AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Curious if anyone running non canbus compatible bulbs are experiencing the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have LEDs in everything except the headlight and fogs. Everything set to LED in Alfa. 0 issues, going on about 3 months now. None of the bulbs besides my reverse lights are canbus compatible but I didn't have an issue with my plate lights before changing the setting in Alfa.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are there any other options than DeerGuy's bypass module for my 2018 2500? My tabet and OBDlink will be here this evening or tomorrow and I'd like to use them ASAP. I haven't heard back from DeerGuy, sounds like he's pretty busy.
No other way, unless you build your own but you would need to order all the connectors and that will take time as well. Have you contacted @Mpgrimm2? If not shoot him a PM, he can help you.

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have aftermarket LED taillights with cheap canbus compatible LED reverse lights and license plate bulbs. Only ones that caused me errors were the license plate bulbs back around August? Set to LED, error went away and no problems since.

With as many issues we’ve had in the past it would be nice to figure this out. Problem is, with as many different manufacturers that are being used, canbus compatible or not it’s going to be hard to determine what’s going on.

TheBlackSheep

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
Installed my rear camera this past weekend, and just started using the software yesterday. I can tell that I have a good bit to learn. I did want to share a few notes about my experience so far:
1. When you purchase the software, you may want to go through Amazon app store. I purchased Amazon Coins at a discount that allowed me to save a few dollars on the app itself. The only issue with this method, is that you also have to pay the tax (if applicable) with Amazon Coins. So, I ended up spending $42 on $50 worth of coins (5000), and another $2.97 for $3 worth of coins (300) for the tax. So, I basically saved $4 on the overall price. If you already have Amazon Coins, this makes even more sense.
2. When enabling the different options for the rear camera, I did not disconnect in between each change, only once at the end. Some other settings this may not work for.

GordDavey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What happens if you try to reset the RF Hub using your original PIN for you truck?
Also, did you perform the “clear multi-module VIN handshake Immobilizer failure”? I’m assuming that’s what you were referring to above?
Jimmy, we didn’t have the PIN for the truck and so we’re not able to do anything to the RFHub. I did try to change that clear multi-module VIN handshake but got an error from Alfa and it would not take the setting. Unfortunately I ran out of time to work on it and had to fly home before we could get the PIN so I set up remote control of the tablet so I can try changing settings from home. I had asked my mechanic dad to get the pin codes before I got there but he hadn’t gotten around to it.
Right now he’s considering just grabbing an engine wiring harness and sticking the PCM in that matches the BCM and RF Hub that we currently have.

GordDavey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
GordDavey,

When you get time, can you share any and all information on getting rear sliding window working?

I have added one 2 years ago, and did with factory switch and relays, would be nice to do all factory if possible.

Thanks you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
WVRam68,

We put in an overhead console and the wires needed for it and then in Alfa I set the setting for Frameless window (I don’t remember the exact wording but I’ll dig it up when I write up our whole adventure.) and as soon as I set it enables in Alfa I heard a thunk and the the rear window switch started working.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Curious if anyone running non canbus compatible bulbs are experiencing the same?

Just to throw my experience in...

I have factory LED tails (which still use incandescent reverse bulbs)

I have an upgraded 7" EVIC (which are known to be more sensitive to bulb issues)

I've been running these LEDs in my reverse lights since Nov of 2017: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NPIYDWU ($20/pair)

I've been running these LEDs in my CHMSL/Cargo light and Plate lights since Dec of 2017: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013LMI5F0 (less than $1 each when I bought them, $1.30 each now).

The reverse bulbs do not specify anything about can-bus or not. The smaller bulbs do claim to be can-bus compatible.

I enabled the LED settings via AlphaOBD in late fall 2018.

I have never had any false bulb out readings before or after enabling the LED settings. I did have a reverse bulb go out completely, but it was before I enabled the LED settings and the seller replaced it under warranty.

Changing the LED setting stopped the various lights from flickering in my rear view camera.

While I have not opened anything up recently to examine the bulbs, I have not noticed any partial outages nor any full outages.

-K

Jdavismp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So far this is what I have found for flashing the bed lights. After installing I went into car confugure change. Toward the bottom I found truck bed lighting. Select yes and now my bed lights turn on when I press the cargo light button. This is for a 2016 Ram express.

20190319_164919.jpg

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So far this is what I have found for flashing the bed lights. After installing I went into car confugure change. Toward the bottom I found truck bed lighting. Select yes and now my bed lights turn on when I press the cargo light button. This is for a 2016 Ram express.

View attachment 159609
Do the bed lights turn on with fob unlock?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have been going through this thread, and there appears to be a change and people have been having an issue programming keys. Anyone resolve this issue yet? I do have an email into AlfaODB.

54200919_10103411765571384_3475314319892152320_o.jpg
Did you send him a debug log? This issue has been ongoing through the last few updates.

purcell1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I’ve got a brand new unused 2018 security bypass harness for a 2500 made by Deereguy. If anyone wants it send me a message! I have a 1500 and was shipped the wrong one. But he was nice enough to tell me to sell it rather than return it. d682ff3f849ed1a4d6c115b5a6acc6a3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WVRam68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
WVRam68,

We put in an overhead console and the wires needed for it and then in Alfa I set the setting for Frameless window (I don’t remember the exact wording but I’ll dig it up when I write up our whole adventure.) and as soon as I set it enables in Alfa I heard a thunk and the the rear window switch started working.

Thanks for the info GordDavey, I'll wait for the write up, while looking for a donor harness this year.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I’ve got a brand new unused 2018 security bypass harness for a 2500 made by Deereguy. If anyone wants it send me a message! I have a 1500 and was shipped the wrong one. But he was nice enough to tell me to sell it rather than return it. d682ff3f849ed1a4d6c115b5a6acc6a3.jpg

If you haven't already you may want to post this in the 2018 security bypass thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info GordDavey, I'll wait for the write up, while looking for a donor harness this year.

Any 13 to 18 rear slider harness will work. The Ram name for the power sliding rear window is backlight rear window. I connected my harness to the factory connector on my driver's side C pillar and didn't need to enable any codes. My truck already had ignition on run power to the correct connector. My truck came with the overhead console without the power sliding rear window. There are several places in your truck you can connect to an ignition on power source if your truck doesn't have the correct connector in the C pillar. Basically all it does is provide power to the switch whenever the ignition is on. The factory power inverter works the same way.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

WVRam68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks Ricks Ram.
No just gotta go on road trip, bigger yards a couple hours away, all locals ones don't grab newer Rams yet.
Appreciate all the info you bring to the site.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

juiced351

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.4 hemi
OBD MX or the MX + link what’s the difference? Do both work with Alpha OBD ?