Why are there so few 6’4 long beds out there?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mainly because they won't fit in most garages I bet...:banana-mario: :favorites13: :popcorn:

ILLXJ

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's mine.
medium.jpg

JIM.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
When I as shopping for my '17 Ram 1500, the dealer couldn't spec out a long bed with my other wants (Crew cab, Eco-Diesel, Ram Boxes, towing pkg). We ended up discovering it was only available in a commercial/fleet Tradesman model. We found a pair in California and my dealer was able to get one of them. Really enjoy the long bed, but the truck is 19' long and a pain to park. It won't fit in a standard 2-car garage either. Rides really nice though.

Are you saying you have a 1500 Crew Cab with an 8' bed? Pics?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's why I want pics, hah.

Well, it’s lookin’ pretty grim because even after doing a google search on Ram 1500 crew cab 8-foot bed, I didn’t find anything. Not even a custom job such as a mega/long bed conversion for example.

But after looking more into it, I’m really thinkin’ this guy’s saying he has a crew with that 6-4 bed because he mentioned that his truck’s overall length was 19 feet which, if he had a “long bed” crew, their overall length is 237.9 inches, roughy 20 feet. 240 divided by 12 is 20 so, I don’t think he’s talking about an 8-foot bed because that’s strictly only an option on the regular cab models. I think what’s throwing you off(and me at first) because he used the term “long bed” and most people associate that as an 8-foot bed just like how for the longest time, a short bed was known as a 6-foot bed.

https://www.ramtruck.ca/en_dir/pdf/2016/specifications/1500.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Well, it’s lookin’ pretty grim because even after doing a google search on Ram 1500 crew cab 8-foot bed, I didn’t find anything. Not even a custom job such as a mega/long bed conversion for example.

But after looking more into it, I’m really thinkin’ this guy’s saying he has a crew with that 6-4 bed because he mentioned that his truck’s overall length was 19 feet which, if he had a “long bed” crew, their overall length is 237.9 inches, roughy 20 feet. 240 divided by 12 is 20 so, I don’t think he’s talking about an 8-foot bed because that’s strictly only an option on the regular cab models. I think what’s throwing you off(and me at first) because he used the term “long bed” and most people associate that as an 8-foot bed just like how for the longest time, a short bed was known as a 6-foot bed.

I saw that length as well. I think my truck feels that long. Jealous, hah.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
TRUCK4_zpseh2patqv.png
I bought a Red 2018 Sport Night Edition just like you described. It had a lot more options than I wanted but it was the only way I could at least get the options I wanted.

Why does 'hotobucket' do this crap to photos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VCorleone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6
I ended up with a short bed because it was on the truck that gave me the most bang for the buck. Big Horn / 5'7" bed. I can get a truck tent set up and sleep in it with the tailgate down, so I'm good with it.

Propman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m so old I think of a 6 1/2’ bed as a short bed. Long beds are 8’ long.

Of course I think 4-door pickup trucks look weird. When did this all happen? When did the old school regular cab pickup go the way of the dinosaur? And how can a 5 1/2’ bed be of any real use other than to throw groceries or a few bags of manure in?

The world has passed me by. I think I may get out just in time.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I have a 6.4 bed and think also the wheel base is 149 inches that's with a crew.The 8 foot bed with crew I don't know if they make that only think the mega 8 foot crew

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Of course I think 4-door pickup trucks look weird. When did this all happen? When did the old school regular cab pickup go the way of the dinosaur? And how can a 5 1/2’ bed be of any real use other than to throw groceries or a few bags of manure in?

Because trucks are more popular to the rest of the market like they weren’t back then. Nobody traveled in pickups. Nobody bought pickups unless you needed an actual truck.

But since you can still get pickup “trucks” in the heavy-duty’s, why do people keep asking this question about half-tons? You don’t need a whopping 8 foot bed in a half-ton anymore.

Bottom line, the people who buy half-tons are the same people who would buy a large SUV but want a pickup box and maybe don’t need seating for 8 people. If you’re buying a truck to work, haul a lotta ****, you’re most likely buying the wrong truck if it’s a half-ton. But, they do at least gotcha somewhat covered with a tradesman or bighorn short cab 8-foot bed for those who wish to haul stuff and not people.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

You can still buy pickup trucks in any configuration that will suite your needs. I have a 4 door pickup truck for an entire different reason than yours, I haul my family of 5 around to enjoy the outdoors and my own butt to put some dirt and pin stripes on the truck on dirt roads and desert washes. Truck bed real use for me is way different than yours so I have the truck I need and not the want you want to have. Manufactures seem to know a thing or two about that and have made it possible to buy the truck you want. Stop complaining and go out there and get it :)

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Figured it was. I don’t know if they ever even made a gen 4 quad-cab with an 8-foot bed like they did with the gen 3’s.

OP
OP
condor767

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I apologize for my choice of words for the title.

I didn’t necessarily refer to the 6’4 bed as a “Long” bed.

it’s just that I used “6’4ft long” in describing the length. Kind of like using “5’7 long” when referring to “how long is it?” (Insert lewd joke here, ha ha!)

It’s all in the words and connotation of the sentence.

I’m fully aware that the only “Long” beds are 8ft.

So my title should have read, “Why are there so few 6’4 CC beds out there”

Loving my 17 CC 6’4 Sport, first time truck owner and ne’er going back!