4x4 problem Ram 2013+ 8-speed 44-44 transfer case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, so if his truck is actually malfunctioning what is the solution? The dealers won't touch them because eventually the clutch does engage and ram customer care just agrees with the dealer because they are "factory trained".

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Take a deep breath..... ready? ... I agree, this is a very, very poor position on Dodge's part. It's unacceptable that someone has to get told crap like that. I'd park the truck, call the dodge brand, then leave a bad review of the dealer you left the truck at. ( can be for anything ).

Then, the next day, leave another review of the dealer. ( FYI, leaving the car at the dealer, or at home is optional. ).

Then the next day, leave another review. Keep leaving them, every single day.
Even if you make the **** up, just leave very very bad reviews of them with chrysler. Eventually, SOMEONE high up at the dealer will call you. Explain to them, that you find it unaccepable that they wont' stand behind what they sold you. And until they do, you'll call and leave bad feedback, and everyone you know will call every single day. It's tedious, sure, but i guarantee you, without a doubt, it'll work. Those reviews are done by call center techs. you get a dealer with one a day, and heads fly.

chesafreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport Crew
Engine
Take a deep breath..... ready? ... I agree, this is a very, very poor position on Dodge's part. It's unacceptable that someone has to get told crap like that. I'd park the truck, call the dodge brand, then leave a bad review of the dealer you left the truck at. ( can be for anything ).

Then, the next day, leave another review of the dealer. ( FYI, leaving the car at the dealer, or at home is optional. ).

Then the next day, leave another review. Keep leaving them, every single day.
Even if you make the **** up, just leave very very bad reviews of them with chrysler. Eventually, SOMEONE high up at the dealer will call you. Explain to them, that you find it unaccepable that they wont' stand behind what they sold you. And until they do, you'll call and leave bad feedback, and everyone you know will call every single day. It's tedious, sure, but i guarantee you, without a doubt, it'll work. Those reviews are done by call center techs. you get a dealer with one a day, and heads fly.
Kgk9j

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

chesafreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport Crew
Engine
Phone blowing up with this bickering back and forth got a pocket text out. But have to agree with everyone else yill. This design is defective. I don't do snow but in the sand the way the rear tires have to slip in order for the front to grab is not good at all. Then when trying to power through soft stuff the traction control kicking in and cutting power absolutely sucks balls. So glad it works for what you need but that doesn't mean it does for everyone.

Seems like your just trolling this debate at this point. Looked and half your posts have to do with you defending this tcase.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Phone blowing up with this bickering back and forth got a pocket text out. But have to agree with everyone else yill. This design is defective. I don't do snow but in the sand the way the rear tires have to slip in order for the front to grab is not good at all. Then when trying to power through soft stuff the traction control kicking in and cutting power absolutely sucks balls. So glad it works for what you need but that doesn't mean it does for everyone.

Seems like your just trolling this debate at this point. Looked and half your posts have to do with you defending this tcase.

Trolling not intended. I do support the tcase, it's capable. You guys are in a pick up truck, not a jeep. However, my last reply here, was a turn in the other direction on the way they are being supported by dodge. I've stopped beating the tcase argument, which is why I gave some supportive suggestions on how to get it fixed :)

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Trolling not intended. I do support the tcase, it's capable. You guys are in a pick up truck, not a jeep. However, my last reply here, was a turn in the other direction on the way they are being supported by dodge. I've stopped beating the tcase argument, which is why I gave some supportive suggestions on how to get it fixed :)
The point is a person should not have to buy a Jeep or buy a power wagon to enjoy doing some mild off roading. It isn't the best vehicle to do the job, but it is lot more capable with the 44-45 than the 44-44. Your suggestions while it might actually work for the repair it also has a major chance of getting you black listed from every single chrysler dealer in your area so if you need any other warranty work you are screwed.

chesafreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport Crew
Engine
That this is a pickup not a jeep is a weak ass statement. If i wanted an suv I with a removable top I would have one. I need a pickup bed that has 4wd. I messed up not researching the tcase but honestly didn't think I had to knowing any pickup I had for the last 15 years had a mechanical locked tcase. Guess I am naive to think that something that isn't broke will still get "fixed"...

chesafreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport Crew
Engine
The point is a person should not have to buy a Jeep or buy a power wagon to enjoy doing some mild off roading. It isn't the best vehicle to do the job, but it is lot more capable with the 44-45 than the 44-44. Your suggestions while it might actually work for the repair it also has a major chance of getting you black listed from every single chrysler dealer in your area so if you need any other warranty work you are screwed.

Was actually really debating getting the pwagon before I bought my sport but really wanted a better ride for road trips with 2 kids under 3. Old 2500 as heavy as it was didn't even need to deflate the tires and never had so much as a slip in the sand.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I wasn't implying go get a jeep or power wagon.. I'm saying, you're in a light pickup, it's going to give you mild off roading, we've already established that. It's more than an AWD system, and it's very capable. The thousands of videos show us this.

As for the repair. It won't get you blacklisted from anything. Mind you, I wouldn't try and of my shenanigans in California. However, if your'e in any of the other states, give it a go. It'll get your work done. Chrysler does not have the authority to ban you from a dealership, nor do they have the ability or authority to blacklist your vin due to calling them and complaining about them not fixing it.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Was actually really debating getting the pwagon before I bought my sport but really wanted a better ride for road trips with 2 kids under 3. Old 2500 as heavy as it was didn't even need to deflate the tires and never had so much as a slip in the sand.

Once more, that's all opinionated. My opinion is the Tcase is rock solid, and works for everything I want. I go off road, heavily, and i don't just play in the sand, I actually go off-road, places small trucks don't belong. I don't get stuck. Granted, as others have pointed out, good for me.

If you don't get to experience the same as I do, thousands of others do. It's hard to agree with something that has no real basis to support the alligations of it being " worse ".

I get that it's cool to be on the " I hate it " bandwagon, but i'm not. My opinion is just as good as yours, you should accept that.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I wasn't implying go get a jeep or power wagon.. I'm saying, you're in a light pickup, it's going to give you mild off roading, we've already established that. It's more than an AWD system, and it's very capable. The thousands of videos show us this.

As for the repair. It won't get you blacklisted from anything. Mind you, I wouldn't try and of my shenanigans in California. However, if your'e in any of the other states, give it a go. It'll get your work done. Chrysler does not have the authority to ban you from a dealership, nor do they have the ability or authority to blacklist your vin due to calling them and complaining about them not fixing it.
You obviously haven't actually tried that theory before. You are correct they won't/can't block you, but they can blow off your complaints everytime you go in, trust me I've done it. My wife's grand cherokee has been in the shop so much it isn't even funny and it took me 4 different dealers to get one that would actually listen to complaints and fix the issues, when pressed talking to the service managers and such only made it worse. So it is good in principle but in real world it will just cause more headaches.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You obviously haven't actually tried that theory before. You are correct they won't/can't block you, but they can blow off your complaints everytime you go in, trust me I've done it. My wife's grand cherokee has been in the shop so much it isn't even funny and it took me 4 different dealers to get one that would actually listen to complaints and fix the issues when pressed talking to the service managers and such only made it worse. So it is good in principle but in real world, it will just cause more headaches.

Well, just as many of the warriors will say " That seems to only work for you ". What's fine, if you call corporate and file a complaint with THAT store the dealer that won't help you, and you do it every single day, hell, multiple times a day, someone from THAT dealer will call you. They have no choice. If the wrong person calls, demand to speak to the general manager. I know exactly how it works, those CANT be dismissed, they are used for dealer incentives in regards to sales, and back office kickbacks. they can NOT be ignored, and will be on the history of the dealership with the ram brand for the life of the license. Period, that's factual, your " personal " experience would be wrong if it's anything other than what I just said.

I know that you're one to always have to have the last word, and you'll likely always need a way to be " the right guy ", so I won't hold my breath anymore. For anyone that actually NEEDS to get something done, what I just laid out does work, will work, and personal experience on your part means nothing. You're doing it wrong if it's not working. The problem is so many of you are not creative enough.

I've offered to make pretty videos for any scenario you guys need. I've heard that the transfer case heats up with fresh powder, assuming less than an inch? It can't make it through loose sand, 4 inches? 3 inches? No one gives specifics. What seems to be getting the trucks stuck? If there are such an abundance of them not performing, where are they? What's not performing? You get exaggerated examples of what's not working, but nothing that actually matters. Where are the videos? Where are the trucks getting stuck in an inch of snow? Surely, if the case sucks SO bad, people would be ******** about them actually failing to work, not just ******** about the way they work.

Last edited:

baydog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Once more, that's all opinionated. My opinion is the Tcase is rock solid, and works for everything I want. I go off road, heavily, and i don't just play in the sand, I actually go off-road, places small trucks don't belong. I don't get stuck. Granted, as others have pointed out, good for me.

If you don't get to experience the same as I do, thousands of others do. It's hard to agree with something that has no real basis to support the alligations of it being " worse ".

I get that it's cool to be on the " I hate it " bandwagon, but i'm not. My opinion is just as good as yours, you should accept that.
Your opinion started with this truck you have now. Some of us have been running 4x4 half ton trucks since before you were born and know what we expect. As others have said, if you are happy with your truck, good for you. I ran a buddies 2013 sport last night to move one of my trailers around in the snow. It has a two inch lift and 35's, and it suffers from the same maladies as mine in stock form with AT tires.
There is no doubt that the Ram Sport is the easiest truck to drive, nimble, quick, great visibility, awesome power, great interior, great ride........Transfer case sucks, causing transfer case wear and transmission wear. Not to mention off road problems.
Deal breaker for me. My next truck will not have this transfer case........This coming from a guy that has had five brand new Dodge trucks in a row.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well, just as many of the warriors will say " That seems to only work for you ". What's fine, if you call corporate and file a complaint with THAT store the dealer that won't help you, and you do it every single day, hell, multiple times a day, someone from THAT dealer will call you. They have no choice. If the wrong person calls, demand to speak to the general manager. I know exactly how it works, those CANT be dismissed, they are used for dealer incentives in regards to sales, and back office kickbacks. they can NOT be ignored, and will be on the history of the dealership with the ram brand for the life of the license. Period, that's factual, your " personal " experience would be wrong if it's anything other than what I just said.

I know that you're one to always have to have the last word, and you'll likely always need a way to be " the right guy ", so I won't hold my breath anymore. For anyone that actually NEEDS to get something done, what I just laid out does work, will work, and personal experience on your part means nothing. You're doing it wrong if it's not working. The problem is so many of you are not creative enough.

I've offered to make pretty videos for any scenario you guys need. I've heard that the transfer case heats up with fresh powder, assuming less than an inch? It can't make it through loose sand, 4 inches? 3 inches? No one gives specifics. What seems to be getting the trucks stuck? If there are such an abundance of them not performing, where are they? What's not performing? You get exaggerated examples of what's not working, but nothing that actually matters. Where are the videos? Where are the trucks getting stuck in an inch of snow? Surely, if the case sucks SO bad, people would be ******** about them actually failing to work, not just ******** about the way they work.
I couldn't care less about what everyone else experiences, all I know is what my truck did which was overheat the clutch and made it a huge pain to move a trailer in the snow.
There is not one reason to have this transfer case in a truck other than to satisfy the needs of people who cannot remember to not use their 4wd on dry pavement. You want to defend a decision that keeps the dumbing down of society going go right ahead. I'll sit here knowing whatever I ever get my truck into I never have to worry if I will have an issue with my transfer case again.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I couldn't care less about what everyone else experiences, all I know is what my truck did which was overheat the clutch and made it a huge pain to move a trailer in the snow.
There is not one reason to have this transfer case in a truck other than to satisfy the needs of people who cannot remember to not use their 4wd on dry pavement. You want to defend a decision that keeps the dumbing down of society going go right ahead. I'll sit here knowing whatever I ever get my truck into I never have to worry if I will have an issue with my transfer case again.

see now we agree, I've never said it belongs in a truck, I said it's a solid case, and does what it needs to for a light pick up. I'd much rather have the power wagon. No one is doubting you're having issues, it sucks, it sucks more that you had to spend so much money to get something your not happy with. The bottom line is, if YOU spent the cash, and YOUR not happy, then it's a problem that concerns you. I agree man, your entire situation, and everyone else that's getting the **** end of the stick , it sucks. I WISH people wern't so ignorant, and I wish trucks could be sold without worrying about idiots tearing up the case, causing us to use software to replace personal preference. However... we don't have that, dodge is likely smiling, knowing how many people voted for hillary. :favorites13:

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just read through most of the posts since my last one. Couple things i need to throw my 2 cents on.
1- the comments about the ones having issues not having done research before buying. Ram NEVER explained how it works until we started complaining about it.
2- the 2 videos posted of it working properly, one of them the driver is on the gas, the other it sure sounds like you can hear it clunk from engaging/disengaging until it gets to glare ice. Put it somewhere the front tire has a bit of resistance and it'll do like ours. Hell i got the service to just jack up the rear axle in the shop and guess what, only rears turned and kept turning.
3- the comment about how many are out there issue free. I waited over 5 months for my replacement so theres quite a few others with issues.
4-"its not defective because nobody gets stuck", ive also never gotten stuck but i did burn one like nothing. Thats the real issue.

Im sorry for those who argue but the slipping and not locking is the way its designed and supposed to work.

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I will give it the benefit of the doubt! Since I have not pushed it hard.

The first time it leaves either myself or my family stranded in a simple snow/ice storm it will be traded in for another with a Normal chain driven TC within 24 hours.
I have owned 3-4WD trucks over the past 18 years and have never been stranded or stuck in snow/ice.

4Auto will never be used it will either be 4loc or low.

Until that time I will not bad mouth it.

Gump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd like to know if there's a certain model year that has the most failures. Wonder if it's relevant that they switched from blue to red fluid in 2014? It's amazing that the little slippage that happens can burn up the clutches. There must be few plates, or low quality. An auto trans can last a couple hundred thousand miles before burning them up, yet a tcase that gets used maybe half the time doesn't last.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'd like to know if there's a certain model year that has the most failures. Wonder if it's relevant that they switched from blue to red fluid in 2014? It's amazing that the little slippage that happens can burn up the clutches. There must be few plates, or low quality. An auto trans can last a couple hundred thousand miles before burning them up, yet a tcase that gets used maybe half the time doesn't last.
Cant answer the year question but i agree its odd how easy and fast the burn up. My high temp came on momentarily so i stopped and let things cool. Still opperated the same. Came accross this thread and realized what was going on. Decided to go to dealer to see what they would say or try to do. They checked the oil and it was full of clutch particles. Months later finally got the case replaced and still operated the same. Thats when service manager finally got told by engineers that thats how its designed. Oh and it was with the new case we tried the test in the shop.

baydog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Late build 2012 and all the way to current models with the "auto" feature will ALL suffer from this slippage. If anyone has one that doesn't, PLEASE bring it to Maine and let my dealer tear it apart and measure everything so they can make mine work. Every single one I have tried fails just like mine.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iralee