5TH Gen Alfa OBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BJSwizzle

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7L
I found this interesting write up on another 5th Gen ram site for an 8.4 to 12 conversion, is there a link in this forum for a similar conversion?

8.4 non nav to 12.1

1. you will need to acquire a android device, an app called alphaobd, a Bluetooth obdlink Mx, and a security gateway bypass module from infotainment. Also need part # 68082364AC.

2. you will need bezel, screen and module. Pm if you would like a package deal.

3. there is a good youtube video on removing 8.4 and installing 12 inch. (for installation instruction only) Not for programming. Stop watching at 3 minutes 22 seconds because the rest is useless unless you spend 4k on there 12 inch

4. rewire the 8 pin plug that will plug into back of new 12 inch unit.

current Move to pin

1 orange to 2

4 red to 1

5 white to 6

7 black to 8

8 white/dark blue to 3

Install 12.1 in dash. Using all existing plugs. And the Jumper wire ( # 68082364AC will plug into module and then to the back of 12.1

5.you need to install security bypass module. If you have a 2500 it is located behind instrument cluster.

After cluster is remove there is a black box with 2 plugs. Unplug them and plug them into security bypass.

Connect your obd mx into obd port and connect to alpha obd ap on android device.

Choose ram 2500 (DJ/DR)

Choose body computer select body control module my 2019

Choose Car configuration change. Go almost all the way down the list till you come to

Cab Net ICS integrated center stack. Click it and disable it.

Scroll down a couple and click on Cabin Net DCSD display screen module and enable it.

If you cant get AC to work move to next step

6.Now for hvac controls.

Connect again to body control module go to car configuration then vehicle config 3 HVAC

Select value tab : dual zone ATC .

Hit start. And done

Note: sometimes it take a few times driving for sirus radio and back up camera to start working again.

BJSwizzle

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7L
Been think thinking of trying this in my 2019 Ram Sport at some point, found a dude selling a unit with module which I hear is hard to find. Besides the infotainment video, I haven’t found a write up on programming the BCM with alfaobd, as obd genie does not sell there programmer separate. Wondering if this guys write up works.
There video shows a harness as well which I’m not sure where to find at the moment.

Attachments

• D7880D1F-538F-4F7E-B1C4-423DC2BE9DF2.png
    D7880D1F-538F-4F7E-B1C4-423DC2BE9DF2.png
    387.5 KB · Views: 7

BJSwizzle

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7L
I found this interesting write up on another 5th Gen ram site for an 8.4 to 12 conversion, is there a link in this forum for a similar conversion?

8.4 non nav to 12.1

1. you will need to acquire a android device, an app called alphaobd, a Bluetooth obdlink Mx, and a security gateway bypass module from infotainment. Also need part # 68082364AC.

2. you will need bezel, screen and module. Pm if you would like a package deal.

3. there is a good youtube video on removing 8.4 and installing 12 inch. (for installation instruction only) Not for programming. Stop watching at 3 minutes 22 seconds because the rest is useless unless you spend 4k on there 12 inch

4. rewire the 8 pin plug that will plug into back of new 12 inch unit.

current Move to pin

1 orange to 2

4 red to 1

5 white to 6

7 black to 8

8 white/dark blue to 3

Install 12.1 in dash. Using all existing plugs. And the Jumper wire ( # 68082364AC will plug into module and then to the back of 12.1

5.you need to install security bypass module. If you have a 2500 it is located behind instrument cluster.

After cluster is remove there is a black box with 2 plugs. Unplug them and plug them into security bypass.

Connect your obd mx into obd port and connect to alpha obd ap on android device.

Choose ram 2500 (DJ/DR)

Choose body computer select body control module my 2019

Choose Car configuration change. Go almost all the way down the list till you come to

Cab Net ICS integrated center stack. Click it and disable it.

Scroll down a couple and click on Cabin Net DCSD display screen module and enable it.

If you cant get AC to work move to next step

6.Now for hvac controls.

Connect again to body control module go to car configuration then vehicle config 3 HVAC

Select value tab : dual zone ATC .

Hit start. And done

Note: sometimes it take a few times driving for sirus radio and back up camera to start working again.
Been having an issue with no climate controls on my 12”, I forgot I reposted this set up, looks like I may have solved it lol!

fearroyo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
On my 2017, I converted to push button start and passive entry. During that process you had the ability to program the new remotes. Now my 2021 already has push button start. I will eventually add the antenna and handles for passive entry. However, I only have a single remote and would like to program an additional. Does anyone know if the additional remote can be programmed with Alfa? I know there's no other programming method without going to the dealer, so checking on Alfa.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Not that I know of. From what I understand the programming goes through the RF hub, something AlfaOBD cannot access.

fearroyo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Not that I know of. From what I understand the programming goes through the RF hub, something AlfaOBD cannot access.
Is that just on the 5th gen? Alfa had RF Hub access on the 4th gen.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I never had a 4th gen but I know that you can't access the RF hub on a 5th gen with AlfaOBD at this time.

Fireman48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New body style
Engine
5.7. HEMI
Not sure if I'm in the right place. 2019 Ram new body Dt 1500. I just got the OBD MX+ and downloaded the Alpha app to my Android. I need to change the tire size. A couple issues.
I dont know which body computer to select. There are about 6 choices. I tried a few, made it to the tire change. I converted the tire size in inches to mm 34" to 864mm to start but it still says I need to select one of the tires in the drop down menu. I cant get past that.
I watched this video
https://youtu.be/HlKk3YZ7ecI and he input a tire size of 2600mm. What am I missing?
He also made changes to th ABS system as well. Is that needed?

Any help appreciated. Links to info or a walk thru.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
AlfaOBD should detect and select the correct BCM.

As for changing the tire size I have not done that personally.

There is a huge thread (70+ pages) on the 5thgenrams forum that I'm pretty sure has info that could be useful.

This forum won't let me post links to that "other" forum so Google search "5thgenrams Alfa OBD" if you want to check it out.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Has anybody added heated steering wheel without adding heated seats? I have read that there is a module under the passenger seat on models with heated wheel and heated seats that controls both functions. Wondering if I can get the heated steering wheel and also get the module that goes under the seat and then just turn on the heated steering wheel with AlfaOBD.

For reference I have a base model TRX so I don’t even know if all the wiring is present to do this.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
YES, the module for heated seats is under the Front Pax seat. I do not know if it controls the steering wheel also? I just have a Bighorn with Heated Seats and Steering wheel, which automatically activate under 40 degrees F. (when enabled of course).

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Use the circumference option instead of the dedicated tire size. You may have to change it a few times to get it perfect, use this to get a baseline to start, you have to enter the calculation in mm: https://tiresize.com/calculator/
i took a cloth measuring tape and wrapped around my tire. perfect the first time. :)

Wirerat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just installed the kaodech security bypass. Successfully disabled the fog light drop out. I already had the obdi LX and the app from my 4th Gen.

I really just wanted to be able to read and clear codes since I already had the equipment.

Last edited:

P_Walker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L TD D2
I just received my OBDLink MX+ and Kaodtech Bypass harness and everything so far seems pretty straightforward. I was wondering, has anyone actually left their harness temporarily installed while taking it to a Dealer for service? Other than refusing to honor a warranty, what legally could they do to you for modifying your own vehicle? Just curious...

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just received my OBDLink MX+ and Kaodtech Bypass harness and everything so far seems pretty straightforward. I was wondering, has anyone actually left their harness temporarily installed while taking it to a Dealer for service? Other than refusing to honor a warranty, what legally could they do to you for modifying your own vehicle? Just curious...

I did twice. they didn't really say anything. I had PC still connected as well. Dealer, I went to didn't say anything, but yours could. Always better to remove it.
I'm using module, I have cable, but it was pain in ass to install that.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
It's completely passive but any non-OEM item could void your warranty. I've not read of anyone getting called out for a gateway bypass but I have read of people getting hit for having a Tazer installed. Not everyone in the service department knows what they are, some wouldn't understand and just see it as a non-OEM modification, and most don't care to figure it out as they are dealing with 100 vehicles a day.

While it seems like a ridiculously small thing especially since it's 100% passive and does nothing but bypass the security gateway that wasn't even in trucks until 2018 (although it does allow you access to truck functions to modify them with the proper software).

They care about what corporate will pay them to do under the warranty contract. The more stuff you do to your truck (unless it is Mopar parts installed at a Mopar service department) the less chance they can get corporate to pay them to work on your truck.

I'm not sure exactly how the process works but once you get tagged with something that voids your warranty I'm pretty sure it gets entered against your VIN so you won't be able to get a fresh start at another dealership.

I can see if you have an HD where the gateway is behind the instrument cluster but, for me, it's not worth the risk especially since it's a 2 minute job to remove it or install it on a 1500.

Just my .02

Killerb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500
I would definitely remove it!. Had issues with my CTD and apparently when the tech saw this he Told the service advisor I had a tuner on the truck and flat out says we are making a note of that and asked why this was installed.
Told them it was for winter/summer tire change calibration and to turn on led lighting. They Did Not like this bypass in the truck!.
Just remove it when getting service.

Davidskywalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L
Hello folks,

I finally got my alpha obd2 app, the bypass cable to work, but I can not seem to get the global windows down feature to work on my 2019 ram 3500 model. I was able to get the high beams ON while not disabling the fog lights (feature).
I have seen several videos enabling the global windows down with older ram trucks, but no one with this new key fob or with a 2019 model or newer.
Am I missing something? Some kind of trick? Or does anyone has a link to a video or someone who has gotten to work? Thanks

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello folks,

I finally got my alpha obd2 app, the bypass cable to work, but I can not seem to get the global windows down feature to work on my 2019 ram 3500 model. I was able to get the high beams ON while not disabling the fog lights (feature).
I have seen several videos enabling the global windows down with older ram trucks, but no one with this new key fob or with a 2019 model or newer.
Am I missing something? Some kind of trick? Or does anyone has a link to a video or someone who has gotten to work? Thanks
I believe they stopped that feature in 2019 so you won't be able to activate it. My 11 ram had it and I wish my 21 did too