2020 RAM 2500 6.4L - Loud tick even after lifter replacement at 19K miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbpetro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Hello RAM Forum,

First off this is my first RAM purchase so I'm new to the RAM 6.4L hemi engine and all its glory and not so glorious issues. At around 7K miles my engine developed a loud ticking noise (see video). I took it to the dealer and they said it was "normal" ( I have this in writing from the dealership). After another 12K miles and at least 2 trips back to the dealership and evidence of the issue they finally decided to replace the lifters. I was hopeful for a day as the noise went away. On day 2 after replacement the noise returned and to my untrained ear sounds louder than before. After may discussions with the dealership service manager and the regional representative for FCA, who didn't hear anything "unusual", the FCA representative had my dealership add Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer to quit the engine noise. I heard no improvement in the engine noise. Now FCA is dragging it's feet on what to do next so I've turned to you great people to help me out.

1. Is there an issue with my engine?
or
2. I'm hearing noises that are "normal" for a RAM 6.4L hemi

YouTube Video of Noise after lifter replacement

YouTube Video after Lucas Stabilizer

Come on FCA...fix my engine!!!

Please help me out HD RAM forum members. Blow this up so FCA takes notice!

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ya, that sounds like crap, much clatter.

If the dealer says it’s normal, they should have no problem paying top dollar for it as a trade in.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If they decided to work on it, they knew something was wrong. If it went away for a day, and is now back...something is wrong again. Take it back to them and make them fix it. Mine is a 2019 with just over 21k miles and doesn't sound like that. I use pennzoil 0w-40 at around 4000-5000 mile intervals.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
bearing is usually a pronounced knock. sounds like a lifter tap to me but videos can be decieving. if the noise went away for a couple days after the repair ,that suggests a lifter as well.
does the paper work say they replaced all lifters or just one or two ? perhaps they tried to isolate the bad lifter and just replace that one and another has gone bad ? i wonder if the cam was damaged and they tried to reuse it ? theres alot of things we just dont know as you havent provided much information

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds to me like excessive lifter tick, did they indeed replace all of the lifters, or just the ones that were bad, the Cam has to be all chewed up and should of been replaced with the lifters, it sounds like it's in the upper end to me, was this recorded for a warmed-up engine, need to hear a cold start for exhaust manifold bolts, Lucas is no good it thickens the oil, that's like STP tooo thick, Stay on the horse bring it back to the dealership.

Last edited:

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2019 classis 5.7L developed a tick at 29.000km,after engine diagnostics done by dealer,they say same thing,this hemi tick is normal.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hello RAM Forum,

First off this is my first RAM purchase so I'm new to the RAM 6.4L hemi engine and all its glory and not so glorious issues. At around 7K miles my engine developed a loud ticking noise (see video). I took it to the dealer and they said it was "normal" ( I have this in writing from the dealership). After another 12K miles and at least 2 trips back to the dealership and evidence of the issue they finally decided to replace the lifters. I was hopeful for a day as the noise went away. On day 2 after replacement the noise returned and to my untrained ear sounds louder than before. After may discussions with the dealership service manager and the regional representative for FCA, who didn't hear anything "unusual", the FCA representative had my dealership add Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer to quit the engine noise. I heard no improvement in the engine noise. Now FCA is dragging it's feet on what to do next so I've turned to you great people to help me out.

or

Hi,
We apologize for any dissatisfaction. Please follow up with us via PM to provide additional details regarding your concerns so we may determine how to best assist you.

Rob
Ram Cares

jon0m0berry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think chances are your 1st lifter that failed ate up the cam a bit, dealer decided to not change the cam, so the problem persisted after putting a good lifter on a bad cam. There's also the chance you bugged them enough and they took your truck, added in some Walmart magic oil additive, and just gave it back saying they actually did stuff. Ide defiantly still bug them more though. Sorry for your problems.

Edge357

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I hope they figure it out. I have around 13K on mine. No issues yet. Now i'll be all self-conscious listening for it.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I hope they figure it out. I have around 13K on mine. No issues yet. Now i'll be all self-conscious listening for it.
Don’t listen too close. Lol. It will drive you crazy trying to figure out the hemi tones.

Antonio Mena

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello RAM Forum,

or

They need to replace cam and lifters with hellcat high volume pump.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
They need to replace cam and lifters with hellcat high volume pump.

I replaced my cam, installed non-MDS lifters and the Hellcat pump. My truck still ticks when it's cold out. Heads were also checked and new springs and valves installed at the same time. I've also run various oils from the stock Penzoil, AMSOIL and Redline. Made little difference. Something else is going on but I'll be damned if I can figure it out.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I replaced my cam, installed non-MDS lifters and the Hellcat pump. My truck still ticks when it's cold out. Heads were also checked and new springs and valves installed at the same time. I've also run various oils from the stock Penzoil, AMSOIL and Redline. Made little difference. Something else is going on but I'll be damned if I can figure it out.

Checked the exhaust manifolds?

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Checked the exhaust manifolds?
Well the truck has ARH headers but the answer to your question is yes. I've replaced the gaskets, both with OEM and aftermarket just in case.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Well the truck has ARH headers but the answer to your question is yes. I've replaced the gaskets, both with OEM and aftermarket just in case.
Can't fathom why a new set of hardware would tick unless the block and head oil galley is obstructed somewhere.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Can't fathom why a new set of hardware would tick unless the block and head oil galley is obstructed somewhere.
I had fully expected to find lifter/cam damage during the teardown based upon the noise it was making. But to my surprise everything looked good. I always maintain 5-7k oil change intervals with a good quality full-synthetic. Also always give the truck a chance to warm up a bit before driving. You only hear the noise when it's cold outside. But it doesn't go away even after the truck has warmed up.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I had fully expected to find lifter/cam damage during the teardown based upon the noise it was making. But to my surprise everything looked good. I always maintain 5-7k oil change intervals with a good quality full-synthetic. Also always give the truck a chance to warm up a bit before driving. You only hear the noise when it's cold outside. But it doesn't go away even after the truck has warmed up.

Sounds like your lifters are draining down? Try a bigger / lower restriction oil filter. Hemi's are lubrication drama queens, unfortunately. There was no good reason for this, but it is what it is after 20 years of this.