Why are there so few 6’4 long beds out there?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Figured it was. I don’t know if they ever even made a gen 4 quad-cab with an 8-foot bed like they did with the gen 3’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I can still see the guy eating pancakes "Man that's a BIG truck!"

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I’m so old I think of a 6 1/2’ bed as a short bed. Long beds are 8’ long.

Of course I think 4-door pickup trucks look weird. When did this all happen? When did the old school regular cab pickup go the way of the dinosaur? And how can a 5 1/2’ bed be of any real use other than to throw groceries or a few bags of manure in?

The world has passed me by. I think I may get out just in time.

For the same reason you don't see these behemoths rolling down the highway at 55 with no a/c. THANK GOD!

542008235859_PICT0003a.jpg

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
That station wagon is bad ass! I would order it with air and cruise and it would float down the road like riding on a cloud at 80mph. By the way, a lot of those old wagons were designed so you could lay down the back seat and haul 4X8 sheets of plywood. The short and shorter bed Rams can't do that with the tail gate shut.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
That station wagon is bad ass! I would order it with air and cruise and it would float down the road like riding on a cloud at 80mph. By the way, a lot of those old wagons were designed so you could lay down the back seat and haul 4X8 sheets of plywood. The short and shorter bed Rams can't do that with the tail gate shut.

Yeah, I know. My Grandfather was a master craftsman he just didn't have much for shop space. He would use is Oldsmobile wagon to go back and forth to a local HS where the teacher let him use the wood shop to make furniture. I don't think he ever did 80 though, hah.

Ole 340

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Those old wagons served their purpose. Can recall my dad's with as many as nine of us riding. Kids facing the back. Not much for handling but a smooth ride. That 1968 Impale wagon would roll along well enough. 327, 325 HP rated the old way. They were all through my extended family in the 60's from all the manufacturers.Our SUVs of the day.

My Ram is like every full size I've owned. Regular cab 8' bed. That configuration still works best for my use. Not much dealer stock though. Many had none on the lot. Not too popular apparently.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I think most people want a bigger cab for passengers and it seems the default from factory is a 5’7 box. I personally love the look of a crew cab short box, however, a couple times I wished I had the 6’4 lol. Fishing rods in a 5’7 box sucks but I make it work. Especially my one piece 7’2 shimano rods [emoji6].

Tiped on ifone using Tapatalk and auto correct. Can’t you tell?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I’m so old I think of a 6 1/2’ bed as a short bed. Long beds are 8’ long.

Of course I think 4-door pickup trucks look weird. When did this all happen? When did the old school regular cab pickup go the way of the dinosaur? And how can a 5 1/2’ bed be of any real use other than to throw groceries or a few bags of manure in?

The world has passed me by. I think I may get out just in time.
I consider the 6'4 box to be a standard box. The 8 has always been a long bed to me. The 5'7 is a short box for the chevy avalanche or honda ridgeline crowd that want a mopar. Lol:hidesbehindsofa:

Hawaii_Built

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
I think most people want a bigger cab for passengers and it seems the default from factory is a 5’7 box. I personally love the look of a crew cab short box, however, a couple times I wished I had the 6’4 lol. Fishing rods in a 5’7 box sucks but I make it work. Especially my one piece 7’2 shimano rods [emoji6].

A very popular mod (at least here in HI) is using ski racks for rod transport. The rods are safe and out of the way of rolling cargo in the back of the truck and the racks are very secure preventing any scrateches or damage to your poles!

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
A very popular mod (at least here in HI) is using ski racks for rod transport. The rods are safe and out of the way of rolling cargo in the back of the truck and the racks are very secure preventing any scrateches or damage to your poles!

I’m so jealous you live in Hawaii lol. I’ll look into the ski rack thing for sure!

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the 6’4 bed just looks so much better.
2435DDA6-54B3-4427-86DD-D742537E06AF.jpeg

Jalynsdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
My wifes 2019 classic quad cab and my 2015 quad cab both have the 6'4" bed. I, personally, would not have bought either truck if it had the 5'7" or the 8' bed for no other reason than I think the 6'4" looks much better. If I need to hall anything that won't fit in my 6'4" bed, I have 6 different trailers that I could use. Both of our trucks are our daily drivers. If I was going to be using my truck as a "work truck" I might have sprung for the 8' as my company truck with the 8' has been beneficial from time to time.

NikNak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the 6'4" bed also, because sometimes it is actually my bed.
Same … Decked Boxes makes a perfect bed base with a queen air mattress. Spent a week in the Eastern Sierras. No hotels needed.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Those old wagons served their purpose. Can recall my dad's with as many as nine of us riding. Kids facing the back. Not much for handling but a smooth ride. That 1968 Impale wagon would roll along well enough. 327, 325 HP rated the old way. They were all through my extended family in the 60's from all the manufacturers.Our SUVs of the day.

My Ram is like every full size I've owned. Regular cab 8' bed. That configuration still works best for my use. Not much dealer stock though. Many had none on the lot. Not too popular apparently.
In 2017, I tried for a long time to find a Tradesman 2500 RCLB, with the 6.4, and 4.10's plus tow pkg/220A alternator. They searched all over North Jersey & PA.

Finally, on the last day of the month (wink, wink) they called and said they had one 280 miles away in PA. I said go get it and I'll meet you at your place after work.

Got there to find the had everything I wanted and more. Like 2 extra doors more. Friggin' CCLB! I said I can't afford that, it adds like $5-6k to the price. Plus it had chrome bumpers, 18" chrome wheels, aux. switches, clearance lights & HD rubber mats.

Sales guy said you can have it for what the RCLB price was if you buy it before we close. I bought it. Was there until 11:00pm. Oh, I also made them buy me M/T tires. They put those on at about 2000 miles.

That sucker is almost 22' long including my grille guard. Speed bump used to go bump....bump. Now it's like bump..............................bump. [emoji38]

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I consider the 6'4 box to be a standard box. The 8 has always been a long bed to me. The 5'7 is a short box for the chevy avalanche or honda ridgeline crowd that want a mopar. Lol:hidesbehindsofa:
Hahaha. Perfectly stated.

Ole 340

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In 2017, I tried for a long time to find a Tradesman 2500 RCLB, with the 6.4, and 4.10's plus tow pkg/220A alternator. They searched all over North Jersey & PA.

Finally, on the last day of the month (wink, wink) they called and said they had one 280 miles away in PA. I said go get it and I'll meet you at your place after work.

Got there to find the had everything I wanted and more. Like 2 extra doors more. Friggin' CCLB! I said I can't afford that, it adds like $5-6k to the price. Plus it had chrome bumpers, 18" chrome wheels, aux. switches, clearance lights & HD rubber mats.

Sales guy said you can have it for what the RCLB price was if you buy it before we close. I bought it. Was there until 11:00pm. Oh, I also made them buy me M/T tires. They put those on at about 2000 miles.

That sucker is almost 22' long including my grille guard. Speed bump used to go bump....bump. Now it's like bump..............................bump. [emoji38]
Yours is setup and chromed very similar to mine. That was a steal of a deal, right place and time. They found mine out of state as well. 8' bed is a must for some of us. Got the 373 gears, had to take what I could find. Too tall a gear for that overdrive ratio, no idea why they even offer it. Runs along well enough but gear hunts a bit much at highway speed. 456 would be ideal IMO with our trans ratio unless you run the flats and highway frequently. Anyhow good trucks. Been in the shop for three weeks via squirrel damage though. Dealer found a new gas tank Thursday from another dealer. FCA has them back ordered until late February so thankful for that find.

DURASPANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Took me over 8 months to find my sons 13 crew cab (big back doors) with 6'4 bed. It happened to be a big horn edition. Only had to add a backup camera to it.

mhedden94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haven't seen much around my area but I love my 6'4 crew cab. Extra space really comes in handy, plus it looks more natural to me :)

Latest.jpg

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haven't seen much around my area but I love my 6'4 crew cab. Extra space really comes in handy, plus it looks more natural to me :)

View attachment 186522

I agree with the more natural look but at least they did a fairly decent job blending the shorter bed in with the rest of the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I also think it looks better. The longer bed balances the length of the cab out. The 5th Gen Ram looks ridiculous with that huge cab and 5'7" bed.

I have used my bed several times for 8' lumber put on a diagonal and can still close the tailgate as well as my tonneau and drive to another store or what have you without worrying about someone stealing my stuff.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Purchased a 2017 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab with the 6’4 bed. And I barely see any other ones out there, most everyone else goes with the short 5’7 bed.

I love my long bed, rides really nice. Just curious what the opinion are out there on short vs long.

I don’t really use my bed much, just love driving a truck. But it sure is nice to have for when I’ll need it!

View attachment 178687
Well maybe that is a good thing for us because it makes the resale value higher when selling the truck. makes it rare find I guess ,but I love my 6.4 bed fits most everything even a 6 foot ladder laying flat down in the bed,makes going on the highway better .:banana-mario: