AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've often wondered why this is, my guess is manufacturing. So they only have to make one or a couple cookie cutter BCMs. Only difference being the software for the trim package?
I'm not sure. We have always pretty much assumed that it's because they don't want people being able to add certain options to lower trim levels. FCA can unlock codes in your Vin# through the W.I.C (Warranty Information Center). They used to be known to do it on rare occasions if your dealer was willing to go through the request procedure but it's pretty much impossible to have them do it now. Luckily we now have the alfa tool and can pretty much enable any code we want without the dealer and even enable codes that aren't allowed in any truck such as the fog light dropout feature and global down feature to just name a couple.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't know if i explained it right, say they had to make 60 different BCMs for all the different chrysler vehicles out there. From a manufacturing stand point it would make more sense to make just one or two for all those cars, (whoever makes the actual circuit board, ie Delphi, china, whoever) Then when its time to program them they do so by say VIN, ie Trim level. Tradesman, may have a lot of your greyed out options say. Big horn, loaded truck just has less greyed out more available.

I'm sure lots of things in the world are made like this.

But now i understand what you mean, and it makes sense. They don't want you to have access to something you didn't originally pay for.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like OCDTech said.....its a numbers thing. Look at all the possible configurations of a RAM 1500. FCA would be stupid to create a BCM for each....far easier to use the same BCM with settings turned off and/or inaccessible if the trim level was never offered with it.

Its not at all a new thing to offer higher end options only in higher end trims. We're all just spoiled now that we have an easy to use app that can actually enable them.

As far as preventing us from getting options we didnt pay for....most of the "big" Alfa-enabled mods that were actually paid for options use genuine Mopar parts. They are actually making MORE money off us than the option would have cost. Granted, something like Keyless Enter-N-Go was only available on higher trims as a $195 option, but someone could spend $400 on parts to add it to a Big Horn. FCA got some of our money either way.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Personally, I'd pay a premium to order a bespoke truck with every add/on delete option available to me.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally, I'd pay a premium to order a bespoke truck with every add/on delete option available to me.

For my "baby" vehicles, I buy whatever I want in them. I dont factory order, Ill just search around until I find exactly what I want.

For my truck I didnt mind so much. After the fact its just kinda fun to add stuff that it didnt (or even COULDNT) come with.

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Luckily we now have the alfa tool and can pretty much enable any code we want without the dealer and even enable codes that aren't allowed in any truck such as the fog light dropout feature and global down feature to just name a couple.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I agree the alpha OBD is a game changer for people that want to enable features that were not activated for their trim level. I had no idea this was even possible when I first bought the truck and would still have no idea if it were not for this forum. It's interesting that as you say we can enable features not turned on for ANY level yet they still exist. It makes you wonder why the engineers added features that were never intended to be used.

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
From what i understand the Pcm lock in i believe 15+ keeps you out of just that. The 18+ OBD security thing keeps you out of everything. Unless you get the bypass cable.

It no surprise it was only going to be a matter of time before access to be able to make these kinds of mods was going to get more restricted. I'm glad I got a 15 which so far has made using the alpha pretty easy.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree the alpha OBD is a game changer for people that want to enable features that were not activated for their trim level. I had no idea this was even possible when I first bought the truck and would still have no idea if it were not for this forum. It's interesting that as you say we can enable features not turned on for ANY level yet they still exist. It makes you wonder why the engineers added features that were never intended to be used.

BCM settings arent unique across each vehicle....they created a superset of stuff, if it happens to be "read" by other nodes on the network then adding/changing it might work. Otherwise they just get ignored. The potential is there, of course, for setting something to a bad setting and causing issues. Hence why we need to be somewhat careful.

The global window drop was always in the 4th gens, they just disabled it starting in 2013 i think?

Fog light dropout Im guessing is there because other countries allow it and/or police and/or offroad-only vehicles could use it.

jshatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
It no surprise it was only going to be a matter of time before access to be able to make these kinds of mods was going to get more restricted. I'm glad I got a 15 which so far has made using the alpha pretty easy.
I got a '17 simply because it was the newest one I could get that didn't have the security gateway.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The gateway in the 18s is not to prevent owners from getting into the computer, its to prevent hackers from getting into the truck through the cell connection on the radio.

A few years ago someone was able to prove they could get into a 2014 Jeep Cherokee via the UConnect cell connection, then take over the vehicle like you were connected with AlfaOBD.....its fine if they just wanted to do stuff like enable global window down :) but what you could also do is change engine speeds, disable lights, etc. Pretty dangerous stuff.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The gateway in the 18s is not to prevent owners from getting into the computer, its to prevent hackers from getting into the truck through the cell connection on the radio.

A few years ago someone was able to prove they could get into a 2014 Jeep Cherokee via the UConnect cell connection, then take over the vehicle like you were connected with AlfaOBD.....its fine if they just wanted to do stuff like enable global window down :) but what you could also do is change engine speeds, disable lights, etc. Pretty dangerous stuff.
It was far worse. You could literally drive the vehicle by wire.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Funny, i was just thinking, they could add a little more money in their pocket as well as give us what we want which is to turn on such features. Could say charge a little fee for each thing you wanted to turn on give you a "code" when you paid to do so. Or little higher fee to give you "free roam" in there. But like a lot of other things good luck with that i guess, they have bigger fish to fry probably like locking us out completely, and charging any price they want to "do it for us".

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
PLEASE HELP- Having trouble with alphOBD, followed the step by step instructions listed for changing tire size and worked great at first, The first attempt however speedo was still slightly off. Went back in to correct this and now the truck is saying service trailer brake, 4wd temporarily unavailable, power steering isn’t working, and the speedometer isn’t working at all. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Mine did the exact same thing and I freaked out a few months ago. But yeah I cleared and waited as he mentioned and it went back to normal.

jshatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I got these 921 Auxbeam led bulbs for my reverse lights and I’m getting a “backup light out” message. I have 7” evic and non led taillights. Is there a setting I can change to get rid of the bulb out message??? Thanks!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-Backup-Reverse-Lights-Upgraded/dp/B07415TZJ8/ref=sr_1_4?crid=EO47XLBU2VKY&keywords=921+auxbeam&qid=1578351242&sprefix=921+auxbe,aps,187&sr=8-4
LED Reverse Lamps Present: Set
This one I haven't tinkered with but it might just disable warnings for all the rear lighting:
Rear Lighting DTC Disable: Not set

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LED Reverse Lamps Present: Set
This one I haven't tinkered with but it might just disable warnings for all the rear lighting:
Rear Lighting DTC Disable: Not set
Awesome!!! I appreciate the info, and will try this weekend. Do you know what that setting is under in the menu???

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That actually disables pwm (pulse width modulation) which causes the flickering

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman
So if I'm understanding this right, if we have LED bulbs in our trucks we need to set it to HID and not LED to get rid of flickering (PWM)?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
So if I'm understanding this right, if we have LED bulbs in our trucks we need to set it to HID and not LED to get rid of flickering (PWM)?

Correct. I have led disabled and hid enabled and have had zero issues

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman