Wife is P!$$€D

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeSchmoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 and 2015 (RIP 2002)
Engine
5.2L and 5.7 Hemi
P1740

Code popped up yesterday driving home from Home Depot. Checked as soon I got in my driveway. Drove to a buddies house to pick something off and outta nowhere RPM’s jumped and “D” gear felt as I was in neutral. Pulled over shifted through the gears, nothing. Turned truck off hoping it’s sonethin stupid and was able to engage into “D” for a bit before it popped into neutral gear again. So I did that, turned truck off each time, until I pulled in fronta my house.
Made it home. Didn’t leave me high and dry.
After usin the bathroom I go outside and see what’s up. Shifted through ALL the gears and now got nothin. This came outta nowhere as truck was driving fine.
Didn’t slip or grind the past 5 days I was driving her. This came outta nowhere.
Previous owner did tell me he put in brand new Governor selinoid in so I knew it had issues previously.
Oh BTW this my ‘01 1500 that I was gonna use as my workhorse/beater.
Gonna try one thing real quick as I’m not a tranny guy at all.
Wife is mad but she made great coffee today so.....

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Fluid level full? Clean? May as well start with the simple stuff first.

Have you tried driving with overdrive turned off? Not sure if it would help or not but may as well try it since all it takes is a press of a button.

Barring any of that, sounds like a probable issue with the torque converter itself.

OP
OP
JoeSchmoe

JoeSchmoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 and 2015 (RIP 2002)
Engine
5.2L and 5.7 Hemi
Fluid level full? Clean? May as well start with the simple stuff first.

Have you tried driving with overdrive turned off? Not sure if it would help or not but may as well try it since all it takes is a press of a button.

Barring any of that, sounds like a probable issue with the torque converter itself.

Thanks for response and your help. Much obliged
Fluid is clean and full yes.
Tried both on and off OD.
Replaced the transmission speed sensor little while ago(read on here it may be so I tried) went into gear upon startup then she’s dead in the water again.
Torque converter would be beyond my expertise though. Never dealt with it and when it comes to trannys im clueless. 23 vehicles in my lifetime and not ones ever given me tranny problems, until now lol

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Why would your Wife be mad?
Light Bulbs burnout
Kids mess up
Husbands screw up
Vehicle break down and need repairs

...unless you are now taking her car, from her, until yours is fixed/

OP
OP
JoeSchmoe

JoeSchmoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 and 2015 (RIP 2002)
Engine
5.2L and 5.7 Hemi
Because I said my last project would be my last lol

Why would your Wife be mad?
Light Bulbs burnout
Kids mess up
Husbands screw up
Vehicle break down and need repairs

...unless you are now taking her car, from her, until yours is fixed/

Reactions: Mop

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Sorry, I have to laugh. I don't know if you're not trying hard enough, or you got all my luck. Out of 20 plus vehicles I've owned I've rebuilt transmissions in about half of 'em. Not all were Mopars either.

If I had a dollar for everyone who thought they'd buy a used 2nd gen and not have a project, I could retire early.

Not too early, but earlier...

Maybe just a few months early.

P1740 is your clutch facing in your torque convertor wearing off, filling your transmission with a assortment of facing material and fine metal.
It plugs up your filter, and what ever gets by it gets in your check valve and plugs it and your factory cooler if you have one. The crud goes everywhere.
Occasionally, you can replace the OD/lockout solenoid assembly and install a new filter It may help for a while. But it will eventually fail.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JoeSchmoe

JoeSchmoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 and 2015 (RIP 2002)
Engine
5.2L and 5.7 Hemi
Oh I knew she was a project when I bought it lol. Just told a lil white lie when I brought it home
Gonna have a go at it though. Saved my last project Ram from the scrapyard, gonna try save this one too.
Frame is in immaculate condition. Is why I believe it’s worth a shot.
Thanks

Sorry, I have to laugh. I don't know if you're not trying hard enough, or you got all my luck. Out of 20 plus vehicles I've owned I've rebuilt transmissions in about half of 'em. Not all were Mopars either.

If I had a dollar for everyone who thought they'd buy a used 2nd gen and not have a project, I could retire early.

Not too early, but earlier...

Maybe just a few months early.

P1740 is your clutch facing in your torque convertor wearing off, filling your transmission with a assortment of facing material and fine metal.
It plugs up your filter, and what ever gets by it gets in your check valve and plugs it and your factory cooler if you have one. The crud goes everywhere.
Occasionally, you can replace the OD/lockout solenoid assembly and install a new filter It may help for a while. But it will eventually fail.