6.4 HEMI - Aftermarket Muffler for Old Man

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Did you have dual exhaust on your 1500? Everything on mine is stock besides the muffler and I think its really quiet besides on first startup when you're outside the truck.
I had factory exhaust, with dual exits under the bumper

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Another direction for consideration:

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/installed-custom-exhaust-on-15-2500-4x4-sc-lb-with-5-7.143883/

I presume you could do about the same thing with the 6.4. Mine's gotten a little throatier after about 15K miles since installation, and has a really nice raspy sound at idle. Doesn't drone at speed, but when I was pulling a loaded 25' enclosed trailer when we moved, it was definitely LOUD going up hills. Just normal driving around is 'throaty,' but not what I'd call 'dude loud.'

es

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I would love to do a custom header-back dual setup if I could ever find a competent exhaust shop. It's like finding unicorns in my area.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Yep - Magnaflow is in the "dude" muffler realm - make a lot of noise to annoy others & draw attention to yourself, regardless of performance benefit. Not for old guys anymore.

I'm going either with Solo Mach 82 or Flowmaster Big Block (if I can get in SS). Still evaluating. Frequent snow & cold here is slowing me down.

I run a Magna Flow cat back and it's pretty tame. Has a muffler and what I assume to be a resonator.

Last edited:

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had factory exhaust, with dual exits under the bumper
Maybe the 2 tailpipes made it louder then just a single? Or maybe I'm just more deaf then I think I am. I'll be replacing mine in the spring with something a little louder since the previous owner or the shop he had do it didn't use stainless steel pipes to connect the muffler and they're rusted to crap now.

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
I ordered a cheap Gibson single exit stainless from Amazon when they were basically giving away their last couple in the warehouse, I think it was $299. I put it on for two days, it was loud, droned a lot— the truck likes to lug a lot and that was when it droned, along with the highway drone... I don’t remember but am thinking it was around between 1600-1800 rpm.

People were saying the Aeroturbine 3535xl might be a choice for something that is not over the top loud and supposedly doesn’t drone too bad.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Ok, gang - the youngest measured up the factory muffler - the canister is 28-1/4 inches long! There is a double hanger welded to the exit end, and a single hanger welded to the entry end. Inlet & outlet is 3-1/2 inch diameter.

I have never seen a muffler monstrosity like this for a gas engine. I think a retrofit would be too much for me, and too expensive to pay a shop to do, so I think I'll just drop this effort.

I appreciate all the thoughts and wisdom. I will likely install ARH headers next, since the crappy factory manifold warps and breaks bolt heads anyway.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Since you're an engineer my recommendation would be to at least remove the flapper thingy (technical term) from the OEM muffler and see if that helps. Let me know if you need better pictures.Flapper1.jpg Flapper2.jpg

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have never seen a muffler monstrosity like this for a gas engine. I think a retrofit would be too much for me, and too expensive to pay a shop to do, so I think I'll just drop this effort.

It's hard to keep that much HP quiet! :D

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
I’m hoping my exhaust will get louder with more miles. I only have 26k on my 2016. Anyone know when these exhausts break in and have better sound? If ever...

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I’ve been entertaining options as well and have two avenues in mind when it warms up a bit.

I want to see what amount of sound is muffled by both the bus muffler and tail pipe resonator muffler before I make a decision either way.

I have a reputable muffler shop near me that can fab up a test pipe to replace the tail pipe resonator. I suspect it will sound better but not raspy or obnoxious. Removing the bus muffler makes the exhaust note a bit loud for my liking.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
[QUOTE="HEMIMANN, post: 2419297, member: 106834". . . . I will likely install ARH headers next, since the crappy factory manifold warps and breaks bolt heads anyway.[/QUOTE]

Wait, your manifold bolts have sheared/broken off? Manifold warped?

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since you're an engineer my recommendation would be to at least remove the flapper thingy (technical term) from the OEM muffler and see if that helps. Let me know if you need better pictures.View attachment 232513 View attachment 232514
I had a pipe made to replace the muffler and left the resonator in tact. "looks" stock from the outside, sounds alot better. Under hard acceleration it will pop a bit, not an issue with me in NW FL as it is pretty flat and my boat is not that heavy. I never noticed the flapper or anything else visible inside the muffler. (2018 PW) The plus with an exchangeable pipe- I put the muffler back on for visits to the stealership, one of the "managers" tried to be a pain about "modified exhaust and the warranty". That's getting close to expiration...

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
[QUOTE="HEMIMANN, post: 2419297, member: 106834". . . . I will likely install ARH headers next, since the crappy factory manifold warps and breaks bolt heads anyway.

Wait, your manifold bolts have sheared/broken off? Manifold warped?[/QUOTE]

Not yet. And I don't plan to wait to pay for the extra labor to drill em out. Preventive maintenance is less costly.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I had a pipe made to replace the muffler and left the resonator in tact. "looks" stock from the outside, sounds alot better. Under hard acceleration it will pop a bit, not an issue with me in NW FL as it is pretty flat and my boat is not that heavy. I never noticed the flapper or anything else visible inside the muffler. (2018 PW) The plus with an exchangeable pipe- I put the muffler back on for visits to the stealership, one of the "managers" tried to be a pain about "modified exhaust and the warranty". That's getting close to expiration...

Yeah, I'm an engineer - I design things, and did some prototyping - I don't have a complete piping shop! I suspect digging out the flapper is a pain as well. Onward to headers.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I’ve been entertaining options as well and have two avenues in mind when it warms up a bit.

I want to see what amount of sound is muffled by both the bus muffler and tail pipe resonator muffler before I make a decision either way.

I have a reputable muffler shop near me that can fab up a test pipe to replace the tail pipe resonator. I suspect it will sound better but not raspy or obnoxious. Removing the bus muffler makes the exhaust note a bit loud for my liking.

You might check online - I recall seeing some pipe only kits?

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
It's hard to keep that much HP quiet! :D

Yeah, I'm sure they figured they'd better quiet the HD's as mostly us old guys drive 'em - and contractors that don't like drone for 1,000 mile excursions. My 1500 had a rumble to attact dude buyers.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I’m hoping my exhaust will get louder with more miles. I only have 26k on my 2016. Anyone know when these exhausts break in and have better sound? If ever...

36k on mine - still quiet. Must not have glass baffling (this is the stuff that mats with water leading to less sound attenuation over time. SS wool does not mat, and obviously all welded steel plate baffles don't either).

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
I remember the late 1990’s magnums stock exhausts sounded really throaty after 50-60k.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, I'm an engineer - I design things, and did some prototyping - I don't have a complete piping shop! I suspect digging out the flapper is a pain as well. Onward to headers.

So I ran an experiment and it takes precisely 5 good whacks with a pipe and a 5lb sledge to remove the flap. Took longer to make the 'flap removal tool' then it did to actually break the flap loose. I'm going to replace the muffler in my MF 19200 cat-back kit next week and see how it all sounds.

MufflerFlapGone.jpg BadFlap.jpg