Which Oil Filter Relocation Kit do you have?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I just installed mine on Saturday. No leaks. Interesting that cold (80 deg f here) pressure is the normal 53 psi idle and aroub 2000 rpm and when engine is hot its 50 ish driving and 32 at idle like it was before the relocation. What's interesting is that drving from cold for about 2 minutes then punching it to merge into traffic about 3000 - 3500 rpm, pressure goes to 65 psi. I never bothered to check it under those conditions before the relocation.
Do any of you get that much when cold?
Here is my installation. Anywhere that the braided hose touched anything I cut some heater hose lengthwise and put it around the oil line to keep it from rubbing through after these photos were taken.
20190518_174447.jpg 20190518_174453.jpg

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I assume that the oil pressure sensor is after the filter so all is good with my install. I used the stock filter adapter for now, I will most likely switch to a larger one like crazykid1994 did. I stayed with stock size for now because I wanted to be sure the relocation didn't cause a pressure change and didn't want too many variables. I used the perma cool deluxe engine adapter that has the center hollow bolt to attach since it allowed me to position exactly where the hoses routed. It adds an additional O ring for the bolt which could be another weak point as far as leaks but it made for a "clean" install. I also added a fumoto valve so oil changes will be a breeze.
:cheers:

Last edited:

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
View attachment 165234 View attachment 165235 Figured out my oil drip... the threads are not cut straight on the filter mount... filter sits crooked. Just a tad bit but enough to leak I guess. Swapped with a new mount and of course since I’m doing that I upgraded to the xg8A filter for added capacity and turned sideways with a slight angle for ease of draining.
That suckethed, hopefully the new adapter is made better.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That suckethed, hopefully the new adapter is made better.
Yea no leaks with the new one and better idle oil pressure assuming from less bends due to the style of mount.
These.
e33857d6ae0f97f077dc5f1e7db21223.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Those are exactly what I bought. You need to use liquid thread seal or a small amount of tape to lubricate the threads during install or it grinds metal to metal and ruins the fittings. I did not have any issues installing or removing and reinstalling those fittings. I’m sure stuff happens that may cause an issue but generally dry threads are not good on stuff like this. I used liquid thread seal my first time and tape the second as I didn’t have liquid thread seal left. If purchasing liquid thread seal make sure you buy non galling otherwise it turns into rock hard cement and you will never be able to remove the fittings.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
These.
e33857d6ae0f97f077dc5f1e7db21223.jpg

NPT (National Pipe Thread) fittings usually need Teflon tape or Telfon Pipe Thread Dope/Sealant/Paste to prevent them from galling the threads,as they're a tapered fitting.If you have neither and have to buy one or the other,buy the Telfon Pipe Thread sealant,it's easier to work with.Teflon Tape has to be wound on a certain way to stay on the threads,and can loose small bits of tape into the oil system.Napa/ Auto Value or any decent auto parts supplier shoud have the thread sealant in stock. Any decent auto parts store should have this stuff in stock.

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en/product/PIPE-SEAL,W-TEFLON(UN0000)/p/PML59234

Last edited:

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
NPT fittings usually need Teflon tape or Telfon Pipe Thread Dope/Sealant/Paste to prevent them from galling the threads.If you have neither and have to buy one or the other,buy the Telfon Pipe Thread sealant,it's easier to work with.Teflon Tape has to wound on a certain way to stay on the threads,and can loose small bits of tape into the oil system.Napa/ Auto Value or any decent auto parts supplier shoud have the thread sealant in stock. Any decent auto parts store should have this stuff in stock.

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en/product/PIPE-SEAL,W-TEFLON(UN0000)/p/PML59234
Yeah stupid me, I bought that exact sealant, but like I said I was not having a good day and totally spaced on using it oh, I should have waited and not try to do this that day since the day was already going sideways. Lesson learned.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah stupid me, I bought that exact sealant, but like I said I was not having a good day and totally spaced on using it oh, I should have waited and not try to do this that day since the day was already going sideways. Lesson learned.

Don't worry,we've all had days like that,where it was a mistake to get out of bed,lol.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
D2BDDD25-0F3E-4407-8789-6AC7D0D079AE.jpeg
Half hour stop and go. Just got the highway. I do have a 190 tstat as well with the stock fans.
I just installed mine on Saturday. No leaks. Interesting that cold (80 deg f here) pressure is the normal 53 psi idle and aroub 2000 rpm and when engine is hot its 50 ish driving and 32 at idle like it was before the relocation. What's interesting is that drving from cold for about 2 minutes then punching it to merge into traffic about 3000 - 3500 rpm, pressure goes to 65 psi. I never bothered to check it under those conditions before the relocation.
Do any of you get that much when cold?
Here is my installation. Anywhere that the braided hose touched anything I cut some heater hose lengthwise and put it around the oil line to keep it from rubbing through after these photos were taken.
View attachment 166732 View attachment 166734

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's where my pressure is at 1500rpm & warm. If you can remember, when oil is cooler about 125 -150 deg does yuor pressure go into the mid 60's when rpms at about 3000?
I will check next time. I know at cruising while cool I sit at about 55-56 psi 1500rpm

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just curious, did you ever check this?
Haven’t had the chance at that high of an rpm. I do know around 2500 rpm I’m at around 60 psi so I can see that being right around the same for me

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I’m running the 20-820 which is the larger stock filter. There are 2 stock filter sizes
Do the stock & new 20-820 have the same bypass valve pressure spec? I've been running the Fram Ultra Synthic and the stock size has a 9-15 & the larger version is 16-28.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do the stock & new 20-820 have the same bypass valve pressure spec? I've been running the Fram Ultra Synthic and the stock size has a 9-15 & the larger version is 16-28.
Not sure. I’m running the fram ultra synthetic ph8a style filter now

OP
OP
Frankwhoa

Frankwhoa

Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I assume that the oil pressure sensor is after the filter so all is good with my install. I used the stock filter adapter for now, I will most likely switch to a larger one like crazykid1994 did. I stayed with stock size for now because I wanted to be sure the relocation didn't cause a pressure change and didn't want too many variables. I used the perma cool deluxe engine adapter that has the center hollow bolt to attach since it allowed me to position exactly where the hoses routed. It adds an additional O ring for the bolt which could be another weak point as far as leaks but it made for a "clean" install. I also added a fumoto valve so oil changes will be a breeze.
:cheers:

Which kit did you use for the stock filter threads?