Brake Control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TFCO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello All,

I own a 2016 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi engine with the tow package. Unfortunately the truck did not come with a brake control. I was looking into buying one but found the OEM control is expensive... I was hoping someone here might happen to know of a good aftermarket controller that would be plug and play. And would be ideal for my truck.

Thanks!

sporty570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I was in your same boat when I bought my RV trailer. I decided to take the bigger hit to the wallet and buy the OEM switch online then dealer flashed the truck. It works flawlessly, works with the front info center and way cleaner look. You won't regret it.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The P3 is a great controller, but I think the factory controller is worth it in this case.
^^^ what he said
The OEM ITBM is definitely worth the added cost over an aftermarket controller. Aside from the being able to the trailer brake status on your dash, it incorporates electronic Trailer Sway Control. The trailer braking is determined by braking force and vehicle speed, something aftermarket controllers can't do.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^ what he said
The OEM ITBM is definitely worth the added cost over an aftermarket controller. Aside from the being able to the trailer brake status on your dash, it incorporates electronic Trailer Sway Control. The trailer braking is determined by braking force and vehicle speed, something aftermarket controllers can't do.

DITTO, when I bought MY 19, there was no TT Controls. I was fortunate as I worked a deal with my Dealer and the Controls were purchased and installed for free, part of my purchasing the truck...

OP
OP
T

TFCO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also have a 2016 Ram 1500 with 5.7. I bought the Tekonsha P3 brake controller. You'll also need the wiring harness #3024P Amazon!

Any chance you would mind sharing a pic of where you mounted your controller. Also if aftermarket there is no reason to have your truck flashed as you would with a OEM controller.

Thanks again!

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Watch Ebay you can find them cheap on there. I got mine for $140 installed myself then used AlfaOBD did the flash.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any chance you would mind sharing a pic of where you mounted your controller. Also if aftermarket there is no reason to have your truck flashed as you would with a OEM controller.

Thanks again!

If that was a question, then yes you do not need to have your truck flashed when using an aftermarket brake controller. I use the P3 as well. I mounted mine on the right side of the steering column. I'll post a pic later when I get a chance.

Here's where I mounted mine. I wanted it well within reach of the manual switch.

20190426_070240.jpg

Last edited:

Matthew Thibodeau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Thanks again!
Here's where I mounted mine. I put it just below the storage drawer. The drawer opens fine. I was going to mount it to the right of the steering column, but I couldn't see it while I was driving. Hope this helps.20190425_074044.jpg

OP
OP
T

TFCO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Perfect!!! Much appreciated... So the wiring hook up is right behind where you have the controller mounted.

Thanks

GreyShadow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport (Quad Cab)
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2016 truck also did not come with the controller. I bought a Curt brand controller from my local reputable trailer dealer.

As I type this, my truck is at my local Ram dealer, having a factory controller installed.

Needless to say, the $200 I spent on the Curt model, is money down the drain, because it is a POS.

I liked the factory controller on my old 2012, so hopefully this new model is just as good.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I bought a used controller box off ebay and new switch, works great, can add to truck using alphaobd. A lot cheaper Than new controller, install was easy, just pain to get to bolts. I also have a tek p3 controller with ram harness. Worked fine, but I like the idea of the OEM sway control built in.

Last edited:

Eclipse Aries

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just picked up an ITBC/module from rockauto for $130+ shipping. Install of the module was an exercise in finger contortion. Not hard just takes patience. Used alphaOBD to flash the EVIC and works great. When the trailer isn't connected I have this large red "no trailer connected icon on the display. I just go back into alphaOBD and turn off the trailer settings when I'm not towing until I can find a fix. If there is one.

The Flying Turkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a new to me, 2016 1500 Big Horn with the class IV hitch and for some reason no brake controller. It’s a really nice truck with center console so I didn’t want some ugly aftermarket pos screwed to the dash. I found a new OEM controller on eBay for $140. It integrates beautifully with the dash display and works better than aftermarket units. Sometimes it’s worth it to spend a little more and not be a cheapskate.

Jendsley06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just picked up an ITBC/module from rockauto for $130+ shipping. Install of the module was an exercise in finger contortion. Not hard just takes patience. Used alphaOBD to flash the EVIC and works great. When the trailer isn't connected I have this large red "no trailer connected icon on the display. I just go back into alphaOBD and turn off the trailer settings when I'm not towing until I can find a fix. If there is one.
Mine does this if I unplug the trailer from the truck with the truck running .have to turn truck off and restart to clear .easiest solution is to turn engine off while dropping the trailer .if this doesn't work, check the settings in Alfa. If I remember correctly there are two or three different places in Alfa to set it correctly. Check the Alfa obd thread and I am sure the settings are listed in the known working settings.
I really like the itbc. I found a good deal on one on Amazon if I recall correctly and programmed with alfa .very much recommend.clean look, and it really does do things automatically with the trucks stability control that no other can.