Well heck....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If their insurance pays out to fix it, it is going to show up on the carfax I am guessing. So diminished value settlement as well?

Sucks that happened to your brand new truck! Who backs up in a drive thru??

Carfax generally only works off of DMV records. At least that's the root of their whole, "Trillion Dollar Guarantee." The fine print says if they miss a "discoverable" event they'll pay up. They define "discoverable" as public record which pretty much means DMV.

I'm not sure how other states work but here in Oregon you only need to report if it's more than a couple thousand dollars of damage so OP's situation wouldn't qualify. Some insurance companies may also report but I don't believe there is a requirement.

About 10 years ago my (at the time) business partner got drunk and drove his new-ish truck into a tree. Single vehicle accident. Somehow drove it home and called the insurance company the next day. Had it towed in and repaired to the tune of $15,000. Not a whiff of the event on Carfax.... kind of made me lose faith in the whole thing. Farmer's was our insurance at the time and they said it's not, "their policy" to report to DMV or Carfax.

I think Carfax and similar outfits have some value to learn about a used vehicle but I would NEVER use it as assurance that the vehicle has never had things happen.

Batt4Christ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Sitting in the drive through and I got backed into... not even 200 miles on the clock. Doesn’t look like much but the other car looks like someone took a 10# maul to it.

View attachment 203826

Insurance claim has been filed with their insurance. The adjuster will be reviewing the pics I sent and issuing an initial estimate.

I’ll be taking it to the dealer to repair as it’s not even a week old. New parts will be used.

Damnit....

Went through that with a new Ram back in 2014. Less than 1000 miles and a woman backs out of a parking spot and did the exact same thing. Truly irritating, but at least it wasn’t your fault. She was in a minivan and it caved in her back plastic bumper. She said she didn’t see my shiny, white truck behind her... not surprised when she dint even look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Got ya beat, day and a half old, old senile bitty did the same thing. When we advanced she went into park, the to move she didn't make it into drive and thought that R is for Race. I was about 6 feet behind, didn't do any good. Broke off the tag holder with the temp tag. And she decided to act like nothing happened by keep advancing to to pay window. She was def surprised when I got in front of her car as I called for a police report. (BTW did I mention that WY is an open carry state :biggun:)

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It’s a truck, I would’ve taken 100 cash and called it even.
Are you even the least bit serious? Sure it's a truck. A brand new truck. $100 wouldn't even cover a new bumper, let alone any labor involved. I'm not surprised that this will end up costing $1700 to fix.

Carfax generally only works off of DMV records. At least that's the root of their whole, "Trillion Dollar Guarantee." The fine print says if they miss a "discoverable" event they'll pay up. They define "discoverable" as public record which pretty much means DMV.

I'm not sure how other states work but here in Oregon you only need to report if it's more than a couple thousand dollars of damage so OP's situation wouldn't qualify. Some insurance companies may also report but I don't believe there is a requirement.

About 10 years ago my (at the time) business partner got drunk and drove his new-ish truck into a tree. Single vehicle accident. Somehow drove it home and called the insurance company the next day. Had it towed in and repaired to the tune of $15,000. Not a whiff of the event on Carfax.... kind of made me lose faith in the whole thing. Farmer's was our insurance at the time and they said it's not, "their policy" to report to DMV or Carfax.

I think Carfax and similar outfits have some value to learn about a used vehicle but I would NEVER use it as assurance that the vehicle has never had things happen.
I appreciate the information. I was under the impression that repair shops provided the information to Carfax and the like.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Strangely enough it almost happened to me this morning. I pulled in to the drive-thru and the person ordering ahead already had the reverse lights on but was stopped. I stayed like 8 feet behind and sure enough once they were done ordering they moved backwards almost a foot by the time they realised it was in R and made the tedious shift to drive.

That has happened to me many times. Whenever I see the the back up lights come on I put my hand on the horn. They get a long blast on the horn the moment they move. Then a second one after they stop for stupidity ughhh

Lionfish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I was, and was about 15’ behind them to the right. Clearly visible. I called my insurance to let them know what happened and they’ll help with the claim should it be anything substantial.

I never liked calling the cops for an accident, then a woman driving a Nissan ass ended me in my new Porche Cayanne S, decided it best to call the cops. It was rush hour, we waited and waited. Decided to swap insurance information which we did when the officer shows up. The state police called a few months later, Turns out, her and her husband both drove the same type of Nissan, his was insured, hers was not. Fortunately, my insurance company paid me and then went and got their money.

Now, I will always call the police, it still doesn't always feel right, but I think it best to cover your butt.

Mudders Beast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had people hit vehicles on drive home from dealer and at 500 miles. Not good. Insisted on Diminished Value payment in addition to new parts.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Are you even the least bit serious? Sure it's a truck. A brand new truck. $100 wouldn't even cover a new bumper, let alone any labor involved. I'm not surprised that this will end up costing $1700 to fix.

Not everyone is a concrete cowboy :fishing1:

RAM08110719

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L V8 E85
Sandyvino. That does suck. I do like that Ram stays with these heavy duty metal bumpers. You said the other guy was messed up bad. Love the front end style of your new ram. At a time when trucks are moving away from to much metal. I have had my 08 for a while. I know I will be staying with ram. I'm a ram lifer now. I was till just recent GM only. Had to get this ram. Glad I did. The bumpers are what will keep me. Of course the inside is great. Not needing to slam the door. That one I love. Quality. Not used to it being so high. Only issue I have is clogged oil lifters. Got the stuff to fix. Besides that. This truck is mint. Again sorry about your accident. Hope nothing but the best happens.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Sandyvino. That does suck. I do like that Ram stays with these heavy duty metal bumpers. You said the other guy was messed up bad. Love the front end style of your new ram. At a time when trucks are moving away from to much metal. I have had my 08 for a while. I know I will be staying with ram. I'm a ram lifer now. I was till just recent GM only. Had to get this ram. Glad I did. The bumpers are what will keep me. Of course the inside is great. Not needing to slam the door. That one I love. Quality. Not used to it being so high. Only issue I have is clogged oil lifters. Got the stuff to fix. Besides that. This truck is mint. Again sorry about your accident. Hope nothing but the best happens.

For many years the dodge bodies were junk. They started building them well around 2001.

RAM08110719

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L V8 E85
I never liked calling the cops for an accident, then a woman driving a Nissan ass ended me in my new Porche Cayanne S, decided it best to call the cops. It was rush hour, we waited and waited. Decided to swap insurance information which we did when the officer shows up. The state police called a few months later, Turns out, her and her husband both drove the same type of Nissan, his was insured, hers was not. Fortunately, my insurance company paid me and then went and got their money.

Now, I will always call the police, it still doesn't always feel right, but I think it best to cover your butt.
CYA a rule to live by. We pay so much to insure these beasts. We need them fixed right to make the coverage at least a bit stomachable.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry to hear it.... I got a little further down the road before my 1st fender bender. It was the other person's fault as I was parked, but I still had to pay the full bill, i.e. deductible for both cars and the damages for both went against my insurance..............:Frustrated:

$4800 in damages between my truck and her SUV........... :wtf2:

But that's what happens when YOUR WIFE backs in to your truck in the driveway of your house........... That's no BS either.

At least you didn't have to give them a hug and kiss and tell them its okay after they damaged your new truck........:signs8:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Not everyone is a concrete cowboy :fishing1:
Hahaha, true but maybe someday you'll get there. This is what I used to take off-road, when I had the time that is. And was in my opinion anyway, the last good generation truck GM produced...

2004 GMC 2500HD 1.png

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Sorry to hear it.... I got a little further down the road before my 1st fender bender. It was the other person's fault as I was parked, but I still had to pay the full bill, i.e. deductible for both cars and the damages for both went against my insurance..............:Frustrated:

$4800 in damages between my truck and her SUV........... :wtf2:

But that's what happens when YOUR WIFE backs in to your truck in the driveway of your house........... That's no BS either.

At least you didn't have to give them a hug and kiss and tell them its okay after they damaged your new truck........:signs8:

My wife has had a few of those. No matter how sensitive my remarks the wreck always ends up being my fault.

Timway61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Gasoline V6
I had a 2014 that got rear ended, only two weeks old, insurance company wanted to bondo my tail gate, I fought with them, got new one, total cost just over $1000. Due to that fact, truck was marked as being in accident and cost me money when I traded it in.

Anthony Kalos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey Tim Garceau,
Do you know how much THAT FRONT BUMPER COSTS ??? Well over $1000 not including labor !!! Look on eBay at the used bumpers with worse damage than this one selling for $400 and up !!!
Being a NEW TRUCK, you’re nuts to accept a $100 for $1000+ worth of damages !