Bilstein 5100 leveling shocks verus Coil Spacer Reviewed Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Synolimit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I know this is old but I wanted to chime in with some pics.

I installed the 5100's on my 13 express quad and...

Before install
Front-37"
Rear- 39.75"

After install set at 2.8" highest setting
Front- 39.875"
Rear- 39.75"

So you can see the front is now higher than the rear. So if you tow or anything like me you're going to need a rear 3/4" spacer. Since you'll be going up 3/4" I'd get the 5100's for the rear since it adds 0-1" of travel to the shock.

Now my concern is the front CV joints. The pics are stock and 2.8". So you can see why some like the OP blew his up.

image_zps4w9eachi.png

image_zpsfrk7jd9v.png

Now I currently have on order a 2017 Sport Crew 6'4. The plan is to install the 5100's front and rear shocks with the front set at 2.8" and a 3/4" rear spacer. I'll then save up and install a 4" lift before the front CV's blow up and set the front 5100's back to OEM height and sell the rear 3/4" spacer.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for those pics.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
I have had mine on for 6 years and 27 ,000 miles..not babied either, but no issue's with the c v's.....yet

Synolimit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have had mine on for 6 years and 27 ,000 miles..not babied either, but no issue's with the c v's.....yet

Good to know. I thought the ride was a lot harsher though at 2.8.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Good to know. I thought the ride was a lot harsher though at 2.8.

oh yes it is! but I don't mind it it's a firm ride but better than the oem crap that had the front end rocking like a boat.:)

Synolimit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
oh yes it is! but I don't mind it it's a firm ride but better than the oem crap that had the front end rocking like a boat.:)

We'll I think im gonna do 2.1" front, 0.75" rear and install 35.12" tires. It'll be more level than OEM but still have hopefully enough rake for towing.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
regardless of the setting imo, they are the best replacement for the money.

mitch732

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
looking for a reputable place in Central NJ Monmouth cty to get the Billsteins installed any recommendations

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
mine was done at a private shop...stay away from chain garages.

Synolimit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Just did mine tonight again. Pretty straightforward. Rears sucked removing the fender liner and WTF didn't they weld the nut onto the frame for the rear upper shock??! What a ***** to get back there to hold the nut still!

End results of 2.1" and 0.75" rear is 38.875F and 40.25R. I didn't measure my 2017 Sport before but I'm guessing the truck sat lower than my 2013 Express since the numbers don't add up to 2.1 and 0.75.

With the fronts at 2.1" the ride is WAY nicer than 2.8" I had on my Express. It's very smooth over bumps vs a very hard hit. Rears got a little hit to it though.

Since I'm at 1.375" rake I think I'm going to get the TTC-1223V rear springs so I don't sag at all when towing.

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used bilstein's for front set at 2.1. Left the back stock. Ride is great. I can tow my deck boat and it isnt nose high. For me, its the best compromise.

sking2001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bilsteins set at 2.1 and KO2's

Bilstein 5100 shocks (rear) and struts (front) set at 2.1. As you can see plenty level for my tastes. Went with 275/65/R20 AT KO's so they didn't look stuffed. So far so good on the ride will keep you posted.

Attachments

• IMG_2535.jpg
    IMG_2535.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_2533.jpg
    IMG_2533.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 405

Teacher

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 1500 4x4
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My dad has a crew cab short bed, my brother in law has a quad cab standard bed, my brother has a quad cab standard bed (6 cyl) and I just bought a crew cab standard bed. My dad and I just installed the 5100s and love them! My dad did the second highest setting, he wanted a small rake, and I did the top setting. Now I just need air bags for towing, and some bigger tires! I too would strongly recommend these shocks to any RAM owner. Ride quality is great. As mentioned before, my truck was too stiff with the coil spacers that were on it when I bought it...but now, it rides much better!

dan0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, I read all this and I decided that the Bilsteins are the way to go......only to find out they will not work on a 2016 1500 lol. looks like its a rough country level kit for me.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, I read all this and I decided that the Bilsteins are the way to go......only to find out they will not work on a 2016 1500 lol. looks like its a rough country level kit for me.
What ?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Many 16 Ram's have installed the Bilsteins 5100s ?

Do you have the air suspension?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
13073873685_fda1d47bda_z.jpg

13073887235_ebf4a9a598_z.jpg

So the question I have been asking myself was, am I wasting my money just changing from one level to the other, or am I even going to make it worse and have to go back to the coil spacer? So today I got my answer, and thankfully it was no. In fact the Bilstein 5100's maybe be the best upgrade I have ever done on any of my past 4x4's, and I have done total shock upgrades 4 previous times.

So the ride was similar between the ranch bumper and stock bumper with stock shocks. However, the ride became very harsh when I leveled it. I spent over an hour driving around in every condition I could, and Burla is breathing a big ol sigh of relief today my fella's.

I have ran Bilstiens before and hated them. They were the heavy duty Bil's and I had a 4 front shock setup. So bottom line the shocks had no give. These 5100's not only have proper give, but it seats that damn truck right into the road like I've never had before. Also, the coil spacer binded me up on country roads and turning. The immediate thing I felt driving away from the shop was how good it handles and feels.

So if you notice the top pick, the coil spacer puts the factory spring into the 10 inch compressed position, when you get the 5100's it immediately releases it back to the stock relaxed position of 12 inches. If you have a good eye, you can see that in the top pic each spring is less then and inch, and with the Bil's it goes up to about a perfect inch. Prior to making the changed I manually tried rocking the truck back and forth, and with the spacer it was very hard to rock back in forth. The first thing when I got my truck was do the same thing, and the truck easily rocked back and forth.

But there is more at play then just that. The spacer also puts the shock into a position where you will bottom out with any needed travel. Furthermore, if you use a coil spacer with the factory shock, then you are also using the factory shock which is nowhere near as good as just about any upgraded shock.

I am in the top position on the 5100, and it erased any rake in the truck. I knew there would be a risk of vibration, but I opted for it anyhow after talking to the shop who does these all of the time. So, my truck when it is in 4x4 and you gun it, has a little shimmy. Honestly it is so minor I fell it isn't worth mentioning, especially with the way the truck is running, but it does exist. I tried everything I could to get the shimmy in 2wd, and could not at all zero nada zelch. And like I said, only when the truck is gunned in 4x4 and only early in the power band.

If I have any recommendation in leveling a truck, it will be with out any doubt to use the leveling shocks. Yes, coil spacers work and many guys don't have problems, but ask yourself if it is the best thing for your truck when you can have this option for just a little more money, and as a bonus you are getting rid of that junky factory shock.

I really wasn't happy that I had to spend all this money to level the truck a second time, but I am absolutely ecstatic at the results. Thanks Ram Forum for the great information regarding the shocks, I literally fell in love with my truck again. There is a short cut to my home but I never take it in any of my vehicles previously, it is just a gut busting road. Well, no joke I went down this road three times today testing my shocks, and I have never seen anything like this in any truck I ever had. I will take the short cut every time now. It is not just the level, but it is the rebound and over all quality of this particular Bilstiens even when compared to their yellow shocks.

The 5100 is the proper way to level a truck, the coil spacer is not IMO.
Yep , this is true !

dan0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No air susp. , I went to 4WheelParts to check pricing and the site shows not for a 2016. I then went to bilstein.com and they also show not for a 2016 1500. what am I missing?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No air susp. , I went to 4WheelParts to check pricing and the site shows not for a 2016. I then went to bilstein.com and they also show not for a 2016 1500. what am I missing?
Not sure Sir , I'd say the site is just not updated ...

Do Not install spacers up front though .

Confirm it for yourself , but the bilsteins 5100s are your best bet for a level .