2022 Camping season...preps...thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Heatheroo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
dewinterized for a trip back in Jan but then had to undo for some freezing weather in feb. now getting trailer ready again for the season. going to tap into gas line to add quick-connect for griddle and might change out tiny camper crapper for a porcelain one.
keep in mind....if the griddle has a regulator, you want to tap upstream from the camper's regulator......or remove the griddles regulator.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
The best TT I ever owned was a Great Divide. All solid wood interior and built very well. Very heavy trailer. Problem is the last few years everyone wants lighter weight trailers which usually means cheaper and lighter materials.
The weight reduction game really kicked into high gear in the mid to late 90s. Rv OEMs lightened things up, used thinner materials, rubber roofs and RVs became disposable items like many other things from that era to the present day, again in the name of fuel economy and enabling lesser tow rigs to pull long trailers

With these new rigs, when they need a new roof, the rig has depreciated so much by that point that the roof costs more than the trailer is worth so they get scrapped. New rigs are nice though, but so many get suckered into spending 30k plus on a new camper, then realize they don't have time to go so they sit and depreciate. Some who can't park them at their house pay $50 plus per month to keep them at a storage lot on top of that. Just crazy.

I see many Campers at a storage lot close to my house that havent moved for 2 plus years. Some As and 5th wheels that have to be 50k plus rigs. One at a neighbors house they bought 3 yrs ago I've never seen move once. I don't get it, but to each their own

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The weight reduction game really kicked into high gear in the mid to late 90s. Rv OEMs lightened things up, used thinner materials, rubber roofs and RVs became disposable items like many other things from that era to the present day, again in the name of fuel economy and enabling lesser tow rigs to pull long trailers

With these new rigs, when they need a new roof, the rig has depreciated so much by that point that the roof costs more than the trailer is worth so they get scrapped. New rigs are nice though, but so many get suckered into spending 30k plus on a new camper, then realize they don't have time to go so they sit and depreciate. Some who can't park them at their house pay $50 plus per month to keep them at a storage lot on top of that. Just crazy.

I see many Campers at a storage lot close to my house that havent moved for 2 plus years. Some As and 5th wheels that have to be 50k plus rigs. One at a neighbors house they bought 3 yrs ago I've never seen move once. I don't get it, but to each their own
When covid locked down the nation people went out and bought campers and new vehicles to pull them with. They filled the campgrounds nationwide and lots of congestion everywhere we went. Can't blame them for that but now the rv market is slowing and lots of used campers for sale. Corona campers. :)

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some will definitely keep camping but I think quite a few, when times get rough, will realize how much they use it vs the cost of payments, camping, and hopefully upkeep will change their minds. My cousin and I were just talking about that last night. The cheapest campgrounds with full hookups are $50 to $60 a night. That's compared to $40 to $45 only two years ago. I know there are cheaper ways to camp but my wife and I like our full hookups.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Some will definitely keep camping but I think quite a few, when times get rough, will realize how much they use it vs the cost of payments, camping, and hopefully upkeep will change their minds. My cousin and I were just talking about that last night. The cheapest campgrounds with full hookups are $50 to $60 a night. That's compared to $40 to $45 only two years ago. I know there are cheaper ways to camp but my wife and I like our full hookups.
Yeah man, the older I get I agree, full hookups are really nice for sure. I wasn't that way when I was younger though for sure.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Also, I think quite a few of the Corona newbies found camping due to Corona and will stick with it. Some may not...we'll know for sure in a few years I think..but by then my Camping days may be done.

The widespread lack of decent camping courtesy on display and the overcrowded conditions really took a lot away from it for me such that all of the work is not outweighed by the enjoyment anymore....but we'll see, I go again in a month...and I still enjoy going once I'm there

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
We spent last weekend at Bristol Motor Speedway. This weekend we are headed back to a state park campground. Very anxious to hook the truck up and head to the woods.

Looks like 7 other sites reserved. Should be peaceful again. Thanking the ever changing PA weather for keeping people at home.

Will not be long and the peaceful quiet will have many people attempting to destroy it.

I want everyone to enjoy camping, but I am still secretly hoping some give in and return to resorts and cruises.

Always got the forest to head to though. Hoping to get onto building our truck bed camp setup and start the off grid trailer build...just in case the campgrounds stay busy.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Also, I think quite a few of the Corona newbies found camping due to Corona and will stick with it. Some may not...we'll know for sure in a few years I think..but by then my Camping days may be done.

The widespread lack of decent camping courtesy on display and the overcrowded conditions really took a lot away from it for me such that all of the work is not outweighed by the enjoyment anymore....but we'll see, I go again in a month...and I still enjoy going once I'm there
Yes- most corona campers don't know what campground etiquette is.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
And that's one of the biggest problems that I see besides overcrowding.
Exactly...Corona brought a lot of city people camping...so as no surprise, they brought their city attitude and behaviour to the campground with them...and hence the issues. I also agree with DD..and hope they go back where they came from.

cms1528

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love camping, myself and three collage friends did the entire Appalachian trail in the mid-eighties. That was the big start into hiking/camping. I recently purchased a RAM 2500 with 6'-5" bed and have started looking for some camping options with it. On overnighters or weekend trips I use a truck bed tent that I really enjoy. I have been looking at some of the light weight slide in campers with the collapsible rooftop. A little barebones but that works for me and my wife. However, the allure of a tow behind RV is on my mind as well but that has is minor cons for me too.

Your right though, it's annoying to see folks just come into a camp area and ruin things or cause problems that are not necessary. They are self centered people and although they lack the simple understand about how to act in such a setting you will likely never be able to educate them about their behavior. As a result of some of that I have been giving thought to building an overland type camping vehicle and go off the grid with it in a way. My 2500 would likely work just fine with that but finding a nice used 3500 with an eight foot bed would be nice too, although with the current market on used trucks that would be a stretch. Then drop anchor in the mist of nature and be virtually alone.

Last edited:

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
my lake is still frozen solid so our tt is still sitting in storage.i feel for all you guys stuck in crowded campgrounds.we don't have that problem.

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Around us most of the crowded campgrounds are closer to the shore. We avoid those. We camp to relax, we don't need a fancy CG with all the expensive extras. The one we stay at is more crowded than it used to be but you can usually find a spot as close as 2 weeks out unless it's a holiday weekend. We go to that one so often that the seasonal campers know us and noticed that we bought a new trailer last year...LOL

We're also trying a new one in May. Another small family owned one. I like the family owned ones much more than the corporate ones. There are 106 campgrounds in NJ and about 80 of them are in South Jersey where we live. While they are crowded it seems like we can always find a spot somewhere.

Last edited:

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I do have to admit, although I miss empty campgrounds, the covid camping craze has definitely been a blessing as far as getting money into state park campgrounds and the little towns around them. And the areas used the influx of money to make many needed improvements.

So, I guess that makes it easier when you see the improvements.

Maybe one more year of it will be acceptable...maybe...ha

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We get to go to our campground this weekend. Can't stay over night til next weekend though. It's all permanent sites except 2 and I really hope this year is the same as last year. My son and I were there every weekend except one and besides holiday weekends there were only 10-20% people there on a given weekend.

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Let us know how well it works. I pull a 30' and interested if the signal will reach the cab.
I just installed it and set it up. So far I love it. It's very accurate. Within 1 lb of my 2 tire gauges. It's very easy to set up, just follow the directions and not the reviewers on YouTube. 70% of them do it backwards. You need to power up the monitor first, before you install the sensors. So many of them do it wrong and wonder why it doesn't read right away. My monitor picked up the sensors right away, as soon as I installed them without having to move the trailer.

I'll let you know if the signal reaches the cab and reads them while I'm moving but that won't be until Thursday.

20220422_120514.jpg

Last edited: