6 Lift. Tire wear. Upper control arms. Need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maverick10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So I've owned this ram for about a year. Always needed an alignment since I got it with the 6" lift already installed. But my fairly new 35" nitto's are starting to wear. Camber way off. Can I get the Moog problem solver adjustable upper ball joints and install them in my stock upper arms? What are my options here. Don't want to burn through these tires in less than 6 months.

6" pro comp lift with coilovers.

OP
OP
Maverick10

Maverick10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I should have mentioned, when I got my new tires, a reputable shop here tried doing an alignment, but said it was already adjusted to the max. Still have camber problems. Can post alignment spec sheet if that will help

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not super familiar with the pro comp, but did it come with new tie rod ends?

I just took my rough country control arms off my truck to replace with zone since I went with a zone lift, I could send them to you for super cheap if you PM me. The RC control arms are what RC uses for their 6" lifts, so they could help with the geometry to at least see if control arms will help your alignment shop? Or find a shop with a hunter alignment machine and an experienced alignment guy with these trucks.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I should have mentioned, when I got my new tires, a reputable shop here tried doing an alignment, but said it was already adjusted to the max. Still have camber problems. Can post alignment spec sheet if that will help
Take it to another shop. Procomp sets up their geometry for oem UCA’s. Alignment techs come in all shapes and sizes and some are better than others. I own a suspension shop and have never had an issue. All we do is lift kits wheels and tires

OP
OP
Maverick10

Maverick10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Take it to another shop. Procomp sets up their geometry for oem UCA’s. Alignment techs come in all shapes and sizes and some are better than others. I own a suspension shop and have never had an issue. All we do is lift kits wheels and tires

Yeah I was thinking the same. I appreciate the feedback. Here's what it looked like before and after.

alignment.jpeg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Yeah I was thinking the same. I appreciate the feedback. Here's what it looked like before and after.

View attachment 242445

Ok so your toe is good ..... you want toe around -0.7° to 0.5° both left and right .....

Your caster is very bad ... it should be in the 3.1° - 4.5° range ....

Your camber is a bit off should be as close to 0° or -0.1° on both sides

My current alignment numbers are

L / R

Camber = -0.1° / -0.1°

Caster = 3.5° / 4.1°

Toe = 0.08 / 0.03°

I prefer my caster to be as close to 3.2° as possible and my camber as close to 0° as possible

The toe should always point in a bit but not much to help keep your truck going straight ahead

Right now with the caster you have your front end is actually a bit lower than it should be which is what they also did to mine by giving it so much positive caster .....

The camber is not too way off but should be adjusted ....

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

View attachment 242445
This is a toe and go alignment. the tech only adjusted your toe. Total toe should .be around 0.10

He/she need to adjust the camber back to zero and the caster will fall back down a little from where it's now.

Go back and tell them you didn't pay for a toe and go alignment. You want the full alignment service.

Total toe on the 0.10 area, camber 0* on both sides,or slightly neg like Cag cheech indicated -0.1 or -0.2 is ok. The -0.3* you have on the driver side will be ok if your passenger was also -0.3* in your case passenger is almost -1* which can be a little much. I bet you can tell the difference.. if your look at your front wheels they might look like this rigth now | \

OP
OP
Maverick10

Maverick10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
yeah I look at my tires and the top is out farther than the bottom. Front left wheel, looking at it from the front looks like /

OP
OP
Maverick10

Maverick10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So to fix this, is it just more adjustment? I replaced the bottom ball joints with moog problem solvers 6 months ago. Just wan to confirm if I need to order adjustable upper ball joints or if it's just an adjustment thing.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a question, have to looked at your inner tie rods? I had the same issue. Couldn’t get the alignment into spec. Changed front shocks and come to find out, inner tie rods where toast. Swapped them
Out and I haven’t had issues with algnments.

OP
OP
Maverick10

Maverick10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
This is a toe and go alignment. the tech only adjusted your toe. Total toe should .be around 0.10

He/she need to adjust the camber back to zero and the caster will fall back down a little from where it's now.

Go back and tell them you didn't pay for a toe and go alignment. You want the full alignment service.

Total toe on the 0.10 area, camber 0* on both sides,or slightly neg like Cag cheech indicated -0.1 or -0.2 is ok. The -0.3* you have on the driver side will be ok if your passenger was also -0.3* in your case passenger is almost -1* which can be a little much. I bet you can tell the difference.. if your look at your front wheels they might look like this rigth now | \

Hey appreciate the insight. So do I need adjustable uppers or just a more thorough alignment. I ask because I already ordered some but want to return if I don't need them

OP
OP
Maverick10

Maverick10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ok so your toe is good ..... you want toe around -0.7° to 0.5° both left and right .....

Your caster is very bad ... it should be in the 3.1° - 4.5° range ....

Your camber is a bit off should be as close to 0° or -0.1° on both sides

My current alignment numbers are

L / R

Camber = -0.1° / -0.1°

Caster = 3.5° / 4.1°

Toe = 0.08 / 0.03°

I prefer my caster to be as close to 3.2° as possible and my camber as close to 0° as possible

The toe should always point in a bit but not much to help keep your truck going straight ahead

Right now with the caster you have your front end is actually a bit lower than it should be which is what they also did to mine by giving it so much positive caster .....

The camber is not too way off but should be adjusted ....

Hey appreciate the help. So do I need adjustable uppers or just a more thorough alignment. I ask because I already ordered some but want to return if I don't need them

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
You can always use a better upper control arm especially if you have offset ball joints on the upper control arms ... you can then adjust your camber "AND" caster more that with the stock upper control arms ....

Since you are having trouble with your camber ... they pivot bolts might be getting loose or could be damaged from improper torquing ....

One thing that might be happening is the caster adjustment affecting your camber somehow .... the more positive caster you have the more negative camber it creates ..... so you need them to go back down on the caster so it can help you get that positive camber .... the way you drive will affect all this too ... if you care constantly taking corners or live somewhere that has a lot of curvy driving that positive caster is messing with your camber especially if it's already not as close as it can be to 0° ....

Sometimes we have to keep in mind our driving tendencies and ask ourselves if we our causing the issues as well ... even though from your alignment specs they didn't do a good job at all ...

Dsmiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMG_3460.jpegthese are my setting after getting An alignment at just tires. The right side wore pretty bad in the outside edge. It’s still wearing pretty bad after only a couple hundred miles. Any ideas? Suspension related? 2019 ram 1500 with rough country 6 inch lift.