Cam failures or not. How many miles have you gone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Now the high mileage issue.

When the Hemi goes in to MDS, the only oiling the lifters see is from the rockers down to the lifters, the MDS lifter's bleed hole in the lifter oil galley, so it empties right on to the cam, now what happens to the NON MDS lifter is , the excess oil comes out the top of the lifter and runs down into the block passage between the head surface and the block....soooooooooo when the MDS lifter fails it's root cause is due to sh!TY valve springs, when the Non MDS lifter wipes out the came it's do to long periods of Idling which starves the cam lobe surface of oil

the post 2015 issues is Idle time, or when ever your Engine goes in to ECO mode for extended time periods., whether it's at a traffic light or Cruise control highway driving. Tow/haul is your friend if you are not going to disable the MDS system.

What about all those guys claiming its better to run with MDS active since that provides the most oil/lubrication to those lifters?

I'm driving a 2019, I never use MDS because I don't like how it works, just want to make sure I'm not damaging anything by always driving with MDS off (gear limiter)?

MudSkipper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What about all those guys claiming its better to run with MDS active since that provides the most oil/lubrication to those lifters?

I'm driving a 2019, I never use MDS because I don't like how it works, just want to make sure I'm not damaging anything by always driving with MDS off (gear limiter)?

rofl he is 100% wrong... like f'ing clueless wrong... the only time MDS is on is when there is no load and low rpm... If you want full pressure... take the MDS out.

Steelerdave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m nearing 80k miles on my 2014 Ram Hemi and the cam/lifter failures I have read about concern me going forward.

Please list your mileage currently, failure mileage if you had it and mfg year. I’m hoping to read some no issues responses over 100k miles!

Is this blown out of proportion about the cam/lifter failures?

Norm13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have a 2005, no MDS, 125k miles, and a 2007 with MDS, 174k miles, both good. They both see a lot of idle time and short trips in the winter so I usually change oil every 1500-2k miles during the winter cuz of the water buildup in the oil from cold temps, etc. Will run 3-4k OCI in the summer. Synthetics don't have any advantage related to water contamination issues...

The 2 cam failures I have seen personally (not on my vehicles but ones I have fixed) were around 115k miles with lots of idle time on them, both without MDS, with some oil changes over 10k miles. Oil is cheap, cam jobs aren't... You gotta pull the heads to do it, that's the only way to get the lifters out.

BTW, I wouldn't buy the cheap cam kits on eBay or Amazon either. You get what you pay for. What do you think you're gonna get for $145? Get a Melling or another name brand. Just the cam will cost upwards of $300, shop around but be careful...

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
rofl he is 100% wrong... like f'ing clueless wrong... the only time MDS is on is when there is no load and low rpm... If you want full pressure... take the MDS out.

I don't follow; who is wrong? You have to spell it out for me since I'm a little clueless at times.

JR Adams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m nearing 80k miles on my 2014 Ram Hemi and the cam/lifter failures I have read about concern me going forward.

Please list your mileage currently, failure mileage if you had it and mfg year. I’m hoping to read some no issues responses over 100k miles!

Is this blown out of proportion about the cam/lifter failures?

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
My son has put the most on his of any of the Rams in our family (2018 6.4 with 95,000 miles) but combined between the 10 our family has had we have put about 500,000 miles on them (120,000 on the 6.4's and the rest on the 5.7's) and none have ever had any engine issues. I had 70,000 on my 2013 and my step-father usually puts about 50,000 on his before trading them. Only issues any of us have had was my rear rotors pitted and rusted very bad and my son had a leak in his air conditioning but those have been the only issues with all of them.

pat wallace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2012 ram ate a cam and 1 lifter at about 139k although regular LOFs every 4500 miles Valvoline semi blend. 1 roller seized. My son had lifter failure on his 2018 at 98k with regular LOFs every 5k.

ric3xrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

LOL

it's long idle durations that hurt the cam/lifters when in ECO/MDS activation. normal driving its fine, stuck on the 405 Freeway for 30 mins...your fine, an hour no , but it's not like that one hour is going to hurt you, it's the 20-30 hours a month that add up is where we see the damage.

there is also what is know as LLV(low lifter value) where the solenoids block 50% of the oil feed, that happens during part time throttle . for the average owner keeping the truck out of ECO mode goes a long way towards prolong lifter cam life....for the I beat on my truck daily crowd......pull the MDS plugs and enjoy.

ric3xrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

LOL nice one , I'm sure there's good stand up comedy spot near you.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
LOL

it's long idle durations that hurt the cam/lifters when in ECO/MDS activation. normal driving its fine, stuck on the 405 Freeway for 30 mins...your fine, an hour no , but it's not like that one hour is going to hurt you, it's the 20-30 hours a month that add up is where we see the damage.

there is also what is know as LLV(low lifter value) where the solenoids block 50% of the oil feed, that happens during part time throttle . for the average owner keeping the truck out of ECO mode goes a long way towards prolong lifter cam life....for the I beat on my truck daily crowd......pull the MDS plugs and enjoy.

Well I'm a little confused because ECO/MDS is never active while idling. MDS shuts off (regardless of load) below 24 km/h (say about 15 mph). If your truck is standing still idling, you're not using MDS ever.

Also my truck never holds MDS for more than 20 seconds sustained, unless I'm going downhill. Guaranteed if I'm on country roads or the freeway, it's always turning on and off in 7th and/or 8th gear. I don't know about city driving as I never drive in the city, but I'd imagine you could never possibly drive 30 mins straight in the city with MDS turned on; as soon as you hit the skinny pedal it's going to disengage again.

If you simply mean "idling for long periods of time"; well there is a guy on youtube (truck central) with a 2019 Ram and he works that truck hard, pulling loads that make his air suspension stop working. He also has nearly 1000 idle hours in addition to his other driving hours. No failed lifters.

So I really don't know about the whole idling = lifter damage thing. If that was the case, it should happen in every truck like clockwork. Certainly in a truck that has seen that kind of idling at 100,000 miles on the OD, that's a serious amount of idling.

jwhitebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2011 1500 5.7 Hemi.
#4 cam lobe failed at 77K miles and covered under warranty.
I now have 138,000 miles with no further issues other than the ticking at start-up.
Oil changed every 5K miles religiously with a synthetic blend.
When the cam failed, I was a manager in the oil fields of ND so a lot of idling.
I’m in oil & gas, and use my truck to drive from Denver to Williston! So I’m looking at the cheapest labor for cam install

jwhitebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Looking at a cam from these guys, $1694 shipped with hellcat lifters and gaskets. https://www.modernmusclextreme.com/c-298-ram-performance-camshafts.aspx Is there a sticky to help with cam install, any other pointers, and that vvt cleaning? And for the guys who went mild 20hp cam, do y’all change up to 5-30 oil? It was recommended the new cam is non-mds. Will use diablospot itune 3 to keep it off

burner71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2012 2500 5.7
Ate the cam at 160k miles replaced with stock.
Built my own motor with 6.4 cam and performance lifters along with some valve work and dropped that motor in at 230k miles.
Replaced shift solenoid at 240k miles
Truck currently runs like a scalded ape at 256k miles

Wadecameron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2010 1500 with 5.7L hemi had to put in a reman at 190k KM.
Bought the truck at 150K and dealer records showed oil changes were done at the proper interval.
I started doing oil changes at 5-7.5K with semi synthetic high mileage and baldwin or mopar 2500 filters.

Started having a P0303 misfire code and CEL started flashing under load going up hills.

Overall rough idle with hesitation on the throttle.

Picture of one of the lifters next to a new one.

Hemi Lifters.jpg

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I’m in oil & gas, and use my truck to drive from Denver to Williston! So I’m looking at the cheapest labor for cam install
My son was in Williston for about 5 months near the end of 2019. He was staying in his camper at an indoor RV park. He was a safety coordinator on the pipeline project. He drove from Williston to the other end of the project up north every day. Racked up a ton of miles. He has a 2018 2500 6.4 and has almost 95,000 on it now. Lots of idle hours too

ric3xrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I'm a little confused because ECO/MDS is never active while idling. MDS shuts off (regardless of load) below 24 km/h (say about 15 mph). If your truck is standing still idling, you're not using MDS ever.

Also my truck never holds MDS for more than 20 seconds sustained, unless I'm going downhill. Guaranteed if I'm on country roads or the freeway, it's always turning on and off in 7th and/or 8th gear. I don't know about city driving as I never drive in the city, but I'd imagine you could never possibly drive 30 mins straight in the city with MDS turned on; as soon as you hit the skinny pedal it's going to disengage again.

If you simply mean "idling for long periods of time"; well there is a guy on youtube (truck central) with a 2019 Ram and he works that truck hard, pulling loads that make his air suspension stop working. He also has nearly 1000 idle hours in addition to his other driving hours. No failed lifters.

So I really don't know about the whole idling = lifter damage thing. If that was the case, it should happen in every truck like clockwork. Certainly in a truck that has seen that kind of idling at 100,000 miles on the OD, that's a serious amount of idling.
Anything over 11MPH (17KmH) on the 1500s the MDS is active when your foot is off the pedal... and again it'***** or miss, there are plenty of cam failures with less then 100 Idle hours, and many with above. it's not an absolute defined issue, just read thru the comments in this thread, almost no two people have the same scenario.. I'm simply pointing out what are the known cause, what FCA knows is the issue, the environment in which they happen is still a hit and miss scenario .....we had a stock 6.4srt Auto 32k mile engine on the dyno, idling, just got done doing a base run for some headers test......thing started to clatter , we shut it off, opened up the 6.4 and found the #3 intake lifter had a seized roller.

personally My experience tells me If its going to eat a cam or lifter.......It's going to do it. and you the owner are just along for the ride....best way to prevent it ,do away with the MDS system in the truck, replace the lifters with NON MDS and Pull the plugs.

separate note, I've seen his videos , 1000 Idle hours in 100k miles in less then 2 years I find that suspect, because Both of our 2019 service trucks are over 100k one hit 100k in January and now has 124k the other hit it in March and now has 110k,irony is the 110k truck eat a lifter @ 19k miles and 15 idle hours , then a month later it ate a crank, there was some shrapnel left in the pan, we rebuilt it ,I wasn't going to let the dealer rebuild it, which voided the warranty so it's been warranty void for 89k miles ...... both of those 19s were months before his 4/26 posted video ,and nether one of those trucks is over 150Idle hours, our 2014 3500 6.4 gaser has 725k on it, 580 Idle hours and both of our 2016s are in the 400k zone and neither have more than 200 idle hours.

backranch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My 2011 Ram 1500 had a lifter roller seize and machine off a cam lobe at 95,533 miles. The Ram dealer recommended that I purchase a remanufactured engine for approximately $7,000 installed.
I spoke with Ram customer assistance and they denied that lifters were failing...since I was out on time, they wouldn't consider any out-of-warranty assistance.
4,008 miles prior to this, the transmission failed and we had it towed to the same Ram dealer. They dropped the pan and called with a suggestion that we purchase a remanufactured transmission, as ours was damaged beyond repair. No assistance from the dealer or Ram was to be had, as we were out on time with the factory warranty.
We ended up having a 46K mile transmission installed.
The Ram rides nice, we enjoy the style, it's quiet but this was a ridiculous pair of failures.
I know that J. D. Power evaluates vehicles early on in the ownership period, but someone needs to address the extremely high cost of ownership.