A little vent session

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KahneFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My local dealers are a little frustrating. I have a check engine light I've had to take in twice to a dealer over an hour away (where I purchased the truck). I see the code is STILL coming on, so I'll soon be taking my truck for a 3rd visit for the same issue - EVAP code of some sort, no it's not a bad gas cap. Luckily that dealer gives me a loaner, but it's still about a 3 hour round trip each time.

Then, my U-Connect and XM stopped working on my new (new to me) truck, so I took it to a more local dealer (still 30 minutes from home due to terrible traffic to get there). When I first dropped it off I suggested that I felt it was a bad antenna... they did an update to the software and gave me my truck back telling me it was simply a software issue. I waited 24 hours (in case the system needed to refresh). Nope, still doesn't work.

So, I took it to them a second time where my service advisor greeted me in the service drive with "Oh, thanks for driving all the way here, but I've learned they actually ordered you a new radio on your last trip here and no one told me, so you'll need to bring it back when the radio comes in." (so, when I picked it up the first time, it wasn't actually even "ready").

Here we go with, trip number 3 - which again I mentioned I felt it was actually a bad antenna and not the radio, but they installed a new radio. I go and pick up the truck and as I pull out I check the XM - STILL DOESN'T WORK! But, I gave it 24 hours. Well hey look, U-Connect works now... but XM is still a no go.

I dropped it off today for drop number 4 and my 3rd time to suggest it may be a bad antenna. I spoke with my service advisor just now (after they've had my truck for 2 days now) and... what do you know... it's a bad antenna - which of course they don't have in stock, so they have to order it and I'll have to make trip #5 to fix what I suggested to them it was on trip #1. The XM people have been calling me for 3 weeks asking me how I'm liking my XM. :(

Why did you take your truck an hour away for problem #1 with the check engine light? Well, you see the problem I have listed above with making 5 trips (and 10+ hours fighting traffic) now to fix what I suggested on my first trip. And, I've had struggles with that dealer previously. So, I tried another semi-local dealer with a couple of my work trucks. Each time it took 3+ trips to fix issues on my work trucks. So, I took my latest check engine light over to another city in hopes that maybe... just maybe... they'd have a service department that can actually fix something on my first try.... nope.

Sorry for the vent session, I just don't know what to do when I can't find a local dealer to help with warranty issues (in an efficient manner). And, when I purchased my new (new to me) truck, I purchased the Ram 100K extended warranty, which I'm severely questioning myself as to why in the world I subjected myself to a Ram warranty instead of an after market warranty that I could take to ANY (certified) mechanic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KahneFan

KahneFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish I was kidding when I tell you this is how the dealer returned my truck to me to drive for the next 5 days or so until the new antenna comes in. This is a 5 minute rebuild that my service advisor couldn't get approved due to overtime.

@ramcares I'm trying my best to be patient. I really am. But, how can a manager feel sending this out on the road (for possibly 5 days) is better than 5 minutes of overtime?

20180720_171225.jpg

20180720_171838.jpg

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
dafuq?

Dude... they're seriously letting you drive that around with a big hole in it?

Did you demand a loaner? That cannot be right...

OP
OP
KahneFan

KahneFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
dafuq?

Dude... they're seriously letting you drive that around with a big hole in it?

Did you demand a loaner? That cannot be right...

Here I am in traffic heading to grab some tools to put my dash back together. It's legit. Yeah, I can't see my shifter knob, but I'm sure that's not really important.

20180720_173011.jpg

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
When I saw the image, I thought you might have told 'em to go do something carnal to themselves and just drove off like that. Still can't believe a dealership would be that unprofessional. :/

(seriously - this is like 'shame them on the local news' level stuff.)

Last edited:

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
What the Jerry Springer is going on there ? Oh you have to tell us the name of that dealership so that they can be boycotted. Even if I had to pay my guy out of my pocket, no way would I have let that leave the bay. I’m really sorry that you are going through all of this and hope they do right by you asap.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This takes the cake, never heard of anything like this, all i can say is WOW! Like Random Walk said Unprofessional. I in a service profession and on many occasions have went beyond for a customer, get paid or not.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Holy crapola, that is unreal!! Sorry you are going thru this KF. That dealer is unbelievable

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't even think it's legal for a dealership to put a vehicle back on the road if you can't properly access the transmission shifter.

Legal or not, if I were the service manager I sure wouldn't let one out of my shop looking like that. What if you get into a crash and are injured by some of that crap not being secured properly? It's a liability and a lawsuit waiting to happen.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
My local dealers are a little frustrating. I have a check engine light I've had to take in twice to a dealer over an hour away (where I purchased the truck). I see the code is STILL coming on, so I'll soon be taking my truck for a 3rd visit for the same issue - EVAP code of some sort, no it's not a bad gas cap. Luckily that dealer gives me a loaner, but it's still about a 3 hour round trip each time.

Then, my U-Connect and XM stopped working on my new (new to me) truck, so I took it to a more local dealer (still 30 minutes from home due to terrible traffic to get there). When I first dropped it off I suggested that I felt it was a bad antenna... they did an update to the software and gave me my truck back telling me it was simply a software issue. I waited 24 hours (in case the system needed to refresh). Nope, still doesn't work.

So, I took it to them a second time where my service advisor greeted me in the service drive with "Oh, thanks for driving all the way here, but I've learned they actually ordered you a new radio on your last trip here and no one told me, so you'll need to bring it back when the radio comes in." (so, when I picked it up the first time, it wasn't actually even "ready").

Here we go with, trip number 3 - which again I mentioned I felt it was actually a bad antenna and not the radio, but they installed a new radio. I go and pick up the truck and as I pull out I check the XM - STILL DOESN'T WORK! But, I gave it 24 hours. Well hey look, U-Connect works now... but XM is still a no go.

I dropped it off today for drop number 4 and my 3rd time to suggest it may be a bad antenna. I spoke with my service advisor just now (after they've had my truck for 2 days now) and... what do you know... it's a bad antenna - which of course they don't have in stock, so they have to order it and I'll have to make trip #5 to fix what I suggested to them it was on trip #1. The XM people have been calling me for 3 weeks asking me how I'm liking my XM. :(

Why did you take your truck an hour away for problem #1 with the check engine light? Well, you see the problem I have listed above with making 5 trips (and 10+ hours fighting traffic) now to fix what I suggested on my first trip. And, I've had struggles with that dealer previously. So, I tried another semi-local dealer with a couple of my work trucks. Each time it took 3+ trips to fix issues on my work trucks. So, I took my latest check engine light over to another city in hopes that maybe... just maybe... they'd have a service department that can actually fix something on my first try.... nope.

Sorry for the vent session, I just don't know what to do when I can't find a local dealer to help with warranty issues (in an efficient manner). And, when I purchased my new (new to me) truck, I purchased the Ram 100K extended warranty, which I'm severely questioning myself as to why in the world I subjected myself to a Ram warranty instead of an after market warranty that I could take to ANY (certified) mechanic.
Dang op. That is the most crazy **** I have ever seen.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH I woulda lost my **** right there in the middle of the service department. They would have lost far more than 5 minutes in labor costs from the employees it would have took to handle "the situation".

Where is ramcares?

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Here I am in traffic heading to grab some tools to put my dash back together. It's legit. Yeah, I can't see my shifter knob, but I'm sure that's not really important.

View attachment 134903
WHAT IN THE HOLY FUQ??? I swear 5-0 would be rolling code to the dealer because I would be going ape-****.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
@KahneFan is that dealer up here in Austin? Or south somewhere?

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow, that's some seriously poor service. Where's RamCares? Maybe they could have corporate spank that dealer. That was a safety hazard leaving your truck like that. Maybe this is the reason Ram can't outsell GM or Ford even though they have a better product?