Why the hate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trail Ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My brother-in-law was a die hard Chevy guy for like over 25 years. And when he went to lease another truck a few years ago the difference in payment between a GM truck and a Ram was like over $200 difference in favor of the Ram 1500. So he reluctantly switched to Ram a few years back. And he has no regrets.

In Spring of 2016, we were in the market for 1/2 ton crew cab 4X4. And since my wife has a shorter commute and would drive the truck more, I had her test drive all of the Ford, GM, and Ram 1/2 ton crew cab 4X4s. She picked the Ram (mainly because it had the best ride). Well, we are at 70,000 miles now with only one minor issue (the radio not working due to a mandatory SW update that would not complete, which was quickly resolved by the dealer).

In my opinion pre-4th generation Dodge / Ram trucks were not up to Ford and GM quality, but starting with the 4th generation, they are just as good, if not better than the competition.

Oh a couple of my buddies with Toyota Tundras have driven my Ram 1500 and both were impressed with the power, transmission, towing, and ride.

michaelm_ski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter
Tell them haters be hating BUT yours is paid for and you love it , I have had three rams and my newest is a 2003 that I bought with a blown engine that the guy never changed the oil in but my other two rams went over two hundred thousand miles with my keeping fluids clean and up the only repairs were minor but then again I do not abuse my trucks as they can be expensive and I do not throw money out the window .

texas law dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l v6
didn't read all the posts, but before I bought any pickup the Ram was by really really far, the absolute absolutely best looking pickup by way far!!! Still is, by way way far!!!

Leonard Russo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I’ve owned them
All GM,Ford , Toyota , truth is my Rams have been more or zero troubles than all of them! Lol

Thornback

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I have owned 11 brand new Ford F-150's and just ordered a 2020 last week. I like the looks of a Dodge and have nothing against a Dodge. I also like the looks of the Chevy and GMC and don't hate those trucks. Today and for many years the vehicles have been well engineered. So buy what you like and what you get the best deal on.

Mitch1204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins Diesel
What are they saying? Most people claim dodges suck and they break down all the time. I believe it’s mainly due to some bad transmissions they had a while back. I had a 97 and my 17 and people talk crap about my truck breaking down but neither truck ever broke down or left me stranded.

It's the history of dodge. In the 80s they had the throw away K-cars made with cheap parts. Then in the 90s you had transmission problems. The list goes on. Personally I like working on Dodges. They are easy to work on compared to other cars. Dodge's reputation started changing around 2007 or so. They now use better metals and tighter tolerances. The new Dodge is not the old Dodge anymore. They definitely make a better looking vehicle and are mechanically sound today. Twenty years ago I wouldn't buy one but today I wouldn't hesitate.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I texted a longtime buddy in the same business as me that I bought a Ram. He texted back "Dependable Dodge...". He had a Chevy, now a Ford.

It's just decades of marketing, and folks being brand-loyal to Chevy and Ford. Also real issues Dodge used to have. My old Ford WAS very dependable, and all the guys I know with Chevy trucks were always having mechanical problems, but they still wanted that bow tie, I guess.

I drove new Chevy, Ford and the Ram. Just instantly liked they way the Ram drove, felt, and it looked better than the other two AND I got better features for much less cash. The basic Ford with crank windows, manual mirrors, no carpet, no XM/Bluetooth or even a bed liner was several thousand more than mine, which had all those power features, liner, carpet, premium door trim, and XM/Bluetooth. Just not a fan of the new boxy Fords anyway, and the Chevy hood was annoying, with huge bumps on the front corners.

clinck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recently bought a 2020 Ram Laramie..IMO, it has the best interior of any truck band. It looks expensive because it was! Stickered at 61K and you can spend more if you're a mind to but I got everything I needed in a truck. gorgeous interior worthy of luxury car status just a decade ago. There's leather everywhere door panels included. I watch the vehicles on the road and in my neighborhood. I suggest that 35% of all vehicles out there are now trucks. Why? because trucks are versatile and now extremely comfortable and you can get one with a honkin V8. Add a little exhaust mod and you have a thing of aural delight. I had a Silverado 2500HD Diesel for 14 years. It was a great truck and I missed it after it was gone so much that I sold my SUV and went back to truckin. Happy again. I think the Big 3 make good trucks but the Ram is my choice because of the better ride dynamics and the interior that just better than anyone else's. I especially like the ambient lighting of the cab at night. The little things that make this truck easy to live with..

FPrice

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There used to be three things which you did not discuss in polite company.

Trucks can rapidly devolve into this arena.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I get a different reaction in my ram.
Ram has had a very nice line up in the last few years on all their trucks. They option out incredible well too.

C4E6111A-787E-4620-A892-5F3D6425CD68.jpeg

19774D1A-30C5-414E-A4E3-65C793E5F9E4.jpeg

9E29D855-9609-4B1D-88E3-A12F518E8D46.jpeg

D9600C2C-D8D9-484E-B855-F000BD7B1F6E.jpeg

8B9DC549-0551-44A7-A6A7-B8EEEE1B6865.jpeg

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
Jealousy.....
Ditto, jealousy is the single most destructive emotion in all of humanity. Ram drivers are routinely polled as the most loyal to their brand and its because these trucks beat the competition in virtually every category. I have a 2000 Cummins with 200k on the ODO. I bought it new and its been fantastic. I bought a 2018 1500 Big Horn last year and it drives and rides like a luxury sedan. This truck has spoiled me to point where I don't want to drive anything else. They also look better than the competition and that's what spurs the jealousy.

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
i say buy anything but a ford. Jealous I would guess. I have had 9 Dodge trucks since 1995 and never had a problem with them or left dead anywhere.

I hate the shape of the door. No place for my arm. LOL Truck is ok I guess but just hate that door. LOL again. That’s my hate for the day and I’m sticking to it. RAM it day. 73 today and I have that right. One more time LOL and I love this forum.

gts340

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
People will say something negative about whatever you are driving, no matter what it is. Other people hate seeing someone get something new. Even when the Dodge trucks had transmission problems, so did everyone else. Remind any chevy guy about the crappy fuel pumps their trucks had for over a decade, or the 6.5 diesel truck engines they had that were complete crap. I know, I was a GM tech. Or switch the conversation to Ford and ask why here in the midwest, a Ford truck will rust out in a matter of moments. Probably why they switched to Aluminum. I've had a whole lot of vehicles and the worst ones that come to mind were my Ford trucks and my GM cars. They are the neediest things on the road compared to my Mopars.

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ditto, jealousy is the single most destructive emotion in all of humanity. Ram drivers are routinely polled as the most loyal to their brand and its because these trucks beat the competition in virtually every category. I have a 2000 Cummins with 200k on the ODO. I bought it new and its been fantastic. I bought a 2018 1500 Big Horn last year and it drives and rides like a luxury sedan. This truck has spoiled me to point where I don't want to drive anything else. They also look better than the competition and that's what spurs the jealousy.

I seriously think some people are just poking fun and mean nothing by the comments. While others, no matter what you do, will have something negative to say.

They will say "Should've bought a Ford"
If you pulled up in a F150, they would say should've bought a F250.
If you pulled up in a King Ranch F350 they would say, "Well it must be nice to have all that money" or "Can't hide money".

I have learned to let these comments go in one ear and out the other. The same type people will give you a hard time when your favorite sports team gets beat, as if you actually had anything to do with the outcome of the game. Ain't got time for that. Unless your a Duke, Tennessee, or UofL fan that is!

patmanz28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I can kinda understand some hate for the rams, but it is from the older ones. My dad had a 2001 he bought brand new 2wd 5.2. The thing got terrible mileage and after about 4 years started having rust. It was still under an extended warranty when the rear end went out (45k I think) and then soon after needed a new trans (also replaced under warranty). He loved it but it aged badly. My neighbor has a trx and it is super rusted on both rear bedsides around the wheel wells and i see him wash and care for the truck regularly. My 2016 looks factory fresh and i have no issues. I get better mileage than my brother in laws 2.7 ecoboost, and i feel mine is more comfortable. I also have a 2003 crown vic that is dead on reliable, but certain things i hate to work on. (front struts were a pain). I say like what you like and drive till the wheels fall off.

E-rok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ironically enough, half of the replies in here are how all the other brands are POS's.

Isnt that the exact same thing the OP was complaining about?

Octane

Reaction score
Jealousy and wealth envy has a lot to do with many people running off at the mouth.I've owned several vehicles that were ok or highly praised by one person till I bought those vehicles.Then they were a no good pos. I told him it's not him that has to do repairs,pay for it either.So he has nothing to worry about.And guess who is not sitting his rearend in any of my vehicles if they are at anytime in need of transportation? Yep.

tcburch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just bought a 2016 ram and I love it. My dad owned won and I loved it too. But ever since I bought it 3 days ago all the guys at work have been giving me **** about it. Why do people have such a negative opinion of them?
Probably just jealousy more than anything. I've a 2020, new body style and get crap from everyone who went with classic. Always gonna be those who choose Ford/Chevy/Mopar or something else...they have to justify their decisions to do so by knocking everything else...I went to several others after having a 2012 Laramie...nothing I've had (Ford or Chevy), before or since could compare...until I got my 2020 Longhorn...love it...you've got a great truck there, keep it...