right so that depending on how big the track is, their rear end gear is not too high or too low? Everybody knows that the lower the gears the more acceleration you’re going yet but the higher gear you have, the more top end but there’s also a balance of having all of that just right so that it’s not too low or too high. Same thing for people who go rock crawling; they generally tend to go with a lower gear set so they can get more gear reduction. Just like how if you put oversize tires on your truck that there’s plenty of resources out there online that will tell you which lower gear to put in there to bring your gear ratio back up to where it was at.

Look, if you want to be such an advocate about the higher gears in these trucks, by all means, go right ahead but there’s a reason why the trucks that have the higher gears in them really weren’t made for towing and why the ones that were, have to lower gears and yes, the eight speed transmission allows for a lot of things to happen with that really high of rear end gears but it doesn’t take away the fact that the 3.92 is better for towing but I’m sure you’re gonna argue this relentlessly so go right ahead. We know what we’re talking about. I’m not even gonna comment about that nonsense you talked about with riding a bike… LOL. I
What are you trying to accomplish with gears, if your trying to create power/milage ?

dwade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
How did you like Hocking Hills? We drove through it a couple weeks ago, but didn't camp. We just bought a TT last weekend and are looking for good spots around OH for weekend trips.

To the original topic of this thread, the TT pulled pretty nice. I ran steady at 65 on the highway in 6 or 7th gear. Ran around 2600-2700 rpm unless it was a long hill or high head winds. Watching the oil and trans temps, they did not run out of line with regular driving. I do have the 3.92 rear end. The trailer is 22' 9" and 4500 lbs dry, probably was around 4800-5000 getting it home. All in all, I feel like the trailer and truck match up pretty well for what I am looking for. I figure I can run about 1000 lbs cargo in the trailer and be within payload on the truck. Plan to put it on some scales as soon as we get it packed up for a proper weekend trip and see where we are.
Hocking Hills was awesome and it wore the wife out walking up n down the trails but she did tell me that we would go back and hit some of the other areas (not connected to each other). It was beautiful.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What are you trying to accomplish with gears, if your trying to create power/milage ?
I wouldn’t necessarily be trying to “create” power or mileage, I would be aiming to put less strain on my drivetrain. Sure, I could possibly get a little bit better mileage because my engine wouldn’t be having to work as hard with the lower geared rear end but since the eight speed transmission I guess makes up for that without more strain on it by it being in a lower gear to compensate so I guess really the only thing I would be aiming for is having a little bit more torque to get up to speed, pass another vehicle easier if need be, pulling hills better and better engine braking.

doc 11 ACR

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What you have is what you have. Don't sweat the small stuff. Your truck will do what you ask of it just don't try to "keep up" with trafic. Keep your speeds down to the 55 to 60 MPH range and you will be fine. Remember that trailer tires from the factory are only rated foe 55 MPH, 60 for short distances. More speed equals more heat and it is heat that kills tires, and speed kills retirement. Enjoy the ride and your retirement. Happy camping!

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The 2500 6.4 WILL pull much better. Much better torque. I have towed 9000lbs with both and no comparison. Yes it will still rev on hills but not nearly as hard

Concur. I've owned both engines, 5.7 Hemi in a 1500 Quad Cab, and my current 6.4 Hemi in a 2500 Crew Cab. Despite the much higher truck weight, it pulls much better. Must be a lower torque curve or some such.

GGlaser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All I know is that if you're going to tow and rev your Hemi that hard I'd be making sure to run full synthetic oil in it. That's a lot of stress on an engine.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
@Bricknhank

Well, good luck with your decision if you are moving up to a bigger truck.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Don’t tow in overdrive gears, my truck pulled 7k easy locked in 6th gear, 7th and 8th are of gears.