Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Which proves people on the phone may or may not have a clue.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Or they have an opinion and you know what they say about opinions, they're like assholes, everyone has one....

Last edited:

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Also when I had my truck at the dealers a couple months ago for the tailgate and park recalls I asked the service manager about the lifetime fill and he said they recommend changing fluid & filter at 100kmiles. I mentioned that I had a lifetime warranty and he said "then leave it alone & if it fails they'll replace it".

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
They put it in writing that there are no fluid changes required for life. Lifetime is determined by a repair costing more than the value of the vehicle. So it would be on them.

If you did the service at the dealership, they would have access to your service history (I have no doubt with something as major as the transmission they will look). If you do it ourself, or at an independent shop, they might not be able to tell, but if they can would it be worth it after spending $3k on the warranty? (Considering a new FZ trans could be $7k+)

They'll also want the TCM out of the transmission,which basically can tell them what you were doing with the truck,and whether they figure what you were doing could be classed as abuse.The TCM will tell them how many times you went to the bathroom last week,just kidding,but the first thing FCA wants even before service records is the computer out of the tranny.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
believe some of you are 'over thinking this subject'. Follow the manufacturers directions and you'll be just fine, including those directions if you tow/haul. And it does NOT have to be at the dealer, just a reputable repair shop, so Joes truck works probably won't work, no offense to Joe. Also know several folks with well over 125K on their trucks with this transmission they are still doing just fine. Of course these long haulers take care of the truck correctly. Nothing lasts a lifetime, but lifetime means just that, as long as YOU still own the vehicle, period. So when it dies later, and it probably will, they repair or replace it with a like and kind of transmission. 'Have NEVER heard of an actual substantiated case where FCA, or the old Chrysler, did not stand behind the warrantee. But you'll hear others say something else and usually it ends up they are not quite telling the whole thing about it. I wouldn't change the fluid unless something started going wrong with it somehow. best...

Jdoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok fellows, I have a 14 ram 1500 sport. Just changed my transmission filter/ pan using redline D6 ATF. It's a full synthetic and can be used for the 8hp70 tranny. It's a Hell of alot cheaper fluid but a better oil if that makes sense. Red line oils are top of line fluids. I bought 2 gallons and used about 1.5 or so. So about 6-7 qts. This is a direct replacement for the zf lifeguard 8 fluid. You can find specs on redline website. I think 1 qt. Is about 15 bucks. 1 gal. Is around $50.
It's so much easier using the gallon jug vs. Qts. Hence you have to pump oil to fill (less mess and cleanup).
I drive an approx. 1hr to work at interstate speed 70 -85/ mph. Shifting seems smooth. So far I've not incurred any issues. However I was hoping for a temp drop but it's still the same. Approx 180-90 temp.

It took me less than 2 hrs to do this service. For less than $240 bucks. I already had the pump. Lol.
I've posted a few pics for clarification.
Also for clarification the zf fluid is not lifetime. ZF reccomends changing every 80-120,000 km. Which is approx. 75,000 miles.

The filter can be replaced if using this pan. The OEM you cannot change filter. So next change is only fluid and filter.

Here is the parts I used
ATP p/n, B-453, $130
Red lion , D6 atf. $50 x2.
Pump - auto zone, $15.

15486840885941238997004012921083.jpg

15486841511889108103524465075056.jpg

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
believe some of you are 'over thinking this subject'. Follow the manufacturers directions and you'll be just fine, including those directions if you tow/haul. And it does NOT have to be at the dealer, just a reputable repair shop, so Joes truck works probably won't work, no offense to Joe. Also know several folks with well over 125K on their trucks with this transmission they are still doing just fine. Of course these long haulers take care of the truck correctly. Nothing lasts a lifetime, but lifetime means just that, as long as YOU still own the vehicle, period. So when it dies later, and it probably will, they repair or replace it with a like and kind of transmission. 'Have NEVER heard of an actual substantiated case where FCA, or the old Chrysler, did not stand behind the warrantee. But you'll hear others say something else and usually it ends up they are not quite telling the whole thing about it. I wouldn't change the fluid unless something started going wrong with it somehow. best...

Well ya know, sometimes it never hurts to have clarification. I don’t really consider it as overthinking. Especially since it’s been discovered that the manufacturer of the transmission even says it needs to be maintained.

Everybody knows- or probably has a good idea that warranty’s all have that one thing in common which is not liking to pay for claims and that most of them seem to just look for any reason to deny you and when you have a transmission that the manufacturer (of the truck) claims you never have to do a service on it, well- eventually something’s gonna happen. Even if it takes upwards of a 120k + miles to do it, it’s gonna happen. It’s good to know that it seems like MaxCare knows this and as long as whatever the problem was wasn’t caused by the owner, that lack of maintenance will still be covered because the almighty manual of the vehicle says it isn’t required.

Kinda sucks tho, for people who don’t have the lifetime because you’re kinda being lied to about believing it never needs servicing. Even if you are the first owner because after that powertrain runs out, and you don’t have it serviced, you’re taking a chance at a very expensive repair or replacement that’s gonna cost a whole lot more than just the $600 fluid/filter change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jdoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I forgot to mention that I had over 116,000 mi. On truck. The original fluid is a light green when new. When I changed mine it was darker green. But I do a lot of towing ( horse trailer).

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What color is the Redline fluid? I've read that the original is green?? My thoughts would be if it goes in for maxcare coverage and they see red then you will see red too because you will have to prove that it has been serviced correctly.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I forgot to mention that I had over 116,000 mi. On truck. The original fluid is a light green when new. When I changed mine it was darker green. But I do a lot of towing ( horse trailer).

It’s probably a good thing you changed yours since you don’t have lifetime but after thinking about it, sometimes I wonder if even for the rest of those folks who don’t have lifetime that you’d probably have a good case in court if your transmission did fail that you could just claim that you followed the order of your manual.

Kinda curious what the owners manual says about servicing for the little Calibers or any of the other vehicles that Chrysler had that had that same CV trans as the one my mom had in her Caliber. It was like the 8-speed being that it was all sealed up, didn’t have no dipstick, and used some special type of 30 or 20 weight oil in supposedly. I was the one that had her have it serviced because because of the high mileage it had. Even the transmission shop kind of advised against servicing it and even recommended that being the only time it was ever serviced. Two years later it started acting up so this time she traded it.

Mopar1987

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
As long as it’s under Ram factory warranty, it don’t matter. I was trying to dig up some info on the manufacturer of the transmission- which isn’t Chrysler, to see what it says about service intervals on their product but couldn’t find anything. I thought I had read on here somewhere that the manufacturer of the transmission says around every 60,000, but I don’t know. But if that’s true and if maxcare knows that, they... are probably going to be the ones who end up denying you coverage when your truck ***** out a transmission, long after Ram has gotten done warrantying your truck. And since maxcare is strict about negligence, because you never changed it, you’ll be fighting maxcare, not Ram. If at anytime that tranny fails in that powertrain warranty, it’s on their dime.

I doubt that’s right. I don’t understand the whole lifetime fill myself, but probably because checking and adding fluid to this thing is a whole lot more involved than on a regular transmission that uses the same basic ATF. And because this thing uses some special fluid, they probably don’t want people thinking regular ole red ATF is what it takes. That, and this transmission is probably similar to the constant-velocity transmissions they were putting in the calibers, Darts, prolly the little 200 and I think the Journey. Takes a special dipstick tool, and a computer needs to be connected to the vehicle to monitor the trans temp.

All this... is most likely why there’s no dipstick.

I hope that’s a safe plan.

Here you go.

https://aftermarket.zf.com/remotemedia/lol-lubricants/lol-en/lol-te-ml-11-en.pdf

Sonny188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm following FCA recommendations on my truck...Doing anything different would court a potential claim denial without recourse...Makes no sense to me to service what they say not to service.

harley572

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The OP, asked if you would do it if you have the Max Care Lifetime Warranty. Now if you dont I can understand changing it, especially if you have the mechanical abilities. But for the average Joe who spent nearly $ 3000. 00 on the warranty, why would you spend another thousand or so at the dealer to service something they say not to service, or risk your warranty by doing it elsewhere or yourself. It will be interesting in a year or so when these transmissions all begin reaching the 100,000 mile mark, to see whether the dealers start hounding you and recommending a transmission service conflicting with the manuals recommendations. Until then I wouldn't touch the transmission. Probably one of the reasons they did away with lifetime Max Care.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I actually stopped by the dealer today and asked specifically about this and told them I can't find a severe duty maint. schedule for my 16.
They said there isn't a severe duty schedule for the 8 speed and no need to do any maint. on it. They did state that is they performed the service, Maxcare would not under any circumstances void the warranty on their work - maybe they have specially techs that have taken all of the 8 speed training.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It probably wouldn’t of helped much but I kinda wish I woulda thought to ask the lady at Maxcare, and the one at Ram cares when i was on the phone with them about if having the transmission serviced, even with the lifetime warranty, if servicing it would cause any warranty problems, even if you had the dealer to do it but I didn’t. You’d think that they’d be for it since servicing it when ZF says it needs it, to help prevent them from paying costly repairs or replacement down the road from basically neglect.

But then again if the vehicle manufacturer says it’s a lifetime fill and that changing the fluid and filter goes against what they say, the dealer could probably get you into hot water for letting them talking talk you into servicing a non serviceable transmission.

Bottom line is, if you got the lifetime, my opinion, leave it alone. If you don’t have lifetime, might wanna service it after that powertrain warranty runs out so you can save buying a new tranny years down the road.

harley572

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I actually stopped by the dealer today and asked specifically about this and told them I can't find a severe duty maint. schedule for my 16.
They said there isn't a severe duty schedule for the 8 speed and no need to do any maint. on it. They did state that is they performed the service, Maxcare would not under any circumstances void the warranty on their work - maybe they have specially techs that have taken all of the 8 speed training.
Thats good to hear, But still if you have the Max Care Lifetime why do it ? Just wait to hear if these transmissions start failing, and or if people who serviced them were denied coverage or not if their transmission did fail. As most have said you are protected as long as you follow recommended service. Worst part would be a truck for 3 weeks while they replace it, but Max care also gives you a rental. IMHO

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Well maybe they do as the other guy said, why spend 600 plus bucks on a service that you shouldn’t have to pay for? Unless you decide to opt out of your Maxcare contract, that would be the only time I would see having it maintenanced.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im starting to lean towards those saying "do whatever the manual says" to keep all warranties (including MaxCare) intact.

I dont think Ill ever touch the trans. I hate to let it all go to poop over the years, but it might be the only way to be sure it gets covered. Even asking the dealer *right now* wont do much good if the same people arent at the dealership 7+ years from now if the trans dies.

Now...ENGINE OIL might be a different story. Im still not thrilled with their 5-20 recommendation, nor how noisy my engine sounds on the "premium" oil (PUP). Not quite sure which way to go with that.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thats good to hear, But still if you have the Max Care Lifetime why do it ? Just wait to hear if these transmissions start failing, and or if people who serviced them were denied coverage or not if their transmission did fail. As most have said you are protected as long as you follow recommended service. Worst part would be a truck for 3 weeks while they replace it, but Max care also gives you a rental. IMHO
That loaner/ rental is only for the 1st 7 years.
Bottom line, as long as the maxcare lifetime lasts longer than the trans lifetime we'll be fine...
:cheers:

blade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
after reading this thread i am a lot happier about owning the 545rfe.

not as fast as the 8 speed but easy to maintain. 1st change do spin on filter and sump filter and swap out pan for dorman replacement w magnetic drain plug.
then just change in minute whenever u have to.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
As George Carlin once said, don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.....