A tick has appeared

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrianMiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

So I had to put new lifters and cam into my 16 ram 1500. Now I have a tick. It doesn't do it at startup. It takes around 6-10 min to start ticking. My bro in law, who did the lifter and cam repair, says it's not an exhaust leak. He used a stethoscope and he says it's in the engine, but it's past his knowledge. I can't hear it in the truck while I'm driving but it's pretty obvious when I'm outside the truck. Any clues what it could be?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many miles on the new lifters? they tend to be loud for the first 1-2k miles just changed my oil today after 2k miles on new cam and lifter and it got quieter you will always have a little bit of a tick its a hemi if you can upload a vid of it running that would also help.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It's most likely lifter tick or a pushrod that wasnt cupped correctly on install. It is a matter of fact if it gets worse it is likely the pushrod, they almost always get worse as you go and at that point is a must change. Look up lubrication strategies in my sig, I would change the oil and look for metal in oil and cut open filter. So it wasnt ticking before the new cam?

OP
OP
B

BrianMiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm gonna say 2k since the cam and lifters were changed. It wasn't ticking until the lifter started getting really bad, and it's been ticking ever since we changed the lifters and cam. However, it seems to be taking longer to start ticking. At first it ticked at ignition, but now it's several minutes. I'll try to post a video tomorrow.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Bottom line if it ticks at warm idle it is the worst tick, and this sounds like what you have. Read the threads in my sig, see poll results on 100's of rams, see if it helps. So what you could do is get a bottle of lubegard biotech and dump it in today or tomorrow, see if there is any change at all. Most ticks are at start up, and you say it doesnt tick at start up but actually after a while? Sounds like an issue and isnt the usual garden variety lifter tick. Ask your mechanic if he is sure he installed pushrods correctly. If you do have to crack it open and it is the pushrod, it will be very easy to identify because it will be bent if that is the issue.

It is the number one reason new cams tick and is very easy to screw up. We see this all the time, so it isnt a knock on the guy, it just is one of those things.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Small upside it is not an 8 legged variety..little comfort until you get one of those suckers in an awkward place!

OP
OP
B

BrianMiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I started with the cheapest solution. Redline 5w-30 with some Lucas. Tick is so quiet that I have to stick my head in the wheel well to hear it clearly.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Pay attention if tick gets worse, poor throttle response, or rough idle, let us know. The issue with lucas is that it is so thick it can hide sounds, it is different from redline that actually provides metal protection and metal sliding, as opposed to the cushioning effect of super high visc. If it gets better, all is good, if it gets worse, need to address it.

brad byron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
is it a Pentistar V6 or a Hemi. did you replace the Cam Followers, as well..?? they're a huge known issue cause the pin roller bearings go bad.