5th Gen 8.4 UAV Radio in a 4th Gen (And Possible Surround View)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bryan70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was wondering if you can help me. I have a 2016 Ram and have put in a 2021 Ram 2500 dash and 12 inch screen. It was a lot of work. When I got the screen I tested it and it worked fine. Now I am having problems with it. The screen will not turn on when I first start the truck, I have to disconnect the battery then it works. None of the buttons work, and I mean everyone. Not even the power or volume. I can adjust the volume with the steering wheel controls only. I have seen in your pictures that you have all the controls in the control screen. Any ideas?
Thanks

20220901_213050.jpg

Canadian Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 SLT
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I was wondering if you can help me. I have a 2016 Ram and have put in a 2021 Ram 2500 dash and 12 inch screen. It was a lot of work. When I got the screen I tested it and it worked fine. Now I am having problems with it. The screen will not turn on when I first start the truck, I have to disconnect the battery then it works. None of the buttons work, and I mean everyone. Not even the power or volume. I can adjust the volume with the steering wheel controls only. I have seen in your pictures that you have all the controls in the control screen. Any ideas?
Thanks

View attachment 501324
wow, that's awesome that you got the dash to work.
Assuming just lots of custom wiring/harness' to make it work?

Bryan70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wow, that's awesome that you got the dash to work.
Assuming just lots of custom wiring/harness' to make

The only harness that I did was for the radio. I did modifications to the speedometer opening and bezel to use the original speedometer. I also used the original headlight switch. Just used the new headlight switch bezel and made a fill plate to mount the original switch. The ignition from the new dash works with the original wiring. The new 4wd switch is also able to use the original harness. The part that took the longest was making the original heater box work with the new dash duct work. The original dash brace had to be modified. I should have just purchased a new brace for the dash.

Bryan70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make sure you enable the DCSD (Disassociated Center Stack Display) in the "Cabin Net" section in the BCM.
I saw this in one of your earlier posts. I have done this. The battery has been disconnected for about 3 weeks now. It must be taking time to activate.
When this activates, will the control screen have the buttons for the backup camera and the third brake light camera like it did on the 8 inch screen?

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I saw this in one of your earlier posts. I have done this. The battery has been disconnected for about 3 weeks now. It must be taking time to activate.
When this activates, will the control screen have the buttons for the backup camera and the third brake light camera like it did on the 8 inch screen?
On the older 8.4 screens it takes several hours/power cycles for the radio to display all features again. If that helps...

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the same issue when I did the swap originally and ended up having to swap the BCM. My 2015 BCM would allow me to set the DCSD setting but wouldn't actually broadcast it on the network. It's possible that early build 2016s have the same issue.

Bryan70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same issue when I did the swap originally and ended up having to swap the BCM. My 2015 BCM would allow me to set the DCSD setting but wouldn't actually broadcast it on the network. It's possible that early build 2016s have the same issue.
What year would you recommend to get it from? I may have access to one from a 2018 sport

Bryan70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What year would you recommend to get it from? I may have access to one from a 2018 sport
I just checked and the screen comes on and the camera buttons are there and working.
The only problem that I still have is the volume, tune, mute, power and screen off buttons are not working.
Any ideas?

OP
OP
J

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just checked and the screen comes on and the camera buttons are there and working.
The only problem that I still have is the volume, tune, mute, power and screen off buttons are not working.
Any ideas?
Make sure cabin Net: ICS Integrated Center Stack is not enabled

Bryan70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the help from everyone
Just another question. The temperature will it adjust. I choose a temperature and it just stays cold.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Bryan70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make sure you enable the DCSD (Disassociated Center Stack Display) in the "Cabin Net" section in the BCM.
Thanks
When you put in the 12 inch radio did you have any issues with the heat control? I am not able to switch between hot and cold. It stays on cold

LoganXMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I really need some guidance here, y'all... I have a 2015 Ram Ecodiesel. I bought a nearly brand new 2019 Ram 1500 UAV unit from a guy, and I lost steering wheel controls and backup camera after I installed it. Anyway, the burgundy/maroon cable is now orphaned and free-floating, because it won't go on the red fakra spot (which I have since found out is the place the new cameras are supposed to plug in?). The white and yellow fakras went on perfectly, as would be expected.

Anyway, I am wondering if I need to replace other parts? The heat and air both work, but it isn't showing the temperature or anything in the truck. I know I need to change the media hub in the armrest box, but which one do I need? Should I get the latest one, or should I get the one for the UAQ? I'm super confused about that.

My truck already had the 8.4 VP4 Harman unit, but I don't know what else I need to do to get this up and running properly. I'm going to check after leaving it sit overnight to see if anything changed. Not sure if that still applies in my situation, though. If anyone has any advice for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. I keep seeing stuff about changing BCM, adapters for the media hub, a new media hub, etc. I'm kind of confused with all of the conflicting info.

I think of all of my questions, the most important one is: Which year BCM should I get for the UAV??

Soto2610

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I am sort of working on that. I just gave my buddy the screen and bezel to 3D scan at work.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Been following the thread for a few months now and wanna say thank you to the ones who’ve been pioneering this project making the newer screen and add ons more affordable without buying a brand new truck. @Roman217 was your buddy able to 3D print a bezel for the trucks and if so is it possible to purchase one along with the little black magical box for the hvac controls from you? I’m in the middle of installing my 12” screen into my 2014 ram 3500 but I’ve managed to butcher my bezel and will be ordering a new for for round 2.

Elrover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2015 ram 2500 with the 8.4 radio. I was able to get the 8.4 screen, radio module and cable from a 2021 Chrysler Pacifica.
I did the install friday and as soon as I plugged it, the screen turned on with the Ram logo. Everything seemed to work except the reverse camera.
I let the truck sit for an hour doing other stuff and now the screen doesn't turn on. I checked my connection, they were good. I unplugged the large radio module connector and plugged it back and the screen came back on. Left the truck at work over the weekend and now it does the same thing, screen doesn't turn on.

Thanks for this great forum and all of the smart people here!!!